Insight into to Barca Academy

I think the point elfideldo was making in the op has been well and truly lost.

He's not advocating we do a wholesale copy of the Barca model but rather pointing out serious flaws in Sinclair's modus operandi.

that is exactly how i read it mate.

This is slightly pedantic, but pretty important too IMO: I don't class Messi and others like him as REALLY coming through the Barca youth Academy. If I'm not mistaken, Barca scouted Messi in Argentina and bought him at the age of 16 for a relatively large amount of cash, so I don't see why that should be classed as coming through the Barca Academy. That's more like the Barca Academy buying in talent at a ripe/mature age (in youth system terms) and the sort of age where a youngster has already developed a lot of technique and skills which are easy for scouts to spot. Obviously Barca then helped develop Messi and others who they've bought in at that sort of age even further, but it's not as if they deserve all the credit for training existing talent they've bought in from other youth Academies for millions of Euros.

Messi went to Barca earlier than 16 and he didnt cost them that much. The reason he left his Argentinian club is because they couldnt, or wouldnt, pay the growth hormone fees as he was so small.

I just thought it was an interesting article and we should be taking on board anything that appears to work. I am sure we can learn something from them and others that work on a different scale, such as Falkirk, Hamilton, Crewe etc.

I do realise Messi was scouted and bought for a fee.

Our current regime has scouted and bought 19 players from other Scottish clubs, only 4 have made it to pro youth contracts (5 if you include Danny Stoney who was released then bought back). Two are still at the club and may or may not get a contract, the other 12 were released without getting a pro contract. The latest two only lasted 12 months at the club.

I realise its not an exact science but 4 from 17 is not good figures, remember this is not players progressing to the first team but players progressing to their first pro contract.

Just read today the Hamilton's Gary Fraser looks likely to get a move to Bolton, he was released by Rangers joined Celtic before being released by them too.

Edited by elfideldo

I just thought it was an interesting article and we should be taking on board anything that appears to work. I am sure we can learn something from them and others that work on a different scale, such as Falkirk, Hamilton, Crewe etc.

I do realise Messi was scouted and bought for a fee.

Our current regime has scouted and bought 19 players from other Scottish clubs, only 4 have made it to pro youth contracts (5 if you include Danny Stoney who was released then bought back). Two are still at the club and may or may not get a contract, the other 12 were released without getting a pro contract. The latest two only lasted 12 months at the club.

I realise its not an exact science but 4 from 17 is not good figures, remember this is not players progressing to the first team but players progressing to their first pro contract.

Just read today the Hamilton's Gary Fraser looks likely to get a move to Bolton, he was released by Rangers joined Celtic before being released by them too.

he couldnt have been that good. they know a good prospect when they see one.

Three points stick out for me

How important are the results?

A lot. Pep Guardiola says that you cannot separate training and competition. You aren't there not to lose: you are there to win. Winning or losing is part of the comprehensive education and the club looks to win always, but through a set way to play. In this they are ruthless: you have to do everything possible to win, but with an undisputed way of play.

How are the players chosen? What skills do you want?

Technique, tactical intelligence and mental speed. These three traits are the ones that matter. Players with very good technique, who are able to understand the game (not just play, but also understand it) and speed of mind.

Is physical strength and height given much importance?

None. Barca does not care about the size of the player. The three parameters I mentioned are the only ones that matter. Not even if you stand out during a tournament. Indeed, Barcelona often signe kids that have gone unnoticed in a tournament, but have those three potential features.

I wonder how this fits in with Sinky's philosophy.

http://www.blueprintforfootball.com/2012/04/inside-footballs-talent-factory.html?m=1

Looking at the players that have gone on and made a career I'm curious where it's felt we're lacking. I've heard the accusation that Rangers only want big, strong boys and accepted it as true, yet a look at the players we've produced over the last 5 or so years suggests it might not be as clear as that.

This season McKay, MacLoed, Aird or Crawford don't fit that bill, indeed they are the archetypal ball player types. Hegarty, Cole and Perry are bigger, stronger types and Kyle Hutton looks like a big powerful player, more graft than guile. Looking at some others Jamie Ness was a big lad but it was his ability that stood out about him not his stature, Rhys McCabe was a smaller guy and again a skilful player. Danny Wilson was tall but it was his reading of the game and his distribution that caught the eye. Going further back Hutton was a big, strong player but Stevie Smith wasn't, Burke and McCormick were smaller skilful players, Charlie Adam has a physical presence but he doesn't use it and instead relies on his passing, shooting and eye for goal.

I'm sure I've missed a number but I can't remember the last player we produced who was a genuinely physical player. A player prized for his physical attributes over the more ascetic attributes.

We could and should do better but we're very hard on ourselves sometimes when perhaps the evidence suggests otherwise.

A few weeks ago we started a game with probably the youngest Rangers side ever. And while it is all nice and sweet to tell us about the u16s et al we are currently missing, keep reminding yourself that we are a Division Three team these days with no great pedigree of raising our youngsters through the ranks. While on the other side England is looming large beyond Hadrian's Wall ... as in, you may be looking or demand these highly talented Scottish youngsters, but whether they are actually willing to come or allowed to is another matter.

amms

With the exception of a couple every player you mention was recruited by the previous youth setup and before the "give me an athlete and I'll make him a player" ethos of the current regime.

der berliner

I agree we are in the 3rd divison and don't have a great record on youth development, so we should just accept that and give up ? We could certainly do it a lot cheaper then, the current full time coaches and scouts at youth level are costing around 400k a year, a lot of money for a third division club.

Its a fact of life that all decent players will eventually move to England, but the number that move directly to an English club is minimal. Players can only sign for English clubs once they are 16, those that have come through Scottish clubs systems and chosen to go to England are few and far between probably less than 1 each year, I can only think of Islam Feruz, Darren Ferguson, Danny Galbraith and David Gray in recent years. The last Rangers player to come through the youth setup and sign for an English club rather than Rangers was Brian Hodge who signed for Blackburn and is now at Stenhousemuir, The compensation rules between Scotland and England have changed since then and English clubs would have to pay a significant fee for a 16 year old that has been in the system since the age of 11.

Rangers should be the first choice for the majority of youngsters in Scotland whether we are in the third division or not. We still have the best facilities and should be getting better value on the money we spend at this level.