Six Called For Scots U18s

So the fact they are getting in ahead of our youth players doesn't say anything about us ? I would say it says an awfull lot about us.

Do Man Utd have a full compliment of heir youths filling the berths of every available space of every Englsh youth squad?

rubbish. most, if not all, of the scotland squad based in the premiership have been out of our league for quite some time. you can throw in kris commons, james forrest and scott brown in there too.

You're at it with the Brown comments. I've had enough of your nonsense though. Don't respond to my posts and I won't respond to yours as I have zero respect for your views on football. Thanks.

The point I was trying to make elfi is that not all of our youths will be starters for the national side. And that also goes for teams with better resources dominating in better countries. There are no doubt guys who were getting selected ahead of united players down south who never made it, yet these man u players have gone on to star for the biggest club in that country.

Sure it would be ideal if Rangers players all played through the national squads, but players who don't do this often go on to have better careers than players who do.

It is not the be all and end all of a players career and some players develop, blossom and reach their full potential at different times.

I wasn't questioning your judgement on youths and I'm sure you are more than happy for people to do so and for you to educate them or argue your points back. I was merely stating that just because we let a player go who happens to make a Scotland team doesn't mean we were wrong to let them go.

Craig Beattie is an example of this point. We let him go, he played for Scotland. Hardly any of our fans would have wanted him in the Rangers squad despite him being good enough for Scotland. Just one example of what I mean. Being good enough for Scotland doesn't make you good enough for Rangers and at some point we have to make a decision on these players. They may continue to represent Scotland but it may still have been the right decision to let them go.

Comparing a player at this level to our current div 3 squad is not a far comparison with my points about the relative strengths of Rangers and Scotland players prior to this period.

Edited by Super_Ally
autocorrect! Fecking apple

The same Craig Beattie, who was punted out of Rangers, picked up for free by Celtic, done a job for them then they sold him for £3m. Meanwhile we discard Charlie Adam for pennies after him scoring in CL games and against the Tims, and within 2 seasons he's worth £6m.

The same Craig Beattie, who was punted out of Rangers, picked up for free by Celtic, done a job for them then they sold him for £3m. Meanwhile we discard Charlie Adam for pennies after him scoring in CL games and against the Tims, and within 2 seasons he's worth £6m.

To be fair we did let Adam go at a time where we were desperate to cut the wage bill and bring in cash to balance the books after seriously overspending at the worst time imaginable. Even then, it was a hot topic of debate amongst fans at the time as to whether Adam was good enough to play for us.

You can't keep every player who could "do a job". You aim to have the highest quality available. People forget that you have a wage budget etc. At the time we let Beattie go he would have been deemed not good enough and I dont think he was that spectacular that it can be deemed an error. You have to look at the bigger picture. And it was just one example of a point I dont want to get away from.

Merely being selected in a Scotland squad whilst at another team is not enough of a reason to state we were wrong to let players go.

To comapre Man Utd in England to Rangers in Scotland is complete nonesense.

In Scotland there are at most half a dozen teams with any reasonable youth budget competing for a small pool of players.

In England there is around 50 clubs that spend significant sums on their youth setup and the pool of players is much bigger, which is reflected in the fact that Scotland very rarely even get even a draw against England at youth level. Clubs like Crystal Palace spend more than any Scottish club with the exception of the old firm.

Also up until this season there was a rule that English clubs could only sign youth players within 1 hours travel of the club, meaning Man Utd couldn't sign anyone from London for example. Of the 36 players that Man Utd have in their academy 19 are not English, and 13 of these players have been capped at youth level by their country. Of the 17 that are English 9 have been capped at youth level. Three were purchased from lower league clubs in the last year.

This is reflected across all the big clubs as they cast the net wider, Scottish teams youth sides are 90%+ Scottish.

At what time did I say all our youth should be starters for the national sides ? But I do expect us to be the best in Scotland and the moment we are know where near that. 17's are good and the younger ages are very good if they can avoid the Sinky cull. Inverness Caley Thistle completed the double over our under 15's today a 3-2 win at Murray Park adding to their earlier win in the highlands. All due respect to Inverness Caley but Rangers shouldn't be losing to them at any under age level. To use your Man Utd comparison, its like them losing consecutive game to an Accrington Stanley side.