Clement Brands Rangers "Stepping Stone To Bigger Things"

Rangers midfielder Jeremy Clement says his summer move to Ibrox is a stepping stone to bigger things.

The Frenchman followed former Lyon boss Paul Le Guen to the Old Firm club back in the summer in a bid to get regular first-team action.

The 22-year-old branded the Scottish Premier League 'a minor league', but stressed that he was aiming to improve as a player with The Gers.

"Lyon are the best club in France and one of the greatest in Europe," Clement said in the Daily Record. "I have nothing but happy memories of them.

"But I wanted to get more playing time and that is what Paul Le Guen offered me at Rangers.

"So I headed over to Scotland - but it is fair to say that their championship is a minor league.

"However, Rangers are a big club with a huge support, so joining them was a good opportunity - before I revive my career at another club one day.

"But while I wait for a move to come around, my aim is to make progress."

Meanwhile, Gers captain Barry Ferguson insists there is no extra pressure to emulate Celtic's achievements in Europe.

Rangers' Old Firm rivals caused a sensation on Tuesday when a 1-0 home win over Manchester United saw The Bhoys reach the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League for the first time.

The Gers themselves are within reach of the knockout stages of the Uefa Cup after victories over Livorno and Maccabi Haifa in Group A.

A result over Auxerre in France on Thursday should see the Glasgow side follow Celtic in playing European club football in the New Year, and Ferguson is hoping to mirror Celtic's European run.

"There is no extra pressure on us because Celtic are in the last 16 of the Champions League," Ferguson said.

"We did it last season, reaching the last 16, and hopefully they can go on and do even better.

"Of course it would be good if we could match them (Celtic) by reaching the last 16 of the Uefa Cup.

"But, at this stage, I am just concerned about getting the right result against Auxerre."

I dont like Clements comments, it says to me he is using Rangers just like players in the past and we all know how times its crept up and bit former players in the butt before.

I wonder if Fergie really means he hopes Celtic go on and do better :D

But overall im sure we will progress and that means both OF teams in europe after Xmas (i think for a first time in years) which can suggest the SPL isnt that much of a minor league.

Well, i think he's only being honest, and we've had better players than him saying the same thing, i don't think it's a bad thing as they'll need to play consistently well to get a move to a better league and if they do that then they have played well for Rangers............

I wonder if Fergie really means he hopes Celtic go on and do better :D

Well if it improves the coefficiant then it will help us when we get our trophy back.

Oh and the second scottish team to qualify from the CL group stages. Big wowees:sleep: :sleep:

At least he is coming out and saying it, being open about it, just like Gio did when he came to Ibrox, it didnt stop Gio being a good player for us and as long as we are able to sell him on for a profit, i dont see the problem.

I have always thought that we would only keep him for a couple of years before a bigger club comes along and buys him.

At least he is coming out and saying it, being open about it, just like Gio did when he came to Ibrox, it didnt stop Gio being a good player for us and as long as we are able to sell him on for a profit, i dont see the problem.

I have always thought that we would only keep him for a couple of years before a bigger club comes along and buys him.

Agreed,not everybody is a Rangers fan, as long as he does the business with us then fine, and if we were to become successful again he may change his mind