At times, it is difficult to figure out how Ally's mind works. Signing Kenny Miller along with the decision to bring back average players, like Foster and Smith will hardly motivate the younger guys who have ambitions to break through. Same thinking applies to signing another goalkeeper!

Aird, McKay, Templeton, Little, Mitchell, Shiels and Clark can all play right wing. Even Crawford has been played there. Plenty options.

That's what I mean. Plenty of lads to fill in if necessary.

That's what I mean. Plenty of lads to fill in if necessary.

Absolutely though i would *bin one of them and **never play three of them on the right. Even taking those 4 away, that leaves 4 options. Still enough.

* and ** Can you guess who?

I just read in an interview Ally's philosophy regarding the squad is for every player to know that if they don't perform well, another lad is right behind them to step in. That may explain why (almost) every position seems a bit crowded. Ally's trying to keep the pressure up. I still doubt that doing it at the expense of youngsters who might perform just as well, if not better, is the right way.

I just read in an interview Ally's philosophy regarding the squad is for every player to know that if they don't perform well, another lad is right behind them to step in. That may explain why (almost) every position seems a bit crowded. Ally's trying to keep the pressure up. I still doubt that doing it at the expense of youngsters who might perform just as well, if not better, is the right way.

But this line of thinking only works if a) the youngsters are easily de-motivated and b) if they are the ones sitting on the bench or sidelines not getting a game.

Any youngster should be prepared to work very, very hard to get a game ahead of that seasoned veteran - they shouldnt be thinking "ahhh, Foster is going to keep getting a game so I just wont bother trying in training" - if they have that attitude we are better without them anyway.

In speaking to Mitchell last night his attitude is one that you want to hear - he is working very, very hard as he wants that first team spot ahead of Foster.

But this line of thinking only works if a) the youngsters are easily de-motivated and b) if they are the ones sitting on the bench or sidelines not getting a game.

Any youngster should be prepared to work very, very hard to get a game ahead of that seasoned veteran - they shouldnt be thinking "ahhh, Foster is going to keep getting a game so I just wont bother trying in training" - if they have that attitude we are better without them anyway.

In speaking to Mitchell last night his attitude is one that you want to hear - he is working very, very hard as he wants that first team spot ahead of Foster.

See what you mean mate. I wouldnâ??t accuse any of our youngsters of a bad or unprofessional attitude. They seem to have their heads screwed on right which I think is a reason some of themcould really shine last year.

Aird, McKay, Templeton, Little, Mitchell, Shiels and Clark can all play right wing. Even Crawford has been played there. Plenty options.

Aird, McKay, Templeton ... are left wingers.

Mitchell is like Foster and Cole and Argyirou a right back

Shiels is an attacking (Central) midfielder, as is Crawford

Clark is a striker

Little is the only chap who, while loving to play as striker, as the quality to be and has long-played as a right winger / inside right.

As I said before, we have quite a few "utility" players for nigh any position, but bar Little, we have no real right winger. And as far as I am concerned, I had enough of utility people for the forseeable future ...

'Rangers are considering a move for former Dundee goalkeeper Steve Simonsen.

The 34-year-old could be offered a deal as back-up to Cammy Bell. Scott Gallacher, 24, and Alan Smith, 20, are already in the squad but manager Ally McCoist would prefer to have experienced cover if Bell is unavailable.

Simonsen, the former England under-21 international, impressed at Dens Park towards the end of last season but Dundee were unable to afford him after they were relegated. The 34-year-old has made it clear he would have no hesitation in returning to Scotland if he was offered terms by Rangers.

Meanwhile, Walter Smith, the Rangers chairman, insists Craig Mather deserved his promotion to the role of permanent chief executive. Smith and Mather flew to Germany on Monday to be with McCoist and the squad during their pre-season training camp. "Craig has had three months where he has been doing extremely well running the club more or less on his own," Smith said. "He deserves his appointment and I feel he did a good enough job in that first period for us to recognise that."

Meanwhile, a Lee McCulloch goal gave Rangers a 1-0 victory over Gutersloh last night in the first game of their German tour. Arnold Peralta, the Honduran midfielder signed in the summer, made his debut as McCoist's side recorded a fourth consecutive win and a fourth clean sheet in a row'.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...eeper.21638716