I understand it was Ladbrokes that revealed his betting patterns but why & how?

Why did they decide that Black was the player who they would reveal details of & why only him, surely most of the footballing fraternity has done this too.

How were they able to reveal it, if they have linked him to his better patterns then it could only be via an online account, therefore, surely, Data Protection Act comes into play which means Ladbrokes have violated this & that's a very serious offence.

Look at post #103, sub-para 17.3. Why they chose only him you would need to ask Lunney.

Why did they decide that Black was the player who they would reveal details of & why only him, surely most of the footballing fraternity has done this too.

How were they able to reveal it, if they have linked him to his better patterns then it could only be via an online account, therefore, surely, Data Protection Act comes into play which means Ladbrokes have violated this & that's a very serious offence.

He could have just walked into a bookies :bouncy2:

read some where that the sfa have a mechanism in place so bookmakers can report players for betting on football matches. if this is the case, why did the bookmaker wait so long and allow Black to make so many bets before reporting him? there were 140 odd bets placed over the last eight years or so.

answers on a postcard Mr Reagan!

read some where that the sfa have a mechanism in place so bookmakers can report players for betting on football matches. if this is the case, why did the bookmaker wait so long and allow Black to make so many bets before reporting him? there were 140 odd bets placed over the last eight years or so.

answers on a postcard Mr Reagan!

I don't know how long the SFA have had the system in place but the new UEFA Rules only came in, in March, see#117.

It was supposedly betting via his telephone account which triggered the attention of someone in Ladbrokes system. Since their call centres are apparently down south, then he would need to be particularly unlucky to have been caught red handed by a Jungle Jim. It's not out of the question though because otherwise, how else would someone down there know who Ian Black actually is? I suppose it's possible that Ladbrokes have been investigating him for a good while.

It was supposedly betting via his telephone account which triggered the attention of someone in Ladbrokes system. Since their call centres are apparently down south, then he would need to be particularly unlucky to have been caught red handed by a Jungle Jim. It's not out of the question though because otherwise, how else would someone down there know who Ian Black actually is? I suppose it's possible that Ladbrokes have been investigating him for a good while.

Zappa,

This is not a hard scenario to imagine. An operation like Ladbrokes would have powerful trending software with innumerable triggers which could cross-reference any clients betting habits. I would not like to speculate on why they would raise the alarm on Mr. Black, a client is a client after all. However, looking at it from the point of view of the SFA the speculation is greatly narrowed. Supposing someone informed Mr. Lunny of their suspicions about Mr. Black, and he in turn requested the betting history of Mr. Black from Ladbrokes.

How difficult would it then be for his staff to cross-reference team sheets with actual bets placed?

Why was Mr. Black chosen?

Well, I can remember asking myself a question some time ago - ' Why did HMRC decide to investigate Rangers about their use of EBTs when there was a considerable number of teams in the English Premiership who were also using EBTs, and who could more better afford to pay back taxes to HMRC? '

I know guys who have accounts for betting over the phone,as do a lot of people including Ian Black,if all professional footballers know they are not allowed to bet on matches then why did he not use a mate to place bets?,or not bet at all on football matches?.

Zappa,

This is not a hard scenario to imagine. An operation like Ladbrokes would have powerful trending software with innumerable triggers which could cross-reference any clients betting habits. I would not like to speculate on why they would raise the alarm on Mr. Black, a client is a client after all. However, looking at it from the point of view of the SFA the speculation is greatly narrowed. Supposing someone informed Mr. Lunny of their suspicions about Mr. Black, and he in turn requested the betting history of Mr. Black from Ladbrokes.

How difficult would it then be for his staff to cross-reference team sheets with actual bets placed?

Why was Mr. Black chosen?

Well, I can remember asking myself a question some time ago - ' Why did HMRC decide to investigate Rangers about their use of EBTs when there was a considerable number of teams in the English Premiership who were also using EBTs, and who could more better afford to pay back taxes to HMRC? '

HMRC chose to investigate Rangers EBTs because a former labour cabinet minister(now in the lords) used his contacts within that organisation to do so thus making the club unsellable(until you know who came along). He also got his bhoys at LBG to do their bit to financially cripple Rangers despite the fact the bank debt was reducing year on year

Zappa,

That's just not true.

The Daily Telegraph revealed in February 2012 that, "according to HMRC sources, up to eight Premier League clubs have been scrutinised for the same issue facing Rangers, the use of Employee Benefit Trusts."

"Under new legislation, companies with disputed EBT issues had to settle them by Dec 31. Arsenal are one club that historically used EBTs to pay some players but they are understood to have resolved any issues with HMRC. "

Rangers decided to contest the case, that's the difference.