Rangers - A Club More Disliked Than Any In Britain

Noticed this in a Terry Butcher article:

When Butcher first arrived in Scotland in 1986 to play for Rangers it was at the grasping height of Thatcherism and an accompanying wave of anti-Englishness – four years later even Scotland's middle classes folded up the tartan travelling rugs to stand up and boo the National Anthem at Murrayfield. Butcher played for Rangers, the "loyalist" club, a club that outside its support is disliked more strongly within its national locality than any in Britain. He ticked the boxes of reasons to be detested (in that, as Donald Rumsfeld might put it, rational irrationality of the football fan).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-last-word-terry-butcher-the-archetypal-englishman-is-making-waves-by-the-tip-of-loch-ness-8792453.html

Noticed this in a Terry Butcher article:

When Butcher first arrived in Scotland in 1986 to play for Rangers it was at the grasping height of Thatcherism and an accompanying wave of anti-Englishness – four years later even Scotland's middle classes folded up the tartan travelling rugs to stand up and boo the National Anthem at Murrayfield. Butcher played for Rangers, the "loyalist" club, a club that outside its support is disliked more strongly within its national locality than any in Britain. He ticked the boxes of reasons to be detested (in that, as Donald Rumsfeld might put it, rational irrationality of the football fan).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-last-word-terry-butcher-the-archetypal-englishman-is-making-waves-by-the-tip-of-loch-ness-8792453.html

I wonder where they got that particular "fact" from?

I wasn't born until 1987 so didn't see any of the Souness revolution but that must have been one of the most exciting times to be a Rangers fan.

I was born in 86 so I missed it too. The only thing that compares in our lifetime was the beginning of the Advocaat era.

I wasn't born until 1987 so didn't see any of the Souness revolution but that must have been one of the most exciting times to be a Rangers fan.

It was. Seeing Woods and Butcher of the English national team coming to Scotland was really great stuff. Somehow one knew that challenging for a UEFA-Cup slot or a League Cup at best might be a thing of the past.

It was. Seeing Woods and Butcher of the English national team coming to Scotland was really great stuff. Somehow one knew that challenging for a UEFA-Cup slot or a League Cup at best might be a thing of the past.

It was a nightmare as well.

Up till then I had always wanted England to get beat.

Didn't know what to do !!!!!:laugh2: