I do remember raising exactly that point at the next AGM and if memory serves me that was when he made the comment about the fans not being able to run the club, I think the debt at that time was around £65M and he said it would be £265M under the fans, but I could be wrong.

Nonetheless, you don't get to hold the positions he has and do high level reports for the Government unless you are held in high esteem in those circles.

He may not be a financial controller but I think he is a bit of a politician and may be the kind of man we need to heal the wounds in the Boardroom until a younger candidate emerges.

remember also that when PLG became manager the debt had fallen to £6m. Unfortunately thereafter far too much money got wasted & HBOS got taken over by LBG and the 2 bhoys running its Scottish business division did their best to make things as difficult as possible for us to compete against their club

One other thing about John McClelland if I may.

He served on at least one if not two UEFA Committees, I think it may have been the competitions or stadium committee or something like that and may have been Chair of Vice Chair of one of them. The point I am making is that he is a well known and respected figure in European Football as well as Government and business circles here.

As and when we are applying for a licence to play in Europe again (probably on an Extraordinary basis, see thread on that subject) it will do us absolutely no harm at all and may well stand very much in our favour to have a man like McClelland at the helm. If John McClelland is the Chair they must be OK (or at least worth giving serious consideration) . He could easily do with a few phone calls what a mountain of accounting paper may not.

This whole thing has left me uber-cynical.

Now, whenever someone gets a character assassination job in a thread, I find myself wondering who the OP is working for.

Probably most unfair but it sums up the whole Stalinist mood of denunciation and intrigue going on right now.

McClelland, while chairman, told the AGM that the directors would not let the club's debt go above a certain level (£40m IIRC). It was over that level within 12 months. He lied, he was weak and didn't see the need to resign. I'd rather not have him as chairman again.

Pesky facts.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Nonetheless, you don't get to hold the positions he has and do high level reports for the Government unless you are held in high esteem in those circles.

I never agree with this reasoning. When McLeish was being hounded I heard similar logic used. 'The guy obviously knows a lot more than we do'. I begged to differ and he's been found out again and again.

There are plenty people in high places who are grossly incompetent.

This whole thing has left me uber-cynical.

Now, whenever someone gets a character assassination job in a thread, I find myself wondering who the OP is working for.

Probably most unfair but it sums up the whole Stalinist mood of denunciation and intrigue going on right now.

I hoped my douche and turd analogy would set this one straight.

I think they're all a bunch of chancers and I hate the lot of them.