£10 million for new players

i like watching all the kids who are getting a chance and given time they will develop into decent players. but as soon as the check book comes out they will disappear into oblivion. smith had no time for the youth system and neither will mccoist.

i like watching all the kids who are getting a chance and given time they will develop into decent players. but as soon as the check book comes out they will disappear into oblivion. smith had no time for the youth system and neither will mccoist.

I disagree. Not every young player who breaks thro' into our first team will be a guaranteed superstar. In the current team we're giving youngsters their chance but we'll be lucky to get a couple IMO who'll be good enough to play at the level we want to be at. What concerns me is that Murray Park could become something that produces players for the Dunfermlines, St Mirrens etc i.e producing players not quite good enough for us but OK for their standard. That will be costly unless we really can produce the standard of player we require from our youth teams.

We would be mad to spend 10 million to get us up through Div 2 and 1 or SPL2. We could probably spend around 2 million in bringing in 2-4 players who are good enough for this and save the rest for when we are back in the top flight.

Unless we are getting quality players that would be good enough to challenge for the SPL then whats the point in signing players on long contracts now when we would need to get stronger when getting back to the top flight and then Europe.

The players we have now should be more than good enough to get us up the leagues, although a few additions to make the squad bigger is needed but spending 10m for Div 2 would be nuts.

Also, Ally is getting results now but the jury is still out whether he is the long term man for the job and therefore would I be handing him 10m? not so sure about that unless there is another 10m available further down the road.

I can't help but feel anything other than uncomfortable with this statement form CG.

1. It sounds wayyyyyy too much for us to be spending when from now on in we should be buying players for the SPL not European games, Europe is a luxury and should always come far off second place to the SPL from now (I know he doesn't say that but IMO that is the kind of budget you have to get one or two strong players that would be a huge boost for Euro games)

2. To me this is more Grandstanding by Green and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd rather he said something along the lines of, "Ally will have funds available when the transfer ban is lifted. We wil sit and talk about targets and what money will be available for each payer as an individual. I want all Rangers fans to know the club will NEVER go back to the old days of irrational spending,I want the fans to know that categorically"

Just my view on it

Can't really see any bother here nor understand why people jump on this number. It will be good to know that Green gives McCoist this kind of support, but both will know that McCoist won't need that much money. What he has to do, much like with Black and Co., pay those SPL or Championship players wages that - loyalty, fame-hunting, childhood dreams aside - will have them come to the fourth or third tier of Scottish football. I for one would expect that it will at least cost us the wages of a Black to see Murphy and Halliday join up.

On a sidenote, we may have to give people like Goian (and Bocanegra?) - in case there isn't any interest - a golden handshake and make them leave.

CG's in a no-win situation IMO....

If he states how much Ally has available to spend, he'll be critisised if he doesn't spend it all.....

If he states too low a budget figure, he'll be critisised for not giving Ally any/enough funds to spend.....

If he states too high a budget figure, he'll be critisised for giving Ally too much to spend given the division we're in.....

If he just says that Ally will have money to spend, he'll be critisised for not stating how much.....

If he states how much Ally has available to spend, he'll be critisised if he doesn't spend it all.....

If he states too low a budget figure, he'll be critisised for not giving Ally any/enough funds to spend.....

If he states too high a budget figure, he'll be critisised for giving Ally too much to spend given the division we're in.....

If he just says that Ally will have money to spend, he'll be critisised for not stating how much.....

only an idiot would criticise him for that last one mate.

I dont think so. The reasonable fan will realise where we are and that we dont need 10m to spend at the moment. Its like we are currently a Ferrari in a race against a few Ford Fiestas and we go out and buy a Better Ferrari to win in a quicker time when all we need to do is improve our current Ferrari with a tweak or 2.