Insight into to Barca Academy

Three points stick out for me

How important are the results?

A lot. Pep Guardiola says that you cannot separate training and competition. You aren't there not to lose: you are there to win. Winning or losing is part of the comprehensive education and the club looks to win always, but through a set way to play. In this they are ruthless: you have to do everything possible to win, but with an undisputed way of play.

How are the players chosen? What skills do you want?

Technique, tactical intelligence and mental speed. These three traits are the ones that matter. Players with very good technique, who are able to understand the game (not just play, but also understand it) and speed of mind.

Is physical strength and height given much importance?

None. Barca does not care about the size of the player. The three parameters I mentioned are the only ones that matter. Not even if you stand out during a tournament. Indeed, Barcelona often signe kids that have gone unnoticed in a tournament, but have those three potential features.

I wonder how this fits in with Sinky's philosophy.

http://www.blueprintforfootball.com/2012/04/inside-footballs-talent-factory.html?m=1

I can't help feeling that Barca are an incredibly illogical verging on silly example for almost any football club to follow. Really, what do they know about producing a team without spending hundreds of millions? They may be a good model for Man City to emulate but who else?

At the moment our own club should ignore Barcelona and take a look at consistently very successful teams with our sort of budget and standard of local talent. If anyone can name any I'd be interested in looking them up.

Your right Messi, Zavi, Iniesta, cost them millions to buy. Wonder if Barca would become a crap side of they had to play in Div3, I doubt it some what.

Firstly are you saying their team didn't cost millions? I'm pretty sure our current Rangers squad could beat that three man team. If they are so good at it, why is their whole squad not free?

With their resources I doubt they'd be crap in Div3 too. Newsflash, we don't have their resources. Would they be better than us with our resources? We have absolutely no way of knowing. I doubt they would know where to start as they have no experience of this part of the market.

A friend of mine once asked me to help him buy his son a bike for £120 as I'm pretty into bikes and have four. However, my bikes cost from between 800 quid for a Brompton and £2500 for a mountain bike. I often spend more than twice his budget on a service for the latter - my XTR cassette cost more than the bikes he was looking at. I had absolutely no idea about the sector of the market he was interested in. The cheap ones all worked on the same principles and I could ride them but I couldn't really compare them.

Barcelona could possibly learn very quickly but they would not be instant experts. Trying to copy Barcelona would be like trying to copy Chris Evans when looking for a second hand car.

Guest DavieBlue
Your right Messi, Zavi, Iniesta, cost them millions to buy. Wonder if Barca would become a crap side of they had to play in Div3, I doubt it some what.

Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Puyol, Montoya, Busquets, Pedro, Dos Santos all came through the academy. So did Fabregas but he left and came back.

Barcelona have played (and won) a few games this season with a team of players that have all come through the youth set up.

we have been going against all three of they points for as long as i have been alive. sums us up. walter didnt change anything. allys pal sinky wont be changing anything, indeed nor will ally! in fact the only man who tried to change things was hounded out of the club by mob rule.

Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Valdes, Puyol, Montoya, Busquets, Pedro, Dos Santos all came through the academy. So did Fabregas but he left and came back.

Barcelona have played (and won) a few games this season with a team of players that have all come through the youth set up.

add pique to that list. barcas real success is possible because they produced superstars not bought them.