Ibrox Remembrance Day Events To Be Stopped

Not really our fault that bit, the troops were there for us to thank them. Maybe the Army should be asking the guys in charge of the men what went wrong. Instead of backing up the claims of a republican scumbag that it was some sort of orange walk.

Agree with you there GA.

SUNDAY, 27 JANUARY 2013 14:30

Club Statement

WRITTEN BY RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB

FOLLOWING an article in today's Sunday Mail the club has issued the following statement:

Rangers have always had a close and respectful relationship with this country’s services personnel and associated charities. That will continue.

No one from any of the Forces has been in contact with us other than to thank us for our support and help. Indeed, it was pointed out that our Remembrance event proved to be the single largest memorial event in Scotland in the year in question.

The Remembrance part of the afternoon was observed impeccably and carried precisely the correct degree of solemnity. This was, as should always be the case, entirely separate from anything that some might have deemed frivolous during half time an hour or so later.

That was when service people about to be deployed abroad wanted to celebrate in normal football style.

All activities on the day were arranged in full co-operation with the Royal Navy, RAF and Army. They have always been extremely appreciative of the club’s efforts and acknowledge we are massive supporters of the country’s serving men and women, as well as veterans

Good solid statement from the club. That letter the beast sent should have put directly in the bin. How they forget chanting through the minutes silence a few years back up at Dundee, I think it was. Vile people.

It was at Falkirk

There are things which are above football and remembering the war dead is one - and we should not attempt to make remembrance a tribal issue. I lost two grandfathers in WWII, neither of them Rangers fans I'm told. One was a Jambo and one had no interest whatsoever in football. I suspect both would be mightily pissed off at the remembrance of their deaths being hijacked by Rangers or Rangers fans.

We are not like the morality-free Celtic fans, who desecrate every event and jump on every passing bandwagon by associating themselves and their vile strip with it, always with an eye to the prominence of their colours and without a care as to the dignity of the event or cause they are desecrating with their vile presence.

Let's just respect our war dead in the normal way.

With silence and reflection.

For one minute or two.

On the days when those who decide such things say it is fitting and not on days decided by marketing men.

We and our football club is less than those we are remembering. And we should remember that.

There are things which are above football and remembering the war dead is one - and we should not attempt to make remembrance a tribal issue. I lost two grandfathers in WWII, neither of them Rangers fans I'm told. One was a Jambo and one had no interest whatsoever in football. I suspect both would be mightily pissed off at the remembrance of their deaths being hijacked by Rangers or Rangers fans.

We are not like the morality-free Celtic fans, who desecrate every event and jump on every passing bandwagon by associating themselves and their vile strip with it, always with an eye to the prominence of their colours and without a care as to the dignity of the event or cause they are desecrating with their vile presence.

Let's just respect our war dead in the normal way.

With silence and reflection.

For one minute or two.

On the days when those who decide such things say it is fitting and not on days decided by marketing men.

We and our football club is less than those we are remembering. And we should remember that.

Remembrance is about much more than just the two world war dead these days it's also about giving thanks to the men and women serving on the front line at the moment.

As for your claim that we have hijacked it just to score points against the Tims well that's a biggest load of steaming shit I've heard in a longtime. We dont make it a tribal issue that shower of terrorist lving scum do. The whole country has raised the profile of Remembrance Week as it has become, maybe you should tell them to stop point scoring against the offended of this country.

I take it you will be telling all organisations that they must stop all forms of remembrance and celebration out with a minutes silence, you will personally tell all those people who attend the Albert Hall concert for remembrance it has to stop they are being disrespectful how dare they sing songs.

The troops may have got carried away on the pitch but remember a lot of those guys were just about to ship out to Afghanistan maybe we can cut them a bit of slack.

Remembrance is about much more than just the two world war dead these days it's also about giving thanks to the men and women serving on the front line at the moment.

As for your claim that we have hijacked it just to score points against the Tims well that's a biggest load of steaming shit I've heard in a longtime. We dont make it a tribal issue that shower of terrorist lving scum do. The whole country has raised the profile of Remembrance Week as it has become, maybe you should tell them to stop point scoring against the offended of this country.

I take it you will be telling all organisations that they must stop all forms of remembrance and celebration out with a minutes silence, you will personally tell all those people who attend the Albert Hall concert for remembrance it has to stop they are being disrespectful how dare they sing songs.

The troops may have got carried away on the pitch but remember a lot of those guys were just about to ship out to Afghanistan maybe we can cut them a bit of slack.

Agree with that

Well no better example of petty disgusting whataboutery and mopery comes from the pages of the blog that he writes for and backs and that took over from the bigoted biased and disgraced Rangers tax case and from what I can see trying to outdo it.

The following is a letter that was posted on said site. From a mr “John Clarke”

john clarke says:

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 23:56

97 1 Rate This

Forgive me, at this late stage, but I’ve just discovered that I can cut and paste from my original microsoft word draft. ( I had been faffing about trying to scan and copy and paste, unsuccessfully)

This is my letter to GOC Scotland.

Major-General N Eeles,

General Officer Commanding Scotland,

Edinburgh Castle,EH1 2NG.

Dear General Eeles,

You will, I imagine, share my dismay that Army, Navy and Royal Marines service personnel were participants in a travesty of a ‘Remembrance’ parade at Ibrox Park, Glasgow, during half-time in a football match being played between The Rangers FC and Alloa Athletic last week-end.

Whatever the original intention may have been, the occasion was allowed to degenerate into what I can only describe as a show of sectarian support- by the military personnel involved- for one particular section of Scottish society and one particular football club.

It was in no way respectful of the men and women ( among whom I include my own father) who suffered death or injury in the second World War, but was an absolutely undisciplined display of sectarian bias by the army unit(s) involved, who, I believe had balloted to be present because of their personal support for the aims and ideology of The Rangers FC.

In my view, the officer who authorised the use of tax-payers’ money for such a shameful partisan display, and the senior officer present on the day ( if indeed, any officer was present) should be asked to apologise to the people of Scotland for being so crassly insensitive to the feelings of many like me, who distance themselves from the poisonous ideology behind Orangeism and who do not wish their support for the Armed Forces of this country to be predicated on a false assumption that Orangeism equates to patriotism.

I am copying this letter to Rear Admiral Hockley (Flag Officer Scotland and Northern Ireland) and to Major-General Davis, CBE RM (Commandant General Royal Marines)

Yours sincerely,

as you can see dear reader 95 people liked this post with only one finding objection to it!

The reply came back

“The General Officer Commanding Scotland has now had the opportunity to review the events that took place at Ibrox Park with the other Service heads in Scotland. They share your view that the format of the half time event and the conduct of those taking part in it was inappropriate for Remembrance Weekend, and will take steps to ensure that such events are conducted with appropriate solemnity in the future. They believe that the minute’s silence before the match was the correct way to mark the occasion and Army commenders will be directed to restrict future Remembrance events to this type of activity in the future. The focus of Remembrance activities must be on the fallen, not on those who are serving in the Armed Forces today

Now you can make of this as you will. But it appears to me the M.O.D are agreeing with this sad individual that..

who distance themselves from the poisonous ideology behind Orangeism and who do not wish their support for the Armed Forces of this country to be predicated on a false assumption that Orangeism equates to patriotism.

If this is true then I think the Orange Order in Scotland and Rangers deserve an apology from the ministry of defence!

Also it comes as no surprise that this story surfaced in the Daily Record or should that be the Daily rebel as the Journalist David Leggat has proved their ever increasing links to Celtic football Club.

LISTEN RANGERS FANS!!!

Its simple we are coming together in one unified voice as the Boycott of Dundee United proves. If we as one don’t patronise Rangers hating organs like the Daily Rebel et al they will hear our voice when it hits them in the pocket.

If you buy or contribute to Rangers Haters you are effectively buying your abuser the stick to hit you over the head with!

Is that a real letter? Deary me. As much as I feel that any tribute to the Forces could maybe be transfered to a different weekend/date I genuinely don't get the connection between this an Orangism?

And while I am at it, I personally don't follow the Orange Order but surely calling it "poisonous" is a bit OTT? If they are a Protestant fratenity then it's obvious they wouldn't have Catholics as members? That's their choice surely? Would the same writer have found the visit of the Pope and his entourage to our country as equally repugnant? After all we welcomed him with open arms despite a litany of cover-ups of child abuse as well as truly vile program of hate focused on the gay community. And then we were asked to fork out for it.

Guest alfiebass

May I suggest that Gen Eeles releases all letters received concerning the activities at Ibrox. This would show two things how many of the letters received were template based mass complaints generated by one person/organisation, and secondly how many people who contacted him giving their approval of the support offered by the Rangers family for the those who served in the past and those presently serving. I would also ask why if these objections have been upheld was there no direct communication with Rangers discussing any perceived problems and how they could be rectified in the future so that the largest football support in Scotland could voice their support for those who have served and currently serve in HM's Forces rather than having leaks to a news organisation who serve to further an agenda against this support. Perhaps the freedom of information act would allow Gen Eeles to reply directly to the concerns shown by the supporters over the decision that seems to have been made. For all I know the said gentleman may have an agenda of his own, after all there are c****c fans who serve in HM's Forces, though I do find it hard to reconcile this with the Anti-British songs and beliefs that that clubs support identify themselves with.:uk:

Edited by alfiebass