Game Time & Player Development

Rangers have said nothing on the subject, so what makes you think they would make me a special case and tell me ?

People in football, at other clubs have told me Rangers declined.

I am pretty sure if Rangers were in anyway blocked from entering this competition Mr Green would have made sure everyone got to know about it.

Not that dark ? Really ? Is one season where players are not getting the game time to develop not dark enough ? I can assure you that a significant number of parents of this group and the groups following see things as pretty dark at the moment.

From your comments it pretty clear you don't really get to see the youth teams much, take a visit to Murray Park, watch and listen to what's going on you may get a shock.

Unbelievable Rangers declined, I wonder who would make that decision?

Surely it wouldn't be left to the Youth set-up to do this.

Unbelievable Rangers declined, I wonder who would make that decision?

Surely it wouldn't be left to the Youth set-up to do this.

As I said on a previous post the club have said nothing on this. I also said if we were denied entry I am sure Charles Green would have made sure it was public knowledge.

The decision would have been from the top I'm sure.

It's saddening to be reading that some of our best youngsters are asking to leave because of lack of game time when there shouldn't be any good reason for them not getting enough games. As head of youth it's Sinclair's responsibility to oversee these matters and make sure that issues like this don't arise, so for me the buck surely must stop with him. It's sheer incompetence because the head of youth should be demanding that the club make provision for the youth players to be getting everything that they need.

A bit of positive late news Rangers Will play in Reserve League Cup. This wasn't on the SFL website a couple of days ago. Time will tell if the 18-20 age group will get much game time in this competition.

Fixtures not on the Rangers website yet.

RESERVE LEAGUE CUP - SEASON 2012/13

Fixtures will start week commencing Monday, 11th February, 2013.

East Section – This section will consist of five clubs each playing their respective opponents twice, (giving each club a total of eight matches), resulting in each club having two free weeks. Thereafter, the top two clubs in this section will proceed to the Semi-Finals which will be played over one leg with the winner of each Semi-Final tie contesting the Final, again over one leg.

West Section - This section will consist of eight clubs each playing their respective opponents once, (giving each club a total of seven matches). Thereafter, the top two clubs in this section will proceed to the Semi-Finals which will be played over one leg with the winner of each Semi-Final tie contesting the Final, again over one leg.

Semi-Finals

Winner of East Section v Runner-up of West Section

Winner of West Section v Runner-up of East Section

These matches are scheduled to take place w/c Monday, 22nd April, 2013.

Final – This match is scheduled to take place on Monday, 29th April, 2013 and the Draw to determine the home club will be made in due course.

EAST SECTION

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

Livingston

Raith Rovers

Stenhousemuir

WEST SECTION

Airdrie United

Annan Athletic

Ayr United

Morton

Partick Thistle

Queen of the South

Queen's Park

Rangers

There was an SFL under 19 league, Rangers didn't enter it. Like the Reserve League it consisted og 14 teams playing each other once. Queen's Park won it with only Airdrie providing a challenge, Livingston who have been decent at this level in recent years didn't enter either. Overall standard wouldn't have been great but we could have fielded a younger team U18 for example.

There is an SFL U19 League Cup which starts soon, we didn't enter that either.It has a similar format to the Reserve League Cup. Hamilton Accies have entered and they should be one of the favourites with QP & Airdrie.

Edited by elfideldo

A bit of positive late news Rangers Will play in Reserve League Cup. This wasn't on the SFL website a couple of days ago. Time will tell if the 18-20 age group will get much game time in this competition.

Fixtures not on the Rangers website yet.

RESERVE LEAGUE CUP - SEASON 2012/13

Fixtures will start week commencing Monday, 11th February, 2013.

East Section â?? This section will consist of five clubs each playing their respective opponents twice, (giving each club a total of eight matches), resulting in each club having two free weeks. Thereafter, the top two clubs in this section will proceed to the Semi-Finals which will be played over one leg with the winner of each Semi-Final tie contesting the Final, again over one leg.

West Section - This section will consist of eight clubs each playing their respective opponents once, (giving each club a total of seven matches). Thereafter, the top two clubs in this section will proceed to the Semi-Finals which will be played over one leg with the winner of each Semi-Final tie contesting the Final, again over one leg.

Semi-Finals

Winner of East Section v Runner-up of West Section

Winner of West Section v Runner-up of East Section

These matches are scheduled to take place w/c Monday, 22nd April, 2013.

Final â?? This match is scheduled to take place on Monday, 29th April, 2013 and the Draw to determine the home club will be made in due course.

EAST SECTION

Cowdenbeath

East Fife

Livingston

Raith Rovers

Stenhousemuir

WEST SECTION

Airdrie United

Annan Athletic

Ayr United

Morton

Partick Thistle

Queen of the South

Queen's Park

Rangers

There was an SFL under 19 league, Rangers didn't enter it. Like the Reserve League it consisted og 14 teams playing each other once. Queen's Park won it with only Airdrie providing a challenge, Livingston who have been decent at this level in recent years didn't enter either. Overall standard wouldn't have been great but we could have fielded a younger team U18 for example.

There is an SFL U19 League Cup which starts soon, we didn't enter that either.It has a similar format to the Reserve League Cup. Hamilton Accies have entered and they should be one of the favourites with QP & Airdrie.

I would be embarrassed to show this to anyone connected with the Dutch youth system. Their handicapped leagues are better organised than this. This is where Rhegan should be falling on his sword. It is the SFA's job to see that there is competition and development at all youth levels or indeed all levels.

Look at what Ronald de Boer and Mark Watte says in this piece.

It would seem the SFA listen to nobody.

Scots offered insight into German and Dutch football models

A Match for Europe

Date: Monday, 5 March

Time: BBC One Scotland, 2235 GMT

Germany's poor form at Euro 2000 was the catalyst for changing the country's football set-up - and a prominent coach suggests Scotland should do likewise.

Thomas Wolter, youth coach at Werder Bremen, told BBC Scotland that clubs and the German FA agreed to reforms.

"Bundesliga clubs got around the table with the DFB to find some points to make youth football better," he said.

"Everyone in Scotland is a football fan. It's a long way [to go] but you must work together."

Wolter, who was in the Werder Bremen side that knocked Celtic out of 1988 Uefa Cup, added: "One of the points was to build youth academies to work with young players to make them into professional players.

"That was 10 or 11 years ago. It was a hard time.

"Now you can see very young players, 18 and 19, playing in the Bundesliga and in the international team.

"The reason why in Germany it is [now] better is because everybody wants to work together."

In a BBC Scotland documentary, A Match for Europe, to be broadcast on Monday 5 March, it is shown that there are 40 teams linked to Werder Bremen and that 100 players who have progressed through the club's academy are now playing in the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2.

Presenter Jim Traynor wonders if this is the model Scottish clubs should adopt, rather than paying transfer fees for players.

Continue reading the main story

â??If you have a good youth set-up, you have your own future in your own hands and I think that is importantâ?

Giovanni van Bronckhorst Feyenoord assistant coach

At Euro 2000, holders Germany were beaten by England and Portugal and finished bottom of Group A with one point earned in a draw with Romania.

The clubs and the DFB decided to divert money into youth development instead of wages.

By doing so, the league became less attractive to foreign players and so more young players moved into the first teams of Germany's clubs.

The programme also travels to the Netherlands to assess the youth set-ups at Rotterdam's Feyenoord and Ajax, in Amsterdam.

Feyenoord was in financial trouble, caused in part by a tax debt, and chose to focus on developing its own players to live within its means.

The club's assistant coach, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, said: "In the Feyenoord first team I think 80% of our players are from our own system.

"I think that is very important for the club.

"We are not able to buy players; you have to create your own.

"The younger players get a chance quicker to be part of the first-team squad.

"If you have a good youth set-up, you have your own future in your own hands and I think that is important.

"The Dutch philosophy is to be able to be part of a club."

Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt, Arsenal's Robin van Persie and van Bronckhorst all came through the Feyenoord coaching system, which was highly regarded even before the club's financial troubles heightened its importance.

Feyenoord Academy director Stanley Brard told BBC Scotland: "The way we look at it, at a young age, the winning is not important.

"We look at how a players acts on the pitch. Is he doing things right in passing, controlling and heading?

"If this is OK, then he has the best chance to develop into a professional."

Another who believes in that ethos is the former Dutch international defender, Frank de Boer, now in charge of Ajax.

He spent a short period at Rangers, joining his brother Ronald at Ibrox in 2004.

Ajax head coach Frank de Boer

Ajax head coach Frank de Boer spent time playing with Rangers

"We have spent a lot of money on the youth academy," said de Boer.

"We know, if we want to survive, we have to generate new players.

"For us, the most important thing is technique.

"From what I saw in my time in Scotland, they don't care much about the technical things; it's more about being aggressive and rolling your sleeves up.

"But at the highest level, technical skills are so important.

"We try to teach that by eight years old and in the end we get results."

His views chime with those of countryman Mark Wotte, the Scottish Football Association's first performance director.

"I have not seen any team in the world winning any tournament playing 4-4-2, with the long ball, thinking you can fight your way to success," said Wotte.

"The benchmark is Spain, but with Holland, Germany and Brazil, you see the passing game with three midfielders, a lot of movements, quick, agile players."

And it is not just on the field where Scotland and the Netherlands differ, according to Wotte.

"The difference in Scotland is the unbelievably complicated structure. We have 20 affiliated associations, a lot of leagues," he said.

"There is no one body, one league system; there is no pyramid.

"Coming from Holland where there is only one body dealing with all the leagues, it makes life not easy to change things [here]."

Henry McLeish also made a massive report that the SFA seem to be ignoring. Scottish football is a total shambles and Rhegans boast that he is improving it a lower levels, following the McLeish report, would seem to be far from the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

JIMMY SINCLAIR reckons there are more Rangers kids waiting in the wings to star for the first team.

Murray Park graduates Andy Little, Lewis MacLeod, Chris Hegarty, Kyle Hutton, and Ross Perry have been mainstays of Gers’ rise to the top of the Third Division.

Barrie McKay, Robbie Crawford and Fraser Aird have also burst onto the top-team scene this term.

Ibrox youth chief Sinclair is confident more are on their way. He said: “I’d like to think there are others who can and will step up.

“Our Under-17s has got some excellent talents in it and the manager is aware of them.

“We’re confident, given the correct circumstances, these kids will also come in and do well like the young boys who have played their part this season.”

Winger Aird is confident he has a bigger role to play.

The 18-year-old, who scored as Gers landed the Reserve title on Tuesday, has just penned a new five-year deal and said: “I certainly can’t complain with the way things have gone for me recently. The last two weeks have been a bit crazy trying to get my contract organised and I am delighted to get it signed.

“There is obviously pressure to being a Rangers player, but I love it and I just hope I can play a part for the rest of the season to show the fans exactly what I can do.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4805417/My-kids-are-ready-to-step-up.html#ixzz2LWpcIGSq