Right hear me out....

I know the title seems a little out there and yes many will disagree however having spent the weekend reading about Celtics European "adventure" and the money that will be coming into the club.

It is becoming evident that we as a club need a man who is willing to invest his own money to allow us to compete financially once we get back to the top flight.

Dave King has been quoted numerous times saying he is willing to invest in the club without looking for a financial gain.

Will we see him make him move over the next few weeks?

To be honest, while I'd agree that we do need as many reputable investors as possible (is King wholly reputable?) I'd much prefer the club was self-sustainable rather than run by a rich benefactor.

What I had hoped for most through this farce was the club genuinely being able to start from scratch in a business and strategy sense - minimising costs and implementing innovative ways of bringing in money. I really hoped that the IPO money would provide the platform to do this but it's difficult to tell if this has happened to any great degree.

The club needs to have the infrastructure to stand on its own two feet and while that takes a lot of initial investment, once the structure is in place (and the right people) then we should have the annual resources to take the club forward.

It may be that King provides the investment to do this but it's how he (and we) protect such an investment that is just as important.

To be honest, while I'd agree that we do need as many reputable investors as possible (is King wholly reputable?) I'd much prefer the club was self-sustainable rather than run by a rich benefactor.

What I had hoped for most through this farce was the club genuinely being able to start from scratch in a business and strategy sense - minimising costs and implementing innovative ways of bringing in money. I really hoped that the IPO money would provide the platform to do this but it's difficult to tell if this has happened to any great degree.

The club needs to have the infrastructure to stand on its own two feet and while that takes a lot of initial investment, once the structure is in place (and the right people) then we should have the annual resources to take the club forward.

It may be that King provides the investment to do this but it's how he (and we) protect such an investment that is just as important.

I fully agree with the club needs to be self-sustainable in the long term, but the fact is, as we climb through the lower leagues of Scottish football - Celtic are filling their boots with the Champions League cash. If we are to mount a serious challenge at getting back to the top of the pile we will need a little bit cash in the bank and King is the man to provide that.

As for him being reputable - I would say that all businessmen come with a certain ruthlessness and its appropriate baggage - but one cannot doubt his love for the club.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

I fully agree with the club needs to be self-sustainable in the long term, but the fact is, as we climb through the lower leagues of Scottish football - Celtic are filling their boots with the Champions League cash. If we are to mount a serious challenge at getting back to the top of the pile we will need a little bit cash in the bank and King is the man to provide that.

As for him being reputable - I would say that all businessmen come with a certain ruthlessness and its appropriate baggage - but one cannot doubt his love for the club.

I was thinking about this the other day, its likely celtic will have made roughly 80-90 million in CL money alone by the time we get back to the top league.... and considering they break even more or less without that money this is pretty much all cash in the bank.

Now i'm not saying it will cost 80million to compete with them but its going to cost a fucking massive wedge anyway....i really dont think we have a supporter who can or will plough that sort of cash into the club. And although the thought of it is bloody grim i would much rather be self sustaining and just trying to our best to compete with the resources we have than have to go cap in hand to someone to pump in cash. and to be frank look where that got us in the end with Murray..

I was thinking about this the other day, its likely celtic will have made roughly 80-90 million in CL money alone by the time we get back to the top league.... and considering they break even more or less without that money this is pretty much all cash in the bank.

I don't think it'll be anywhere near 80-90 million. Even if they manage to get into the CL group stages again next season and the following season it should average out at about £20m per season (MAX) in extra revenue for them which would give them £60m for this season and a further 2 seasons of CL group stage participation, but it won't all be clear profit by any means, so the £50m to £60m they bring in might only equate to £30m to £40m in profit or something along those lines.

I don't think it'll be anywhere near 80-90 million. Even if they manage to get into the CL group stages again next season and the following season it should average out at about £20m per season (MAX) in extra revenue for them which would give them £60m for this season and a further 2 seasons of CL group stage participation, but it won't all be clear profit by any means, so the £50m to £60m they bring in might only equate to £30m to £40m in profit or something along those lines.

Celtic need the CL money just to almost break even. Their operating costs are well over £54m

Celtic need the CL money just to almost break even. Their operating costs are well over £54m

Hmm I would like to see the figures to back that up.

But with that being said - we are making a loss of around £1m a month and our wage bill is considerably lower and I am guessing that without CL football - Celtic would be making a monthly loss as well.

Hmm I would like to see the figures to back that up.

But with that being said - we are making a loss of around £1m a month and our wage bill is considerably lower and I am guessing that without CL football - Celtic would be making a monthly loss as well.

Methinks that "1m a month loss" thing has been explained as being "wrong", even though you'd need to see the accounts to verify it. It was only during a short period of time that this took place, it was said.

Anyway, Scum FC sneaked into this season's CL against low-key opposition. They got a tough group and I for one hope that they will not gain that much money from their points total. At least not going by their current form. They have a knack of making good money from selling players, which kept them together while we were at the top. It really remains to be seen how much they needed last season's CL run to keep going, and even more so now, as the reality of us not being there has fully set in. Aside from their squad size, they also have to make sure that their stadium is up to scratch et al, whatever that means.

As for King ... while we are vulnerable, I wouldn't mind having him as a source of financial backing in the background (dare I say it: similar to a Desmond). While the current boardroom carneval is probably not a mirror of what happens in other companies, due to the "recent" takeover and constant changes), you would hope that a King would look for stability and clarity up there while cleaning out the leeches and money-grabbers. I can't tell though whether King is someone who at one point would share his power with other people. A "grey eminence" sort of chap, who's got a huge, but not the final say about the "real" matters of the company.

I seem to recall them having operating expenses of £40m and so making a pre tax profit of £14m on the back their CL run, and reducing their debt to £0.13m.

That seems to have helped them enormously although it's more easily sustainable when you have no domestic challenge and I'm sure season tickets and match day tickets will be down this year as well as TV income and sponsorship.

The strange bit for me with regards to Rangers is that how come their operating expenses are £40m and ours are reputed to be £36m with a much smaller wage bill which should make more than £4m difference alone? I would have expected our operating expenses to be more in the mid to high 20s and Celtic's seem to confirm my thinking.