Murray Park???

A significant statement from McCoist

''We watched the reserves against East Fife & thought Fraser Aird was outstanding. He earned a place.''

Both parts were true, they did watch him and he was outstanding. What I would be interested to know is how many times the first team coaches have actually seen him play.

In my opinion the two outstanding players on a consistent basis in the games I've watched this season have been Luca Gasparotto and Callum Gallgher and 1st team recognition can't be far away.

"you have to wonder why mckay was picked ahead of aird to make his first team bow"

Anybody that watched the youth last season would have seen McKay was one of the few highlights and would have been ahead of Aird who is a year younger in football terms. Aird came into the youth team in second half of the season and did okay, but did not perform at the same level as McKay.

"it took only a matter of minutes to see aird is a much better player than mckay."

I have watched both for over a year and would find it hard to say who would be the better player long term, you are not comparing like for like as they have different qualities. At the moment I would have McKay just ahead, perhaps just due to exposure to a higher level of football for longer. McKay played the whole season at 19's while Aird was playing predominately at 17's.

A significant statement from McCoist

''We watched the reserves against East Fife & thought Fraser Aird was outstanding. He earned a place.''

Both parts were true, they did watch him and he was outstanding. What I would be interested to know is how many times the first team coaches have actually seen him play.

In my opinion the two outstanding players on a consistent basis in the games I've watched this season have been Luca Gasparotto and Callum Gallgher and 1st team recognition can't be far away.

"you have to wonder why mckay was picked ahead of aird to make his first team bow"

Anybody that watched the youth last season would have seen McKay was one of the few highlights and would have been ahead of Aird who is a year younger in football terms. Aird came into the youth team in second half of the season and did okay, but did not perform at the same level as McKay.

"it took only a matter of minutes to see aird is a much better player than mckay."

I have watched both for over a year and would find it hard to say who would be the better player long term, you are not comparing like for like as they have different qualities. At the moment I would have McKay just ahead, perhaps just due to exposure to a higher level of football for longer. McKay played the whole season at 19's while Aird was playing predominately at 17's.

thanks elf. i dont rate mckay at all but i am very impressed by aird so far.

For the return on the investment in it Auchenhowie has been a failure, I wonder if we will ever see a name change now that CG and murray appear to be working together.

Only if you view it purely as a youth academy.

What it provides to the first team players cant really be quantified too easily in the way youths and ROI can.

A proper scouting system would unearth talent at a fraction of the cost, we are still entrenched in the mantra of the bigger the better of Willie Waddell days.

Stories of a lax and frankly poorly managed regime at Auchenhowie abound and have done for years, they can't all be wrong, our coaching staff are not up to the mark for a premier job at Rangers.

thanks elf. i dont rate mckay at all but i am very impressed by aird so far.

watched him at the montrose game . though he did well but his decision making could be better. got into a lot of good positions but wasted the ball a lot.

the potential is there and like the others he is getting a chance to develop. the signing ban could turn out to be a real blessing in disguise.

Not sure about not having the skill, looks to me that he is trying to do everything at 100mph.

He needs to improve his passing and sometimes slow things down as you say but he goes past players easily which is a skill IMO and we don't have many willing to travel with the ball, I love to see that in any player and the more game time and good coaching (awaiting the replies to this) he could turn out to a good player.