Owen Joins Sheffield United

8f878ea0803189dcd4867928ffaf1eb9_S.jpg

HEAD of Sports Science Adam Owen has left the club to take up a role working with ex-Rangers defender David Weir at Sheffield United.

The Welshman has been appointed to a position entitled â??Assistant Manager â?? Performanceâ?? at Bramall Lane.

Owen had been with Gers since early 2007 and moves on with the blessing of Light Blues boss Ally McCoist.

Weir worked closely with him for almost five years in Glasgow and the two struck up a close relationship during that time.

Owen has now been reunited with the legendary former captain and will be tasked with trying to get his new side out of League One this season.

He returns to Yorkshire having worked there previously for the Bladesâ?? city rivals Sheffield Wednesday, who the Scottish Third Division champions will face in a July 24 friendly at Hillsborough.

Owen, 32, said: â??Iâ??ve had seven fantastic years at Rangers and turned down other opportunities to work elsewhere to join David at Sheffield United.

â??This is a big progression for me to come into a club the size of this as an Assistant Manager. The aim, alongside David, is to make sure we develop the clubâ??s on and off-pitch progress.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...

Timing couldn't be worse as preseason starts on Monday , plus any new fitness coach will want to implement their own program,s .

Also for all those blaming Owen , hes going to join a guy who rates his fitness very highly , do you honestly think Davie Weir would take someone who doesn't know their stuff , seriously , maybe just maybe the answer lies elsewhere .

Edited by rbr

I think it would be interesting for SA to take a random sample of Gersnetters and assess their fitness and then see if there is a correlation to what they think training is all about...

It's easy to say that players should be puking their guts up after every session, but who has tried it?

But then we have someone on here who thinks McCulloch is two stone over weight when he is unlikely to even have two stone of fat in total...

For me I doubt there is a huge lack of fitness; instead I'm of the thinking that many people underestimate the fitness of part-time, professional sportsmen. The "my Sunday league team are fitter" comments are a joke - why would you pay to play Sunday league when you have the obvious ability to play for a real club, for money?

Quick example of differing ideas , when PLG first arrived he instructed the Doc at the time Ian McGuinness that water and only water was to be given to players , no re hydration mixtures , no salts or carbs nothing , now there is not a sportsman in the world who doesnt take some sort of rehydration/supplement .

I cycle on average 3 times 50 miles plus every 2 weeks and I consider myself reasonably fit for my age averaging around the 20mph mark , however if I take just water then after about 30-35 miles I start cramping and basically blowing out my arse , sports medicine is so so important these days anyone who doesnt think so is kidding themselves on

Quick example of differing ideas , when PLG first arrived he instructed the Doc at the time Ian McGuinness that water and only water was to be given to players , no re hydration mixtures , no salts or carbs nothing , now there is not a sportsman in the world who doesnt take some sort of rehydration/supplement .

I cycle on average 3 times 50 miles plus every 2 weeks and I consider myself reasonably fit for my age averaging around the 20mph mark , however if I take just water then after about 30-35 miles I start cramping and basically blowing out my arse , sports medicine is so so important these days anyone who doesnt think so is kidding themselves on

Never heard that before about PLG. Not such a genius people make out then.