Brett Molloy - East Stirling player

"

The chairman of East Stirlingshire Football Club, Tony Ford, has issued the following statement after receiving correspondence regarding social networking posts made by one of the club’s players.

“I have been contacted by a number of people regarding posts made on social networking sites by one of our under-19 youth team players and I would like to thank those people for bringing this matter to my attention.

“Having read these comments I share your sense of shock and revulsion. Furthermore, I am horrified that a player connected with our club can express such opinions. I am sure all Shire supporters will join me in condemning these words.

“On behalf of everyone at East Stirlingshire Football Club I would like to apologise for the actions of this individual.

“As chairman of the club I would like to express deep regret for the distress these words will have caused the families of those who lost their lives in the Ibrox Disaster.

“I would like to say sorry to all Rangers supporters for the grossly offensive nature of the descriptions used.

“And I would also like to apologise to the officials, staff, coaches and players of Rangers Football Club, who we have spent this season building warm and cordial relations with.

“The player concerned has already been spoken to by club staff and has been told he will be the subject of a disciplinary procedure which will begin tomorrow (Wednesday).

“I will not prejudge this but I believe the individual concerned understands the possible implications and potential outcomes.

“At the start of the season all of our players were spoken to about dealing with the media and using social networking sites. In addition they were given material prepared by the Professional Footballers’ Association in Scotland outlining the potential risks in contributing to these sites.

“In the almost 18 months I have been chairman I, and the rest of the board, have worked extremely hard to make East Stirlingshire a welcoming club for everyone. We have participated willingly and positively in initiatives to combat sectarianism, bigotry and hate.

“A main aim has been to try and use football to promote community, harmony and tolerance. Coming to a Shire match is a social experience above all and many who have participated in that have commented how much like a family the Shire support is.

“I know I speak for the entire board of directors when I say we are proud to be a fan-owned and fan-run club. Likewise, I know my fellow directors are saddened and ashamed by these recent events which have brought no credit to the supporters, coaches and playing staff of our club. To those people too we owe an apology.”"

Fair play to the Shire, that's a strong statement from the Chairman. If proven, the player should never play for their club again.

God forbid that any Rangers player would say something equally crass and offensive, but if they did, that's what I'd expect our club to do.