New SPFL Structures voted through: 12-10-10-10

Feel this is an awful decision but as the Stirling Albion chairman said he may have had no choice but to vote yes.

Bullying at the highest order feel very disappointed and greed rules the day but what do you expect they are all short sighted chairmen.

I'm sure this will result in a meltdown of our game, but hell mend them. We only watch from the sidelines.

There will be some cringeworthy quotes when it all goes pear shaped and they need their get out clause.

I think that Doncaster is a silky tonged operator who could easily move into politics. Like most politicians he is not to be trusted. Or actually even given a job.

He talks a great talk, but is probably up there as the most inept, clueless and incompetent character ever to have been involved in Scottish football.

The door is open for the olive branches now. These chappies better be very careful, or Scottish football will implode.

That is not an exaggeration.

Just a savvy bit of crystal ball reading.

Conjecture and negativity??

OK i'll give you that but are you saying Rangers knew nothing of this??

I said that a) Rangers had no voice nor vote, and b) that it is quite a sinister look upon our current leaders to say they all knew this and let this happen.

'This is not a merger - the SFL has been swallowed up by an SPL takeover'

The president of the SFL insists the formation of one league body is a takeover and not a merger.

Jim Ballantyne said in the wake of the vote to bring the SPL and SFL together that the 30 lower league clubs had been â??swallowed upâ?.

He said the SFL had been a â??casualtyâ? of the process and said it was unclear as yet if the move would help Scottish football move forward.

Asked if he felt the SFL had been taken over, Ballantyne said: "It is not a feeling, it is a fact. It is a takeover. We are joining their company, their organisation.

"They have swallowed us up. We could use nice words about it it, but it is a takeover.

"It is very sad that the Scottish Football League has had to be a casualty but unfortunately we were left with one option.

"Did I want to see the end of the Scottish Football League? Absolutely not.

"Did I want to see football strive forward? Then yes. It will be for others to decide if this step takes us to where we want to go."

Fareweel to a' our Scottish fame,

Fareweel our ancient glory;

Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish game,

Sae fam'd in football story.

Now the SPL rules over SFL stands,

An' tears will fill an ocean,

An' tell where Doncaster's lackeys stand

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

By STEPHEN HALLIDAY

Published on 13/06/2013 00:00

AS the television crews packed up their equipment and reporters rose to leave the Hampden auditorium where, a little earlier, the Scottish Football League’s death warrant had been issued, David Longmuir managed a wry smile and said: “Will somebody please put the lights out?”

It was gallows humour for the man who, six years ago, was *appointed chief executive of the SFL at another time of crisis. Is there ever anything else in *Scottish football?

Back in 2007, Longmuir’s first task was to stave off the threat posed by ten clubs to break away and form an SPL2.

He succeeded on that occasion but yesterday saw the SFL disintegrate around him, 23 member clubs taking the decision to wind it up and accept the restructuring proposal which will see a 42-club Scottish Professional Football League constituted later this month.

Having been generally regarded in a better light than either of his contemporaries at the Scottish Premier League and Scottish FA, Neil Doncaster and Stewart Regan, for his approach to the Rangers crisis which *engulfed the game last summer, Longmuir and the 123-year-old SFL have now become casualties of this year’s close-season turmoil.

Longmuir’s future, and that of the other five full-time and three part-time staff at the SFL, is now uncertain.

It is understood their contracts will be transferred over to the SPFL under employment legislation, but it remains to be seen if there will be long-term positions for all of them in the new body. “That’s something I’m not considering at the moment,” said Longmuir. “Others will tell me if I have [a role].”

Although Longmuir has long championed a 42-club solution for Scottish football, it is clear he has been uncomfortable with the way it has been engineered by the SPL and SFA. While trying to remain positive yesterday, the former drinks industry executive warned that clubs could come to regret yesterday’s decision if there is no change in the approach from those governing Scottish football.

“People have to learn a lot from this process,” said Longmuir. “If there are no learnings from this, then we are making a big mistake. People have to learn that the way to do business is to bring people with you at all times.

“When you are embarking on a process of change as big as this, the important step is the first one – to get everyone on board at that very early point. I don’t think there was enough care and attention paid to the need to do that.

“Today’s result has brought us over the line but it could have been done a lot better.

“I feel there were some reluctant heroes today. In principle, we have always embraced the 42-club solution.

“Once you start going into detail behind the big principles, there were areas of major concern for clubs. That was reflected in the vote. Nevertheless, a lot of them have seen it for the good of the game.

“It is a means to an end. The only major tangible benefit that the fan out there is going to see are play-offs between the *Premier and First divisions, along with the possible impact of a pyramid coming in at the bottom of the Third in 2015.

“You are hopefully going to see a focus on trying to bring fans back to the game, trust back in one league body running the game. It’s not the end in itself, there is a lot more which needs to be done.

“What we have all been through over the last few months has been intense and relentless in some places. It has been full of frustration and *littered with variables. But today, the clubs made a decision in significant majority to accept the proposal as it *currently stands.

“Therefore we go ahead with the five core *principles which were agreed coming out of the McLeish *Report a couple of years ago.

“Today we have voted as an organisation to embrace those principles and look forward to a positive future for the national game at league level. You only need to look at the make-up of the SFL to see that certain issues will have more of an impact on certain clubs.

“I think it is a fair result based on the needs and requirements of the clubs in the league. So I wasn’t too surprised by the *result. It’s a big day in terms of the future and it’s an important day in terms of its past.”

Longmuir will spend the next two weeks overseeing the legal arrangements necessary for the SFL to be wound up and for its 30 clubs to become part of the SPL-owned SPFL on 27 June.

“A board of directors for the SPFL will also be formed on that date, including three representatives from the top flight, two from the First Division and just one to represent all 20 clubs in the Second and Third Divisions.

While the influence of lower -tier clubs is clearly being diminished, Longmuir expressed the hope that the core values of the SFL can still be retained to some dergee in the new organisation.

“The SPFL still contains those three words – Scottish Football League,” added Longmuir. “I see a bright future for everyone *involved in the SFL. It is *important to deliver professional football for 42 clubs. If we can do it under one roof, then all the better for the game.

“Before 1998 there was only one body running league football. We are going back to that situation, albeit under a new name with different branding and maybe some new people.

“The good of the game is the most important aspect.

“As long as there are some learnings from this process that the new organisation takes with it, as long as there is recognition of the important role the SFL has always played.

“That should not be lost because it has been a huge asset to the game.”

Why we voted Yes: Martin Ritchie (Falkirk FC)

FALKIRK chairman Martin Ritchie believes that yesterday’s historic decision at Hampden has saved First Division clubs from stagnation.

One of the chief proponents of a “Yes” vote, Ritchie was among those prepared to resign from the Scottish Football League and apply for membership of the Scottish Premier League if the ballot had not delivered the outcome he wanted. He said: “This is a big step forward and it gives us a great platform to build on.

“It will be fantastic for the First Division, which was stagnating with only one team promoted every year. Our fans now have more reasons than ever to buy season tickets, because there is now a play-off route to the top division. The likelihood is that six or seven of the 10 clubs will now be competing right up until the last game of the season to either move up or stay up. So it is brilliant for the First Division and it also gives us a chance to go forward as one body, which means that, if we want to make further changes in the future, the structure is a damn sight easier to tweak than it has been. Because this is a whole package of measures, every club will have had identified some element of the plan they don’t like and I include Falkirk in that. But, during the process of discussions, people talked about what they didn’t like, rather than the positive aspects. There was no expression of ‘is this better or worse than what we have or what would be left?’.

“The First Division clubs always wanted a single body but we would have looked at the other options had the status quo remained,” added Ritchie. “What does it mean to us financially? It gives us a bit of breathing space and allows us to keep things as they are, rather than add to the cuts we have made in recent seasons.

“The increase in money will not mean we go and pay transfer fees for players, but it does mean we can continue to run an under-20 side.

“We can keep doing the basics which, in itself, is massive.”

Why we voted No: Henry McClelland (Annan Athletic FC)

ANNAN Athletic chairman Henry McClelland has been one of the most consistent critics of the league restructuring proposal passed at Hampden yesterday.

He was one of six club representatives to vote against the resolution and feels it has been pushed through without proper consideration of the potential implications and as a result of scaremongering from the rebel First Division chairmen. “I am still trying to come to terms with the decision,” said McClelland.

“Some of the guys in the meeting were not happy with the way the merger had gone, not happy with the voting structure and governance, not happy with the financial distribution model, not happy with the pyramid and play-off structures – but despite all of that were still voting ‘Yes’.

“So the fear that a number of people had about what the outcome of a ‘No’ vote would be and all the threats of a breakaway from First Division clubs have not helped. It has all been explained with indecent haste and it was typical of how information has been fired across from the SPL. The due diligence we finally got from the SFA isn’t binding, it is just guidance. They are not qualified to do due diligence. Even today, there is uncertainty over the financial numbers which have been presented to us. Even with that uncertainty, clubs have voted ‘Yes’ to the risk associated with it.

“It is so wrong the way pressure has been applied. Even 36 hours before our final decision was taken, we were still missing key information about the relevant finances. As the fine detail does get clearer, everyone will start to understand and learn how the clubs at the lower end of Scottish football have been marginalised. We have definitely been had. Clubs like Annan will be facing a £20,000 deficit in our end of season payment. If you believe the number being touted of £18 million for distribution, based on £22 million turnover, Annan would get £36,000.

“Under the new governance, 40 clubs could support a resolution in the future and it could fail because just two clubs say ‘No’. Going forward, the 20 clubs in the Second and Third Divisions now have very little input into decisions with one representative on the new board.

“Annan analysed all of the detail before us and voted ‘No’. Our conscience is clear. We have only been members of the SFL for the last five years of its 123 year existence but we have felt privileged to be a part of it.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/sfl-brought-to-an-end-by-reluctant-heroes-1-2964790

Longmuir has taken way too long to get a statement out. While being the only credible and honest member of the 3 men at the top of each body he has been way too weak and quiet, and didnt grab his opportunity months ago. He had the trump card with Rangers being in the SFL for 3 years and has let these sneaks come in the back door and achieve their takeover.

It all makes sense now. I think it was Rab who said SFA and SPL have managed to negotiate with SKY to have Rangers away from the SPL for another season (initially it was 1) then the SPL 2 will be in place and a TV deal struck.

The season is 6-7 weeks from being underway, they will roll out the fixtures for 12-10-10-10 and plans will be in place for 12-12-18 next year.

THE good news is we’ve finally got what most of us wanted — a fairer share of income, proper play-offs and a pyramid system.

The bad news is it’s pretty much going to be run by the hopeless, toxic EssPeeEll.

The truly terrible news? That’ll be if the man at the top of the pile is still £200,000-a-year chocolate teapot Neil Doncaster.

Under his Titanic-style leadership, Scotland’s top-flight has withered commercially, economically and also competitively.

He cares as much for East Stirling and Brechin City as David Cameron does for your granny’s damp kitchen.

Yet it seems very much as if the result of yesterday’s supposed ‘merger’ between the leagues will be the emptying of the SFL’s people and the feathering of the EssPeeEll’s nest.

That surely can’t be right.

That can’t possibly be healthy.

For all that the basics of what the new SPFL stands for are acceptable, if all it really turns out to be is a takeover, then you have to fear all we’ll end up with is every level of the game being tainted by an organisation which has spent 15 years dismantling so much the ordinary fan loves about football.

The only truly honest outcome of all the horse-trading leading up to yesterday’s historic decision would have been a completely fresh start.

An admission that we needed new leadership, new ideas, a new outlook for a new era.

This may still be what we get once the new body gets cracking on June 27. But I have serious, serious doubts.

Many of these stem from listening to the clubs crowing loudest about what a great result this is; Falkirk, Hamilton, Raith Rovers, pretty much the same ones who, only a couple of weeks ago, were threatening to break away and form EssPeeEll 2 and to hell with everyone else.

They made that threat at the SFL’s AGM, hours before I hosted the end-of-season Irn-Bru Awards in Glasgow.

Talking to chairmen and managers that night, those from the Second and Third Divisions saw little chance of pulling the rebels back in and voting through a 42-team solution.

That we now do have this 42-team solution suggests it’s loaded more towards those rebels than it is to those in the divisions below.

And while, however we’ve got there, what matters most is that we HAVE got there... well, something just doesn’t sit comfortably.

Something tells me it’s not just as happy ever after as a few would have us believe.

For me, the SFA have let down a lot of people in all this.

They should have been involved from the off as a neutral peacekeeper, They should have been bringing to the table a plan to form one governing body, running everything from public park games to pro leagues and cups to the national team. That would have been GENUINE progress.

Instead, it felt that they sided with the EssPeeEll all along and, in the end, will be perfectly content to see the SFL consigned to history, so it’s one less niggling voice in their ear.

Still, all this is politics, in-fighting, back-stabbing. And none of that will matter a toss if the new set-up delivers what it says on the tin.

If the promised redistribution of wealth narrows the chasm between finishing second bottom of the top division and second top of the one beneath, that’ll be something.

If play-offs between the Premier and First generate more excitement and reduce meaningless games, magic.

If opening the senior trap door makes some part-time clubs less complacent, that has to be good news.

If it then spreads pro football into new parts of the country, even better.

If one day, some pub team with big dreams does a Wimbledon and goes all the way to play with the big boys — not in a quick-fix Gretna way, but by earning it — that might just be the biggest bonus of all.

That’s a lot of ifs. But all we can do is hope.

And if Doncaster IS the man appointed to oversee all of this and it turns out that he DOES deliver?

Well, he’s welcome to come round and stick a big custard pie in my coupon. It’s just on past experience I wouldn’t trust him to deliver a wean’s Christmas list to Santa.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/4966554/Bill-Leckie-Happy-ever-after-I-wouldnt-be-so-sure.html#ixzz2W3E2tH5b

Can someone remind me, was all this restructuring/take over always on the cards?. I mean if all that happened to us hadn't would this still have gone through?. As far as I recall our problems were the catalyst to this restructuring/take over,why?.

Edited by ian1964

Guest DietofWorms
Can someone remind me, was all this restructuring/take over always on the cards?. I mean if all that happened to us hadn't would this still have gone through?. As far as I recall our problems were the catalyst to this restructuring/take over,why?.

Our money and pulling power when it comes to any TV deals. It's the only answer, as far as I can see.