The lunatics have taken over the asylum

cottish Football - Irvine's warning in Rangers battle

The battle for control of the Ibrox boardroom has taken a new twist after Rangers chief executive Craig Mather hired PR guru Jack Irvine to launch a fightback against the investors seeking to oust him - just a week after the club released a statement claiming he did not speak for them.

The Media House spokesman signed a one-year agreement with Mather ahead of Friday night's Scottish League One meeting with Airdrie.

He has been brought in to fight off attempts by Clyde Blowers chairman Jim McColl to have Mather, Brian Stockbridge and Bryan Smart removed from the board.

Billonaire businessman McColl wants to replace them with former Blue Knight Paul Murray and ex-PricewaterhouseCoopers accountancy expert Frank Blin.

The development comes seven days after the club issued a statement entitled "For the Avoidance of Doubt" which went on to state: "Finally, Jack Irvine of Media House does not speak for this club."

A club insider has told Press Association Sport that Irvine is prepared to "go to war" with McColl's faction.

In a statement issued to Press Association Sport, Irvine - who already represents club investors Sandy and James Easdale - warned McColl and his partners that he would expose their "reprehensible behaviour" of the past few weeks.

He claimed: "The board felt that they were not successfully articulating their defence against the vicious and at times underhand attacks of Jim McColl, Frank Blin and Paul Murray.

"The board also felt that there are huge public misconceptions about the financial realities of the club and once again this was a failure of communication.

"Interestingly I have known Jim, Frank and Paul for many, many years and have a huge respect for their abilities in their individual fields.

"Unfortunately I believe they have now stepped out of their comfort zones and are going to find that the everyday rules of business do not apply in the world of football and the media scrutiny they now face is like nothing they will ever have known in their professional lives.

"I, and many other observers, are also staggered at the arrogance of men who have invested nothing in the club yet feel they can dictate to directors who have sunk substantial sums into the venture. I am also reminded that some of these individuals had the chance to buy the club for a modest sum yet were repeatedly found wanting.

"Since then they have done little but damage the club they claim to love. That is reprehensible behaviour and needs to be recognised as such."

Rangers announced on Thursday that an extraordinary general meeting demanded by McColl to discuss the removal of Mather, Stockbridge and Smart had been averted and that the motion would be considered at their annual general meeting, set to be held some time in October.

Press Association Sport contacted Rangers and McColl for a response.

Jim Traynor, the club's head of communications, admitted Irvine's appointment was a surprise to him.

He said: "I have not spoken to Jack Irvine and I have not had any dealings with him. As far as I'm concerned that is the way it will stay."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-irvines-warning-rangers-battle-150616224.html

a one year deal ffs. now they are just giving their pals cash before they get ousted.

if they don't go soon we may never recover from them.

If there was anyone in doubt that Green's hand is up Mather's arse and is working him then surely that doubt has vanished.

I think Jim McColl's desire to stay out of the spotlight is about to be tested. Irvine can arrange some serious tabloid scrutiny of his life and family which he might not enjoy.

I can see a constructive dismissal case from Traynor soon too.

There was much gnashing of teeth during the reign of the last two chairmen (I don't count Whyte in there), but credit crunch/MIH monetary troubles aside, it was tranquillity personified up there. At least compared to nowadays.

Right now, none of the placeholders nor any of the pretenders clad themselves in any sort of glory. Why would there be a "fightback" from those opposing McCollCo? Where would that "fightback" be? What is he about to tell us that we don't know?

Either these people talk like men to one another, or they keep their mouths shut, rather than blurting about like some French fishwifes.

I think Jim McColl's desire to stay out of the spotlight is about to be tested. Irvine can arrange some serious tabloid scrutiny of his life and family which he might not enjoy.

I can see a constructive dismissal case from Traynor soon too.

Why was he not defending us from the mhedia whilst we were paying him for the last few years then?