Unbelievable.

“The board felt that they were not successfully articulating their defence against the vicious and , at times underhand, attacks of Jim McColl, Frank Blin and Paul Murray. The board also felt that there are huge public misconceptions about the financial realities of the club and once again this was a failure of communication.

“Interestingly I have known Jim, Frank and Paul for many, many years and have a huge respect for their abilities in their individual fields. Unfortunately I believe they have now stepped out of their comfort zones and are going to find that the everyday rules of business do not apply in the world of football and the media scrutiny they now face is like nothing they will ever have known in their professional lives. I, and many other observers, are also staggered at the arrogance of men who have invested nothing in the club yet feel they can dictate to directors who have sunk substantial sums into the venture. I am also reminded that some of these individuals had the chance to buy the club for a modest sum yet were repeatedly found wanting. Since then they have done little but damage the club they claim to love. That is reprehensible behaviour and needs to be recognised as such.”

http://billmcmurdo.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/for-the-avoidance-of-doubt/

If this is true, the shortsightedness of our board will be exposed big time. Where does this decision leave Jim Traynor? A few days ago, they were going on about saving costs and now they are rehiring someone to communicate on their behalf when they

already have a Director of Communication on their payroll.

Incredible people!

It's very simple, if the shareholders think the current board are doing a good job, they'll carry the day at the AGM / GM. If not they'll be out. Wasting money on PR briefings against other Rangers people isn't going to help them one iota.

You don't need PR plans to put right any misconceptions, you need directors who provide transparency.

Underestimate Irvine at your peril. There's a constituency out there who are suspicious of McColl, have never heard of Blin and actively dislike Murray, you don't need to venture far online to find them either. Add to that if the side is winning handsomely that also alleviates a certain pressure and scrutiny from a section of the support. Irvine and the board know this and they've got over a month now to swing a few influential people their way. This fight isn't done, indeed it's really just begun.

For The Avoidance Of Doubt

Posted on August 24, 2013 by billmcmurdo

The above words appeared as the title of a media statement by Jim Traynor on the official Rangers website recently.

The last sentence of this statement read: “Finally, Jack Irvine of Media House does not speak for this Club.”

I will bet that these are words JT wishes he had kept out of his release.

Because he certainly cannot say them now.

The good news is that Jack’s back.

Jack Irvine has been retained by the board of Rangers Football Club in their battle to maintain control of the club against the attempted coup by Messrs McColl, Murray and Blin.

The McColl group have been vocal in their determination to oust three Rangers directors and replace them with McColl’s own place men. Their attempt to effectively get control of Rangers without on the cheap has angered many fans.

It will be good to see a robust PR defence of the present Rangers regime if only to counter the skewered accounts in media outlets that are hostile to Rangers.

The use of the Daily Record by the McColl group – a notoriously anti-Rangers paper despite protestations by Keith Jackson – has left many bluenoses cynical, particularly when the McColl coup has tried to paint itself as speaking for the fans.

When I first voiced my own opposition to Jim McColl based on his pro-Independence stance, I was pilloried by many, yet I see more and more Rangers fans are now saying the same thing. McColl’s politics DO matter and it is extremely disingenuous to suggest otherwise. They matter enough for him to use his position to beat the drum for Scotland’s separation from the UK so his very public stance on the matter invites scrutiny.

And it is perfectly reasonable to ask why Mr McColl is so interested in a club that is world-famous for its Unionist ethos, especially when that interest was not evident among work colleagues who knew him as a younger man.

Apparently Jim McColl contacted Craig Mather to tell him that he was misquoted in yesterday’s Daily Record concerning the intransigence of the McColl coup’s attitude to Mather’s job. Now we are led to believe that the nail on which the Rangers CEO’s jacket hangs might not be so shoogly after all.

Quite frankly, Mather doesn’t need that crap and neither do the Rangers support.

At a time when the team finally looks to be firing on all cylinders and everybody at Rangers needs to pull together, the destabilising antics of Magnum McColl and Mini Murray are as welcome as toothache.

The present Rangers board should be given time to prove their worth. That is my position and I know more and more are saying the same.

The club just doesn’t need the upset that the McColl group is bringing at this present moment.

Many are making wild speculations about the financial situation at Ibrox but we really won’t know till accounts are published. It’s interesting that Kieran Prior seems satisfied that Mather and Stockbridge are doing a good job.

I have no doubt that the accounts will be pored over and people will find stuff in there that they don’t like. Or rather, stuff that backs up their agenda.

But the accounts may also show that the club is being run prudently and is in rude health financially. This, of course, will not suit those who have a blind hatred of the current regime.

The good news is that lies, smears and agenda-driven propaganda that undermine the Rangers board and thus the club will now be countered in the media.

For the avoidance of doubt – Jack’s back.

And he does speak for the club.

Blog now updated with statement from Irvine

Here is a statement from Jack Irvine on his appointment by the board:

“The board felt that they were not successfully articulating their defence against the vicious and , at times underhand, attacks of Jim McColl, Frank Blin and Paul Murray. The board also felt that there are huge public misconceptions about the financial realities of the club and once again this was a failure of communication.

“Interestingly I have known Jim, Frank and Paul for many, many years and have a huge respect for their abilities in their individual fields. Unfortunately I believe they have now stepped out of their comfort zones and are going to find that the everyday rules of business do not apply in the world of football and the media scrutiny they now face is like nothing they will ever have known in their professional lives. I, and many other observers, are also staggered at the arrogance of men who have invested nothing in the club yet feel they can dictate to directors who have sunk substantial sums into the venture. I am also reminded that some of these individuals had to chance to buy the club for a modest sum yet were repeatedly found wanting. Since then they have done little but damage the club they claim to love. That is reprehensible behaviour and needs to be recognised as such.”