Murray Park???

Calscot, do you fancy sticking an explanatory paragraph on your post above and sticking it in the writers' forum? Excellent post which deserves a wider audience.

I'll have to give it a think, and find some time to rewrite it a bit to make it a bit clearer instead of straight off the cuff. But I'll give it a go. :)

Agree we should not get carried away but all of these young guys, so far, look confident and comfortable on the ball and while form as a team has been a bit patchy, we are still developing as a team. But if these young guys develop over the next 3/4 years we will have an incredibly experienced team of 19/20 year olds. How great would that be, and I was as bad as anyone whinging about Auchenhowie and the lack of product.

The caveat I have for this is that you can't really tell how good kids will become, they can look like they have "potential" but they rarely become more skillful, what they get with maturity is more consistent thinking and decision making and the ability to focus and keep the head. We've been in a position in many seasons where we've talked about the great future of the club and often players just don't make it or are sold. Some are even sold for peanuts and THEN make good.

I remember, not so long ago we had the likes of McGregor, Hutton, Smith, Burke and Adam in the team - and we're now in the "future" for that time. There's been plenty of others like Malcolm, Hughs, McCormack, Murray etc...

Only caveat I have is that if that are that good, they won't be in Scotland for long!

Sadly all too true....

Hopefully while playing in the 1st team, they can build up a good reputation, which we can then cash in on & get a good fee. This fee can either be re-invested in the youth setup (preferred) or used to buy a replacement.

its a sad fact now that any players we produce through murray park will if they are good enough to pastures new we will have to go down the road that some dutch clubs are on get a few years of success from them then move them on at hansome profit ,but we as a club can still be successfull.

Nobody likes seeing these youngsters break into the first team more than me, our situation has meant that they are more opportunities and they have come earlier. Lewis McLeod was always going to make the break through it was just a matter of when, Robbie Crawford was a favourite of mine but I was beginning to think it wasn't going to.happen for him. Barrie McKay and Fraser Aird have been a bonus, having come to the club later at U18 and u17 respectively.

The good news is there are quite a few in the 16-19 bracket that could also make the step up in the next couple of seasons. Most have been at the club since a very young age, a few like Luca Gasparotto have come in at older youth ages (he came at U17) and a couple of Sinky purchases could be a success too, Stuart Urquhart, Jordan Wilson , Greg Pascazio for example.

Not all good news though, I just heard he has released another player he "bought" last summer which now makes it ELEVEN players he has purchased then released in 20 months without them making the youth team. If any of us were making so many expensive mistakes we wouldn't be in a job.

The standard and style of play of the 15's and 16's leaves a lot to be desired. Under his tenure Rangers seem to be really good up to U12's, the first season under his guidance U13, they are still usually one of the better teams if not the best, over the next 2-3 years things seem to deteriorate and we have the situation where few are making the International squads, and other clubs have overtaken us.