DJ's take on Ally

DJ: Coisty deserves a chance to get it right

DEREK JOHNSTONE today appealed for under-pressure Rangers boss Ally McCoist to be given time to rebuild his squad in the summer.

The Ibrox gaffer has been heavily criticised in the aftermath of his side's embarrassing 2-1 home defeat to part-timers Annan last Saturday.

And despite the high regard the 50-year-old is held in, many Light Blues fans want him out.

However, SportTimes columnist Johnstone believes his friend and former team-mate is deserving of a chance to strengthen for next term.

Rangers can bring in players for no money from September 1 despite the 12-month embargo they had imposed on them by the SFA last year.

And DJ reckons McCoist will leave of his own accord â?? if matters fail to improve significantly on the park in the 2013/14 campaign after he has recruited new players.

He said: "Only certain people can manage a club like Rangers. Given the state the club are in, Ally needs to be given time to take them on.

"If it is not working next season then people will have a choice to make. He will have been in the job for a few years and will have brought in a few players.

"But Ally will not need to be told. Nobody is bigger than the club.

"If he feels he can't take the club forward he'll allow somebody else to come in."

Johnstone added: "The club is 17 points clear at the top of the table. But still the 45,000 fans who go to games at Ibrox are expecting more.

"In the last couple of weeks more and more Rangers fans have been calling the radio phone-in and saying they are unhappy and want change.

"But better players will be coming in. Ally missed out on his first seven or eight targets last summer. He was unable to convince many players to drop down to the bottom tier. He had to go down his list to get players.

"Rangers may be playing in front of full houses at Ibrox, but players don't want to play in the Third Division. That was the problem in getting new faces in.

"But there will be better players brought in to the club in September.

"There will be new defenders, midfielders and forwards arriving and performances will improve as a result."

Rangers take on Elgin City in the Irn-Bru Third Division at Borough Briggs tomorrow â?? and they must win if they want to ease growing pressure on their boss.

Johnstone said: "The players have to stand up and be counted. Season ticket renewals are coming up and Rangers aren't sure what league they are going to be playing in.

"If they are in the bottom 18 then is that going to entice punters to buy season books again and go along and watch what they have been seeing?

"The players haven't been performing in recent weeks. Many of them have downed tools. They need to start to produce the goods."

I don't think it's the players/transfer ban issue - it's the direction, mentality and approach to football that is lacking. This was a chance to start from scratch to come back better and stronger. Apparently the more things change the more they stay the same...

With the players we signed from SPL and Cribari reputation mixed with youth having 2nd highest wage bill in Scotland ,most fans regarded us having an SPL team playing in the bottom tier of football, i was looking forward after the settling/gelling period we would be playing good attractive football foundations to build for seasons ahead back to SPL. We seem to have gone backwards.

"But there will be better players brought in to the club in September.

The players we have just now are good enough, but they are just not showing it. What happens when Ally brings in another 6-10 players - there will be at least a couple of months of "The team is still gelling together" (which is fair enough), which will be followed by "...with so many injury problems, he can't field a settled side". There will still be the odd "considering what the club has been through...". Topped of with "at least we've won the league again".

The circle will begin again.....

The players we have just now are good enough, but they are just not showing it. What happens when Ally brings in another 6-10 players - there will be at least a couple of months of "The team is still gelling together" (which is fair enough), which will be followed by "...with so many injury problems, he can't field a settled side". There will still be the odd "considering what the club has been through...". Topped of with "at least we've won the league again".

Spot on mate....

Spot on mate the worrying thing is , if Ally can't gel a team to play attractive football on the deck playing bottom of tier football against posties, labourers, taxi drivers, giving him more money to sign players is not the answer.

Im sorry but DJs opinion on the question of Ally having the ability to manage Rangers disappeared in relevance for me when he stated on Clyde," I dont care what people think, ally is my pal and I am not going to stab him in the back". He will back ally no matter how bad it gets......so his opinion is irrelevant in a debate of this managers ability.

Why are we thinking that we need better players to have decent football in the lower divisions....in the 3rd division ffs!!. This is total madness, the football and the performances, be them or a not committed enough, lack of fitness, or not being able to put 2 passes together, or not being able to change tactics , or playing players out of position........these are allys decisions, as well as bringing in around 8 players who did absolutely nothing.....or should I say he did absolutely nothing with. He also had a great squad of players last season, and his management lost us around 10 million pounds in not qualifying for the champs league, then Europa league, then the league cup, then the scottish cup and then throwing away a 14 point lead.......so how is he as a manager going to change that just by bringing in new players. Its the manager that is the problem, and as much as I hate to say it, cos I love the guy, this job is far too big for any rookie manager and a guy should not be learing the trade at Rangers. People are making Ally bigger than the Club itself, and I fear (although I hope to god I am wrong) that we will miss what should be an opportunity to build a fantastic team of football players fit to wear the gers jersey, an ethic based on traditions.

At the best he will have us playing like Walter Smiths team and at worst....well you have see it all too many times

Its unbeleiveble how many people are in denial, do you really believe that these players have went from Scottish cup and league cup winners last season, to being pure shite now, all because they cant be bothered. If the actually cant be bothered then that is Allys fault full stop.