Noticed from piccies in the paper that Ceptic didn't have Magners as their shirt sponsor - it was Tipperary Mineral water. Anyone know why???

Kazakhstan don't allow 'booze' advertisements - Tipperary are owned by the same parent company as Magners.

Btw, I watched that game yesterday, the scum had about 70% possession and struggled to get past their defence. Shakhter played as if they were away from home with one up front and hitting on the break, that's the way they play all their games. timmy will lose at least 1 goal in the 2nd leg because their defence struggled to cope with them and they won't put 4 past them either. No CL for tlb this season.

Noticed from piccies in the paper that Ceptic didn't have Magners as their shirt sponsor - it was Tipperary Mineral water. Anyone know why???

Are alcohol advertising not banned in Europe? I am sure we had to wear Centre Parcs one year and had to leave it off completely another.

If we're not to be completely left behind for a decade or more we have to to hope that Celtic are put out on Wednesday. The cost of this will be to the coefficient but we can't afford to think for the greater good anymore. We have battles to overcome closer to home first.

With decent investment and a bit of luck we can be back competing with the tims at the first time of asking and can carry that momentum through to the CL should we qualify. The gap can be closed or at very least shortened. Another group stage this season for them would put another £10m-£12m between us to add to the £30m-£40m they have in the biscuit tin just now.

Come on the Kazakhs!

If we're not to be completely left behind for a decade or more we have to to hope that Celtic are put out on Wednesday. The cost of this will be to the coefficient but we can't afford to think for the greater good anymore. We have battles to overcome closer to home first.

With decent investment and a bit of luck we can be back competing with the tims at the first time of asking and can carry that momentum through to the CL should we qualify. The gap can be closed or at very least shortened. Another group stage this season for them would put another £10m-£12m between us to add to the £30m-£40m they have in the biscuit tin just now.

Come on the Kazakhs!

This is a very tough shout, my new friend; and I know full well where most Rangers fans stand on this issue.

BUT, the problem is that unless A Scottish team or two start putting up some points for the coefficent (and barring a Scottish Cup win and early accounts next season, which seems an unlikley combination) we are going to be somewhere around 25th - 30th in the country rankings by the time we get back in, in 2016/17, so if we win the SPFLP in 2015/16 we would start in CLQ3 (as Celtic this year) and if 2nd or 3rd in the SPFLP quite possibly the ELQ4, which would mean four ties starting early July even to get to the group stages and trips to places like Kazakhstan in the Q1, which as Celtic found out are by no means a given.

For the avoidance of doubt and debate I am not saying that I would like to see Celtic pile up all that cash (and here note that with their high wage bill it is certainly not all profit) just pointing out the harsh realities of NO Scottish team getting beyond the qualifiers.

Ideally the other 3 would all qualify and Celtic get gubbed but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

Another group stage this season for them would put another £10m-£12m between us

It's a lot more than that mate. The last time we were in the CL group stage it was reported to be worth close to £17m to us, so it'll be worth closer to £20m now I would have thought. The figures obviously aren't accurate, but as I said earlier, 3 years of CL group stages would be worth approx' £60m to them which would leave us trailing them financially for a long time.

It's a lot more than that mate. The last time we were in the CL group stage it was reported to be worth close to £17m to us, so it'll be worth closer to £20m now I would have thought. The figures obviously aren't accurate, but as I said earlier, 3 years of CL group stages would be worth approx' £60m to them which would leave us trailing them financially for a long time.

Wouldn't argue with the CL income, Zappa; but given they have a squad of around 30 first team players and a wage bill commensurate, how much of that is actually profit? Also bear in mind their average attendance SPL is down 10,000+ over the last two or three seasons and only 1,000 more than us last season and we would have had a fraction of their wage bill.

Celtic’s Champions League qualifying opponents Shakhter Karagandy are in hot water with animal rights group Peta after sacrificing a sheep before the first leg of their clash last week.

Neil Lennon’s side lost the match 2-0 against the little-known Kazakhstan outfit, with the 4000-mile round trip being blamed for fatiguing players before kick-off.

However, Karagandy believe their win was aided by their infamous ritual of sheep sacrificing, with their boss Viktor Kumykov overseeing the throat-slitting on the pitch ahead of the match.

Peta, the animal rights group, have expressed their outrage, however, in a strongly-worded letter to Uefa urging Michel Platini to punish Karagandy.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/24/animal-rights-group-complain-to-uefa-after-shakhter-karagandy-sacrifice-sheep-before-celtic-match-3936391/

Wouldn't argue with the CL income, Zappa; but given they have a squad of around 30 first team players and a wage bill commensurate, how much of that is actually profit?

That's a fair point. It's obviously not as though their CL group stage income will all be profit, but regarding their players, they do seem to have a habit of selling players for more than they paid or at least certainly not losing vast sums of money on them.