WE must win title.

By Scott McDermott, Gordon Waddell

Rangers boss Ally McCoist: It won't be good enough to win promotion - we MUST win title

4 Nov 2012 00:01

THE Ibrox gaffer insists no-one at the club would deserve to be labelled 'Rangers class' if they didn't win the Division Three title this season.

Ally McCoist insists Rangers are intent on winning the title Ally McCoist insists Rangers are intent on winning the title

ALLY McCOIST last night admitted he would be a failure as Rangers boss if he doesnâ??t deliver the Third Division title.

The Ibrox side romped to a 7-0 win over Alloa in the Scottish Cup yesterday to lift some of the pressure on McCoist after his club had suffered exits from two other cup competitions.

But he knows the league is their priority â?? and insists going up through the play-offs wonâ??t be good enough. McCoist has always said his goal this season is to get out of the bottom tier by whatever means necessary.

But the Ibrox legend admits heâ??ll have a â??massive problemâ? if he doesnâ??t end up holding the Third Division trophy come May.

When asked if he could understand fansâ?? views that his players arenâ??t â??Rangers classâ?, McCoist said: â??I understand that, of course I do.

â??But I would ask: â??Are the players Rangers class for where we are at the moment?â??

â??Listen, weâ??re all in no-manâ??s land because this has never happened to us before.

â??Nobody really knows whatâ??s right or wrong and what to expect. Thatâ??s why opinions are more varied than ever. But if we donâ??t get out of the Third Division with these players we have a massive problem and NONE of us should consider ourselves Rangers class.

â??When I talk about promotion this season we have to win the league. We must. There would simply be no progress if we didnâ??t win the championship.

â??Anything less wouldnâ??t be good enough â?? even via the play-offs. Iâ??m confident we will win it and I will be very disappointed if we donâ??t.â?

Itâ??s easy to understand why McCoist is so confident after his sideâ??s ruthless display against Alloa yesterday.

And the Ibrox boss hopes Gers continue to show the same killer instinct as they bid to pull clear at the top of the table.

He said: â??When good Rangers sides in the past smelled blood they went for it.

â??Today once we got the fourth we showed a streak we havenâ??t seen before. It was pleasing.

â??I would cut our boys a bit of slack because a lot of them are comparatively new to the club and to first-team football.

â??But Rangers teams in history are ruthless and clinical.â?

Dean Shiels and Lee McCulloch laid the foundations with doubles before kid Robbie Crawford made it 5-0.

Fellow sub Barrie McKay then stole the show with two stunners late on.

And McCoist said: â??The sixth was a magnificent strike from distance but I thought No.7 was the better goal. Barrieâ??s take was superb.

â??Alloa are a decent side who have won promotion. The fact they try to knock the ball about suited us but only because we were willing to be aggressive and play at a high tempo.â?

McCoistâ??s biggest concern is his defence â?? which was exposed again in midweek as Inverness knocked his side out of the League Cup.

Greek full-back Anestis Argyriou hobbled off with an ankle injury yesterday and stopper Emilson Cribari followed him into the treatment room with niggling Achilles and calf knocks.

McCoist canâ??t bring anyone in due to the clubâ??s transfer embargo and might have to shift top scorer McCulloch back to centre-half.

He said: â??Putting Jig to centre-back is an option but he has scored 15 goals this season so Iâ??d be loath to do it.

â??Iâ??m not saying I wouldnâ??t but the negative side might just outweigh the positive side.

â??I keep saying itâ??s a new team and new defence but theyâ??re going to have to get to know each other quickly.

â??If the lads make a mistake then the worst crime is not learning from it.

â??At the moment I would have to say we look more comfortable in forward areas than we do defensively.â?

We were Aggressive and played in high tempo

Maybe he is learning.

But the Ibrox legend admits he’ll have a “massive problem” if he doesn’t end up holding the Third Division trophy come May.

If we havent won this league by March its a massive problem!

When good Rangers sides in the past smelled blood they went for it.

“Today once we got the fourth we showed a streak we haven’t seen before. It was pleasing.

The fans have known this all season and have been shouting out that we should be attacking every team infront of us.

He said: “Putting Jig to centre-back is an option but he has scored 15 goals this season so I’d be loath to do it. “I’m not saying I wouldn’t but the negative side might just outweigh the positive side.

No no no!!! Please no!

I keep saying it’s a new team and new defence but they’re going to have to get to know each other quickly

A wee bit of overtime never hurt anyone. Get them together on the training ground more! Find out if they like FIFA on the xbox in the afternoons or something that allows them to spend time together so they know each other more and start to communicate easier......i.e. team bonding! Then we might see progress on the park.

Edited by Gribz

Does anyone else think they should have a right good night on the piss as a team, no holds barred drinking session to bond better?

Barrie McKay isnt old enough to drink! Then you'd need to have it in a remote location where neds couldnt bump into the team and there was no game for at least 3 days. I think the likes of Durrant would be more up for that!

But thats what man management is all about, find an activity that interests the team and get them together...whether it be fishing, Karting, cricket or hand gliding.....just get the ice broken and have the guys familiar with each other and knowing one another.

i went to primary school with scott and played in the same school team as him for 3 years. nice boy. anyway back on topic, there is no danger whatsoever of us not winning the title. this is mind games by ally, almost making it look a hard task. we will p*sh it and end up winning it by at least 20 points. out of all the trophies we could win this season, the league si the easiest one. in fact the title was in the bag the day they demoted us no matter who we signed or who was manager.

we will p*sh it and end up winning it by at least 20 points. out of all the trophies we could win this season, the league si the easiest one. in fact the title was in the bag the day they demoted us no matter who we signed or who was manager.

Did you get out of the right side of bed today? :D:thup: