Is Walter really what we need?

That's what I get for not reading your opening post fully.

Haha. I'm guilty of that too.

Tbh I think it is going to happen anyway. CG ally and WS have obviously had ample time to chat and feel each other out. CG will have asked him already before he went public. Going public would have been CG way of giving Walter a wee push I reckon.

If it happens it happens

I'm a bit ambivalent about Walter returning. On the postive side,

1. He came in after PLG and turned the club around and put us back on winning ways.

2. He could presumably attend all SFA meetings with CG freeing up AMc to spend time laughing with the team on the training ground.

3. He knows the club, journalists, friends within the other SPL clubs etc.

4. However the biggest positive would be that he would only return if he was convinced that CG and Zeus were on the straight and narrow, which would certainly put my mind at ease to a greater extent than has been the case, irrespective of everything that CG has said and done to date.

On the negative,

1. Everyone within the playing side would view him as the boss, which would undermine AMc. (Even if he was sitting on the main board as a non executive director, this would still be the case.)

2. If WS was appointed to the holding company board, what value does he bring in terms of business acumen?

3. Because of his close relationship with AMc, would he be prepared to advise Ally to step down, if results continue to be poor?

4. Do we return to anti-football and grind out results in the SL Div 3? No question that it has been successful over the years but surely not needed at lower divisions.

5. It could prevent a much needed overhaul of management and training that a fresh pair of eyes would introduce.

Obviously getting way ahead of myself as we dont know if this is definate and in what role he would fulfill, but not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives.

we need a manager who can manage a team with a proven record in a decent league.

Billy Davies has managed in one of the toughest leagues in europe i.e. the english championship.

However I acknowledge there are other candidates too.

I'm sorry to say that Super Ally(despite being one of our all time greats) simply isn't up to the job as Rangers manager.

WALTER SMITH was last night weighing up a dramatic return to Ibrox after being officially offered a seat on the Rangers board by Charles Green.

Record Sport can reveal chief executive Green has opened talks with the former manager in a bid to lure him back to the club as a non-executive director and those discussions have been stepped up over the last 48 hours.

Green hopes to make an announcement in the coming days as he lines up the men he wants in place in the boardroom but so far the 64-year-old has yet to commit to the deal.

Smith knows his sudden arrival back on the scene would help Green convince the masses the club is indeed in safe hands as Rangers prepare to ask fans to plough money into a share issue planned for late November or early December.

Green has also been in talks with one-time Blue Knight, Ian Harte, and Edinburgh based hedge-fund expert Stephen Adams.

Harte is a long-standing investor in the club who had previously backed Paul Murrayâ??s plan to buy the club from Craig Whyte. But now heâ??s on the verge of teaming up with Green ahead of the launch of the flotation.

Adams, of investment firm Kames Capital, is also believed to be weighing up an offer from Green and has been impressed by the blueprint to put in place solid corporate governance behind the scenes after 18 months of turmoil.

But both Harte and Adams may want to know if Smithâ??s services have been secured before either is prepared to fully commit to Greenâ??s directorial dream team.

Smith was at Ibrox to watch Wednesdayâ??s League Cup KO to Inverness and he and Green continued their discussions in the Blue Room after the game.

A number of institutional

investors were also there and Green is hoping they were not scared off by another painful beating.

Nothing is certain till the dotted line is signed, but I think this is going to happen.

It's a case of wish him luck and sit back and see what he offers in his new role. Unfortunately it also means it will be a lot harder to shift Ally