Henry Takes Coaching Role

5a6a95a40b03b874f757ee5cf0c886e0_S.jpg

RANGERS have appointed Jim Henry as their new Head of Sports Science following Adam Owenâ??s recent departure for Sheffield United.

Henry started with the club earlier this week and arrives at the Light Blues with a great deal of Premiership experience.

Having begun working in football in 1996, he had nearly four years as Aston Villaâ??s first-team fitness coach between 2006 and 2010.

Henry also spent time at Sunderland as their Head of Athletic Performance at first-team level between November 2011 and March this year.

A former Scottish judo internationalist, his methods have attracted praise from the likes of current Manchester City midfielder James Milner in the past.

Someone Ally McCoist knows from his youth in East Kilbride - he attended Hunter High while Henry was a pupil at Duncanrig â?? the manager is delighted to have appointed him.

The Gers boss said: â??Jim has joined the coaching staff and I have no doubt he will be a huge success. His expertise will undoubtedly help the players prepare for the challenges ahead.

â??He has enjoyed his time with the players in the last few days and will get the squad in peak condition for the campaign ahead.*

â??This pre-season is very different from last term as we couldnâ??t adequately prepare. We have a full programme of matches to play plus a trip to Germany.

â??His experience and knowledge is second to none and we all look forward to working with him on a daily basis.â?

Chief executive Craig Mather added: â??We are delighted to welcome Jim to Rangers. He has a proven track record of excellence in his field and a wealth of experience to offer this club.

â??He will be a valuable addition to the football department and I know Ally and Kenny McDowall rate him very highly.

â??Jim has worked at a number of clubs north and south of the border, including Aston Villa and Sunderland, and we wish him well in his new role.

â??Already we have seen signs of Jimâ??s positive impact and influence in the first week of pre-season and believe Rangers fans will witness a much higher level of fitness because of his expertise.â?

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...

No doubt given they know each other we will hear the "jobs for the boys" crowd.

But given he was at Villa for 4 years and at Sunderland for a couple he does certainly seem to have a very decent pedigree.

No doubt given they know each other we will hear the "jobs for the boys" crowd.

But given he was at Villa for 4 years and at Sunderland for a couple he does certainly seem to have a very decent pedigree.

Jim 'Big Ecks' Hendry was with Celtic for years after Martin O'Neill came. He was there at the time of Larrsson, Balde etc. I know because I used to rib him about it (grew up with him) because he used to go to the Gers games when he was young. You wouldn't want to give him a hard time though - he's an absolute animal when he wants to be. He used to be a bouncer and I can tell you nobody messed with him twice. Built like a brick shit house.

Edited by Anchorman

Villa and Sunderland, was he following O'Neil around.:whistling:

O'Neill took him to Breezeblock Boulevard in the 99/00 season and he left in 10/06. O'Neill took him everywhere. Mark my words he is no Tim though. He is a total fitness professional. He was Rangers daft as a boy in EK and he will be delighted to be at Ibrox but he will still be the total professional. It's a brilliant signing as I will categorically guarantee that he will take no prisoners and he will get them fit. He's not to be messed with (I'm told that even Balde was wary of 'Big Ecks').

Edited by Anchorman

Hearing good things about him only hope the players have the wit to listen to him.

Oh they will!!! I know I'm repeating myself but I'm delighted by this. It shows we mean business in making sure the players are fit. Ally knows Jim very well and knows that they players won't get away with slacking under him - and Jim is one of the best in the business.

Jim 'Big Ecks' Hendry was with Celtic for years after Martin O'Neill came. He was there at the time of Larrsson, Balde etc. I know because I used to rib him about it (grew up with him) because he used to go to the Gers games when he was young. You wouldn't want to give him a hard time though - he's an absolute animal when he wants to be. He used to be a bouncer and I can tell you nobody messed with him twice. Built like a brick shit house.

Just the sort of guy we need in the trenches, when we return to the Theater of junkies.

"Someone Ally McCoist knows from his youth in East Kilbride"

Let's not joke that it isn't jobs for the boys. Jimmy Sinclair syndrome. Whether it is a good appontment or not. He obviously deserves a chance. Best of luck to him. I hope he has the balls to get tore into the likes of Perry, Hutton and Cole!

O'Neill took him to Breezeblock Boulevard in the 99/00 season and he left in 10/06. O'Neill took him everywhere. Mark my words he is no Tim though. He is a total fitness professional. He was Rangers daft as a boy in EK and he will be delighted to be at Ibrox but he will still be the total professional. It's a brilliant signing as I will categorically guarantee that he will take no prisoners and he will get them fit. He's not to be messed with him (I'm told that even Balde was wary of 'Big Ecks').

Thanks for that mate, interesting.

I was only joking about O'Neil, as long as he is good at his job.