Punish Every Fan Not Just The Old Firm

PUNISH EVERY FAN NOT JUST THE OLD FIRM

Bain demands ASBOS for all

By Anthony Haggerty

RANGERS chief executive Martin Bain last night leapt to the defence of the Old Firm as he welcomed new SFA plans to combat sectarianism.

And he believes a new offence of unacceptable behaviour could see more clubs out with Rangers and Celtic land in the dock.

Bain admitted there is a sectarian problem that is being addressed.

But he insisted Rangers and Celtic cannot be blamed for all the ills in Scottish football and should not bear the brunt of all punishments.

In a thinly-veiled swipe at Aberdeen in particular the Ibrox supremo maintained other clubs should be targeted for sanctions.

Bain said: "It is not appropriate for people and their families to go to grounds, or have fans come to Ibrox, and listen to chants about the death of former players or disasters that may have happened at stadiums.

"These are totally repugnant to all people with any moral responsibilty.

"I thought everyone round the table had one common goal, basically to eradicate sectarianism from Scotland.

"We believe Rangers have an important role to play in that but it's been recognised today that it is not just in isolation to Rangers. Many clubs across Scotland are involved with anti-social behaviour.

"Their fans have a responsibility to their club so the benchmark that has been introduced is something we have been promoting for some time.

"The detail will be important but in terms of the assesment for all clubs with respect to anti-social behaviour, it is something we will welcome.

"There is no doubt the situation we had with Villarreal, the stick UEFA yielded, was one that made people sit up and think it could bring serious consequences for their team. "Yes, there always needs to be a big stick.

"I hope those who implement the scheme recognise it is across all clubs, is basically about anti-social behaviour and there is a general assessment - not just Rangers and Celtic in the spotlight.

"In the seminar it was clear this isn't just an issue for the Old Firm, it's other clubs and other parts of social responsibilty in Scotland.

"If it just turns into Rangers and Celtic in the spotlight and points deductions just for the Old Firm on purely sectarian issues I would take umbrage.

"But I have every faith it is about all football in Scotland."

Bain was speaking after SFA chief executive David Taylor gave a presentation in Glasgow City Halls yesterday.

It was part of the Scottish Executive's second Summit on Sectarianism, outlining proposals to be put in place for the start of next season.

They will have to be ratified by the SFA and SPL before getting the go-ahead

Included in the eight-point action plan is the ability to impose statutory fines for sectarian offences inside football grounds, deduction of points and even evictions from cup competitions,

Taylor insisted football's governing body UEFA had not pressured the SFA into taking a tough stance,

But he hopes it will not be too difficult to impose such sanctions in the Scottish game and make it fall in line with European club football and international footballing laws.

Taylor said: "Sectarianism is a serious problem in society and Scottish football is caught up in that.

"We have to be clear we need to do something about this and perhaps more than we have done in the past.

"This has been done because we want to do it and our major clubs want to do it and there is a real willingness within Scottish football to get rid of sectarianism.

"I am hoping never to have to impose these punishments but what we need to do as a last resort is to have some sort of sanctions if incidents happen that otherwise could have been prevented.

"The SFA and SPL intend to introduce a new disciplinary offence of unacceptable behaviour within football grounds in Scotland.

"It will be related to disorderly conduct and be wider than sectarianism which will fall into that remit.

"We are in discussion with our colleagues at the SPL and the starting point would be the beginning of next season.

"It requires changes to the constitutions of the SFA and SPL to bring is into line with our UEFA and FIFA counterparts and that would be before the start of the 2007/08 season.

"Fines, deduction of points and banning from cup competitions are certainly within the UEFA and FIFA statutes and regulations and throughout world football.

"We are being encouraged by both these regulatory bodies to do the same.

"I myself sit on the UEFA disciplinary committee.

"We stopped short last week of deducting points from a team in the UEFA Cup because of the misconduct of their supporters. We decided against it at the 11th hour.

"However, we seriously considered it and that just goes to show what those bodies are prepared to do and we have to be ready to do likewise.

"The SFA would still have gone ahead with these measures regardless if Rangers had not been fined by UEFA after the Villarreal match incidents.

"I wholeheartedly agree with Martin Bain that this is not specifically aimed at punishing just the Old Firm.

"This is aimed at behaviour in football grounds in Scotland and broader than sectarianism.

"I am not saying the Old Firm will be deducted points for sectarian offences.

"I am saying the SFA have to implement and put effective disciplinary sanctions in place as a back-up for any offences that may occur.

""I think the Old Firm fans will get the message."

At last a response from Rangers defending our supporters although i get the feeling that Rangers will be the first and probably the only club to be given these tough penalties. It would seem to me when these things are implemented the judges only see the colour blue. We do have a sectarian problem and we must admit that but having different rules for other clubs for anti-social behaviour is also a form of sectarianism.

I think Tailors last remark says it all really:

""I think the Old Firm fans will get the message."

He only see's fit to mention the old firm surley football fans would have been more appropriate.:sigh:

"I myself sit on the UEFA disciplinary committee.

"We stopped short last week of deducting points from a team in the UEFA Cup because of the misconduct of their supporters. We decided against it at the 11th hour.

"However, we seriously considered it and that just goes to show what those bodies are prepared to do and we have to be ready to do likewise.

was definately a good read, and hopefully they will mean what they say. but i cant help but look at this quote and think "who at the SPL/SFA would stand up for us at the 11th hour to stop us getting points deducted..." obviously talking about the feynoord riots... which is infinitely worse than anything we'v done in the past, but i fear, as has happened many times throughout our history, we could be the guinea pigs... :(

I find the whole thing a semantic minefield.

Supposing for example Celtic sing about PLG being a "sad orange bastard". How is that discrimination against his race (gaulish?), colour (white), religion (none really and catholic at a stretch), language (French) or country of origin (France)?

In fact calling Rangers fans "Dirty Orange Bastards" is not that discriminating when so few (percentage wise) at Ibrox are actually in the Orange Order which itself is not a race, colour or religion.

The same goes for "fen1an bastards" as I'd be surprised if there are any Fen1ans in the Celtic crowd (or the fans of whatever team we're playing) and again it's not a religion, race or colour.

"Soon there will be no protestants at all" is probably pretty prophetic as so few people go to church these days, least of all football fans.

Not many people in the Rangers crowd can genuinely call themselves Protestants although many seem to think they are something called "Prods" which is more of a cult than a religion.

Aberdeen's disgusting chants about the Ibrox disaster don't fall into the category either.

So what exactly falls into the new rules?