Who ?

Guest Chelios

I'm reluctantly coming round to the 'Ally must go' camp. As I think Cammy F. said he's a legend but not as a manager. Could we make him director of football? Because it would break my heart to see him walk away with no ties to the club. He was the one after all who stayed while others walked in our darkest hour.

If we were to get someone else in then they must have no or very little connections to the club as they will bring in fresh ideas.

However nothing will change, Ally wont resign and the board wont sack him unless there is not promotion and if that happens it would be a catastrophic error if we didn't get promoted.

If God forbid we failed to get promotion then AM for sure would probably go, maybe resign. I agree that it would be good if we someone in who take a new broom approach, but I just don't want Ally punted away like Jock Wallace.

Ally is good when selling the club in a spokesperson capacity, however if he were to leave it depends who is there if he wants to stick around after leaving. Most people would not stick around if they got sacked etc

5 years? What on earth do you base that on? There's plenty managers who could come in and get the current squad playing decent stuff tomorrow.

Nobody is expecting total football, just a basic game played correctly on the deck. Pass and move. Simple.

5 years is based on the minimum time it would take to see the first benefits of a properly constructed and properly coached development path from kids through youths to first team, where each level is taught the skills and that part of the philosophy appropriate to their age. Realistically, If we got it right first time round, we'd be looking at the first stream of talent arriving at about a decade after the programme started.

Advocaat showed us that you can put a cracking team on the park, which plays exciting and attractive football within a season or less; but to have the players capable of producing that football costs lots and lots of money. If you want a long term philosophy, that takes time and hard work and patience, because you're dealing with the development of youngsters.

I think our support has to get their head around something here. We have neither the resources to provide a team that has the skills of an Advocaat team, nor the patience to rear a youth team to maturity. Yesterday we seen last year's team, which is composed of the youth available to us and the flotsam that was speedily acquired before the sanctions cut in. When you have no starters and no one to replace poor performers, how do you win? We watched this team make chances but poor finishing, especially by Little along with a complete nonentity like Black, along with horrendous defence from McCulloch kill the game for us. McCoist used his young substitutes to try and refresh the 'engine room' to attempt to keep pressure on their defence. Even then chances came but we could not finish them. What coach could do anything with that? With Regan's embargo still in effect we need to accept that we cannot buy, or coach, a good team from dross. It doesn't mean we can't improve in the future but for now we are stuck with this.