5 years ago today - share your experience

Leaving Carluke at 7am on the Wednesday morning and tavelling down to Manchester 4 up in the car. Park up at my aunts house, drop the overnight bags off, buying our cargo and heading into the carnage that was Manchester City Centre.

All I remember was the heat, the overcrowdedness in Piccadily Square, undercooked sausage rolls from Greggs, men pishing anywhere they could and then the fighting.

Got to HT and we decided enough was enough and we jumped on the train to Chorley and caught the last 30 minutes of the 2nd half in a pub with a hot barmaid. Drunk, burnt, pissed off but smiling.

Then there was the final itself. Not a great performance but a day I'll never, ever forget.

We had a brilliant day.

Four of us went down in my car - leaving here at 5am. I decorated the motor but most of the crap fell off after a short while.

The journey down the M6 was an amazing experience - thousands of other bears all in their cars and buses excited and ready for a great day out. We were staying in Widnes so dropped off our gear and got the train into Manchester. Had a quick spot of lunch in an Italian then headed along towards Piccadilly Square to enjoy the rest of the afternoon before the game.

Unfortunately, the square was already full so we just hung around a nearby pub's beer garden and got stuck into the booze. I was drinking Fruli for the most part - beautiful!

Around the back of six, we then started the walk to the stadium and the match was a bit of a blur really but I didn't think we played all that bad - wee Novo should have equalised late on IIRC. By this time it was dark and cold so we headed back into town to meet up with a mate who couldn't get a ticket and have some more beer. As we approached the city centre, it became apparent there was some trouble but we managed to avoid the remnants of that - although one riot van almost killed us.

After that a lot of the pubs were closed so we decided to try and head back to Widnes for more beer. Bizarrely, all the trains had been stopped and replacement buses were few and far between. Luckily we managed to hail a taxi and get back to the digs - too late for more drink but early enough for a decent sleep ahead of the long journey home the next day.

That wasn't quite as exciting as the one down - especially after hearing more about the bother. But, it was still one of the best days of my life and I'll treasure the memories forever!

Edited by Frankie

The journey down went surprisingly well. I was worried we'd get held up in huge traffic jams on the M6 but apart from the odd set of roadworks we made it down to Chorley in about 3 or so hours passing supporters buses and cars decked out in red, white and blue and also the banners hanging from footbridges over the motorway.

We got the bus to Bolton then another bus to Manchester. Long way for a shortcut.

I remembering winding up young Fraser up about me getting a ticket for the game.

Yeah, the road was busy but the journey was fine. Did see one accident around the Moffat junction but everything was fine other than that.

We stopped at a Services for breakfast somewhere between Carlisle and Lancaster and the place was bouncing. The trip really was an amazing experience.

Drove down on the Tuesday. The M74 drive was incredible with every bridge full of people waving us off. We were staying in Altrincham but went into Manchester in the evening. Went for a nice Italian and then off to the Ropeworks for one of the best singsongs ever. It was totally bouncing.

Next morning we went into Albert Square early to sample the atmosphere. Again the place was buzzing and there was not a hint of trouble, Stayed there for a while and then for lunch and then went to Piccadilly Square, which was just too busy so we left and went to the Lowry hotel and chilled out in the balcony over-looking the canal, sharing the bar with guys like McLeish and Watson, Alan Smith, Konterman, Numan etc. Very enjoyable afternoon.

Got a taxi to the game. Funniest thing was a trail of bears leaving a chinese wholesalers laden down with beer. They had obviously drunk everwhere else out of the stuff. Great to see so many bluenoses in the ground.

Afterwards we walked back into the centre and it was only then that we realised that there had been any trouble. Went back to the Lowry and tried in vain to get a taxi but no chance so had to wake up a mate to drive us back to Altrincham.

A couple of days that will stay with me forever.

Folks flew in from UK at 4pm, quickly dropped them at my place then headed to Rangers supporters bar. Kick off wasnt until 3am so had to pace ourselves. Bar was full but not overcrowded plus mainly expat couples so a great atmosphere. Plenty barmaids serving drinks to hand rather than queing plus a good lay on of snacks.

Game was a let down but still a great occasion.

I couldn't go to Manchester but spent a few days worrying about my 16 year old daughter who went with her club. She had an absolute ball and when we are out now I am still hearing about drinks she tried in Manchester :)

If such an opportunity arises again, I will be there. Nothing will stop me.

I had an industry exam the following day in Falkirk so I had the day off months in advance but as soon as McGregor made that save in Bremen I immediately thought my study day was going to come in handy. In all honesty I thought our name was on the trophy.

My wee cousin was at school at the time and his mum wouldn't let him go and because he was on the CCC scheme he was in the ballot for a ticket. He said I'd get his ticket if he got 1. He gave me the confirmation letter on the night of the Motherwell game the Wednesday before - however, he said his mum was letting him go and could I get him a seat on the bus! Could have throttled there and then!

Left Stonehouse at 6am but because I had the exam I said that I wasn't going to drink. That all changed 10 minutes later when our bus was stuck in a massive traffic jam just down the road in Lesmahagow!

Stopping at the services down south it was unbelievable to see so many red, white and blue. I don't think the staff at these places could quite believe it. My dad and his mates were already down in Manchester and speaking to their hotel staff they were expecting between 25 and 30,000 people to make the trip!

When we finally got down to Manchester, myself, my cousin and my mate went into a Tesco Express and all they had left was rosy wine.

We quickly found our mates who were at Piccadilly Gardens. My dad and my uncles were at Albert Square and if I have 1 regret of that day it was that I didn't get a chance to have a beer with him that day.

We went and got another cargo and food about 6ish before we went back to Piccadilly Gardens and tried to get into the Fans Zone. I could sense then something wasn't right and there were too many fans there. We were getting crushed quite a bit. I just had a feeling something was going to happen so we made our way to a nearby pub - an Irish themed pub ironically.

I can remember looking around at all the leprechauns and harps and turned to my mate, who had also went to Stuttgart and Lisbon that season, and thinking "it wasn't supposed to be like this".

The game was pretty pish I thought although I think we came up against a very good Zenit side. Coming back out I wasn't aware of any trouble until I got a few calls and texts from people back up the road.

We eventually found our bus and got back up the road. Overall it was a great day but it wasn't a patch on the few days I had in Lisbon.

Absolutely belter of a day here too. Is it really only five years ago? Seems like ten.

I couldn't get a ticket for love nor money but had decided to go down with some friends in a minibus.

On Tuesday, Amanda from the TO called me at work and asked if I wanted a ticket. Couldn't believe it. It was £90, but perfect position on the half way line behind the press boxes. Had to pick the ticket up at the Midland hotel.

So we left about 6am, and the way down was bouncing. It was really something else. Parked at Wigan and got the tram in. Arriving at Piccadilly was incredible.

Headed down to the Midlands hotel, picked up my ticket, had a couple of pints, and met up with some friends. They'd taken over the outside of an Italian. Glorious sunshine, so we parked there all day eating and drinking Perroni.

Headed up to the ground around six, and that was awesome too. The match was a disappointment, but still an experience.

Heard on the way back from the ground that things had taken off. Got an old friend on a train which took ages, and then my mate and I tried to negotiate out way back to Wigan. Bumped into loads of riot police, who were OK after they sussed we were the good guys. Eventually back home about 11am or something.

Exhausted but exhilarated. And a wee bit disappointed at the result and the aftermath.

Me, Juffery and our Sheepy pal who came along for the banter drove down from Edinburgh but didn't set off till almost mid-day. Didn't arrive till around 4.30-5pm. Remember sending a text to Frankie to meet up but we didn't have time in the end.

Dropped the car at a Tesco carpark in the southside of Manchester. Taxi into town, then found the nearest off sales and bought a couple of crates of warm Fosters.

Into the city centre to soak up the atmosphere and have a few scoops. Then into Albert Square trying to watch the game which ultimately ended in disappointment. Insanely few toilets provided which resulted in guys pissing anywhere.

After the game we went for a curry at a wee place just below street level at Albert Square. Despite repeated attempts to pay by asking for the bill, we eventually decide to walk out and were waived on our way by the restaurant staff. The free curry certainly helped raise spirits a little.

Caught a bus back to the car, singing the Jean-Claude Darcheville and the Carlos Cuellar songs in full voice to the bemused mooks of locals.

Slept the night in the car at Tesco Car park before making our way home the next day, and to the tragic news of Tommy Burns passing away.

Some bittersweet memories, but a great 36 hours nonetheless.