Success or failure?

How would judge the season?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How would judge the season?

• Success
    • Failure

No small steps are even being made, fans would be patient even with some slight hints of a vision.

I'm not saying eveything's as it should be. Even with the positives, negatives can always be added.

For instance, this season we've given youth more of a chance than I've ever witnessed, BUT we haven't taken the bull by the horns on that front. Our youth setup has taken more criticism from those in the know than I've seen previously.

We were hit with an illegal transfer embargo which left us only able to sign under 18's across 2 transfer windows. I looked at that and straight away saw an oppotunity to invest more in our youth. We should have been scouting the best young talent across the globe, brought in several players with enormous potential between those 2 windows and shown the SFA the finger instead of moaning about the transfer embargo at every opportunity.

Instead we hear comments about our youth setup, like the one from elfideldo the other week that we don't scout pro youths. WTF? Do we expect the best talent to just show up on our doorstep saying 'When are you holding trials mr?'.

This issue isn't the fault of McCoist or Green of course because our youth setup is treated like a seperate entity, but in our current set of circumstances the pair of them should have been looking at that situation and saying 'That's something we can and should change'.

Any vision for taking the club forward both on and off the park isn't going to be realized overnight. Even under normal circumstances it would take time.

I'm not having a go at fellow Rangers fans, but generally speaking we don't have the patience to give the time required for real change to come to fruition.

I have patience if I know what's coming in the short > medium > longterm, mate! Talk of English football and £1 billion pa turnover isn't the way forward for now.

Not even scouting the best 18yr olds when they are the only ones we are allowed to sign is bordering on criminal given the aspirations of our club and our situation. It's simply unacceptable, depressing and even embarrassing. A bit like the football this season. I'm usually positive and have tried to remain so but like some others on here the state of the team and the constant stream of pish emanating from Ibrox has left me cold. Failure.

I have patience if I know what's coming in the short > medium > longterm, mate! Talk of English football and £1 billion pa turnover isn't the way forward for now.

I agree. I want it to happen of course, but our best opportunity to take that path was missed and we're back to square one with 'pie in the sky' soundbytes which do little more than stir up some debate and sell some rags.

It is difficult for the club to convey planning to the fans, as plans announced are plans for our enemies to scupper. So again it comes back to what we see in front of us. Like I was saying, we're not going to see the results in the short term.

We're all passing judgement here based on what we can see. It's NOT the full picture.

Aside from balancing the positives against the negatives, of which there are plenty when you go looking for them, overall this season has been a success.

McCoist aimed to put together a team from scratch in 4 weeks with next to no transfer budget and no pre-season. He aimed to start us back on our journey to where we should be by winning the 3rd Division. It's not quite in the trophy cabinet yet, but I don't think there's any doubt it's won.

Green aimed to keep the club playing football while bringing in the initial £10m investment to enable it to do so while restructuring. He aimed to then bring in a further £20m via the flotation to take us forward.

Both McCoist and Green will have achieved the targets they presented us with at the start of the season, so yes, it's been a success.

Depends what the standards are.

Off the field to come through what we did and have our future secured has to be a success.

On the field is a mass missed opportunity which may be seen as a failure in 5 years time. Performances and recent results along with the Ramsden Cup is a failure.

Depends what the standards are.

Off the field to come through what we did and have our future secured has to be a success.

On the field is a mass missed opportunity which may be seen as a failure in 5 years time. Performances and recent results along with the Ramsden Cup is a failure.

Again that's looking at the short-term picture though. They say you're only as good as your last result in football. That's always been more so the case for Rangers. Poor performances from a good team over a sustained period would be a worry but we're not looking at either here.

Are we seriously going to look back on this seasons exit from the Ramsdens Cup with regret?

It was a distraction from our main objective as were all the cup tournaments this season. Sure, we were capable of winning the Ramsdens but we shouldn't be throwing the dummy out because we didn't.

Again that's looking at the short-term picture though. They say you're only as good as your last result in football. That's always been more so the case for Rangers. Poor performances from a good team over a sustained period would be a worry but we're not looking at either here.

Are we seriously going to look back on this seasons exit from the Ramsdens Cup with regret?

It was a distraction from our main objective as were all the cup tournaments this season. Sure, we were capable of winning the Ramsdens but we shouldn't be throwing the dummy out because we didn't.

Saying its a missed opportunity is looking long term IMO.

But we should be looking at both the now and future, the two are not mutually exclusive.

We're not going to spit the dummy out about the Ramsdens cup but we should have strolled that competition. We will probably look back and wonder why we didnt win it.

I dont agree with the term you're only as good as your last result. Everton got beat 3-0 by Wigan at home in the cup 2 weeks ago and nobody assumed Everton were a poor team over night.

The odd shock or poor result is acceptable in football.

Saying its a missed opportunity is looking long term IMO.

But we should be looking at both the now and future, the two are not mutually exclusive.

We're not going to spit the dummy out about the Ramsdens cup but we should have strolled that competition. We will probably look back and wonder why we didnt win it.

I dont agree with the term you're only as good as your last result. Everton got beat 3-0 by Wigan at home in the cup 2 weeks ago and nobody assumed Everton were a poor team over night.

The odd shock or poor result is acceptable in football.

I think the term tends to be applied more to the manager than the team, but you're right. It's nonsense. Using your example it's not as if Moyes became a bad manager overnight.

No manager does though and that's where the term does apply to Rangers more than most. Every single time the team has a bad result the fans and media alike over-analyze and over-criticise and the buck always stops with the manager.

It's not a new phenomena either. I've witnessed it for every Rangers manager in my lifetime. Digital Media has intensified the furor though. The sway of public opinion is a powerful thing. It can have a brainwashing effect and it's easy to get caught up in it. Especially when your in a similar state of mind to those venting their frustration. A bad result always hits us Rangers fans hard and the manager usually gets the brunt of it. That's how we can go from reaching a European Final to calling for the manager to be sacked before the next season's even kicked off in earnest.

If you're thinking 'No, but that's different. This is more than one bad result' go and have a look at some of the gersnet posts from the beginning of August 2008.