You and I are in the same camp on that one, 54+; people forget all too easily that we had the privilege top watch some of the best players in the world in a royal blue jersey and were one goal away from the Champions League Final; but realistically the answer to your question is - probably not in our lifetimes.

Don't think anyone wouldn't have enjoyed this era - just that there is no doubting that we are feeling the true financial implications of this era now.

Serious question that is not easy to answer (well it is for me!) - would you swap all that knowing that we would be liquidated and thrown into the bottom tier of Scottish Football and stilll uncertain of our long time future for not winning 9IAR, European Runs, Gazza, Laudrup et al and still being solvent? I know would (hope ive worded that correctly!).

Cammy F

Don't think that I stated that Green saved the club, just pointed out that he put his (or someone elses) money where his month was whilst others hummed and hawed....

As for sticking up for the club I was alluding to him challanging the illeagal signing ban, refusing to give up any of our titles etc. It is my opinion that if SDM of the likes had still been in charge that they would have continued down the 'dignified silence' route and allowed us to be shafted even more than we have been.

I realise the the whole Green subject is very emotive, I just believe that NO ONE has shown that they deserve to be the custodian of our club, well not that I have seen anyway.

Cammy F

I didn't say you stated he saved the club & didn't intend to put words in your mouth Cammy, I just meant that the common defenses of Green & co are that either they 'saved' the club or 'stuck up' for it, when I don't see it that way at all. I should have been clearer!

My own opinion is that there was more playing to the gallery and grandstanding from Green in the press & media than actual hard talk and tangible results in the important meetings with the governing bodies. I think the extent to which the club was wrongfully punished actually speak volumes about how well his smart ass patter via sarcasm & snide digs in the media actually transferred to benefits for the club. I would also contend that were it not for guys like Ally McCoist & Andrew Dickson attending the important meetings along with Green last year, that things might have been very very different indeed because there's NO WAY those guys were going to accept title stripping.

He certainly won over the hearts and minds of a LOT of fans with his antics in the media though, I'll give him that much. He's also (remarkably) still got a fair old chunk of followers in our support to this day, even after everything that's transpired over the past year including dafter moonbeams than SDM's, broken promises, down right lies and all sorts of embarrassing nonsense which is all well below the acceptable standards at this club.

I agree with your final point about nobody being 'deserving' to be the club's custodian and I would add that even the fans (collectively) maybe don't deserve it either given the divisions, in-fighting and lack of cohesive leadership and organisation. It must be said though, that even with the faults in the fanbase, both on and offline, if anyone deserves a massive say in how the club is run, it's the fans because the fans are the ones who've kept Rangers alive.