The thing about WGS in comparison to the two previous incumbents is that he at least seems to understand the basics of football and transmit that to the players.

He's also prepared to identify where things can improve, and isn't too stubborn to recognise that the likes of Wallace is capable of performing at that level.

The thing about WGS in comparison to the two previous incumbents is that he at least seems to understand the basics of football and transmit that to the players.

He'll be judged by results starting from September next year for Euro2016. All games between now & then are relatively meaningless. Progress will be only when Scotland actually qualify for an EC or WC finals

He'll be judged by results starting from September next year for Euro2016. All games between now & then are relatively meaningless. Progress will be only when Scotland actually qualify for an EC or WC finals

Long term progress, yes. But, as with every football manager, he'll be judged game by game. He's made an encouraging start but I don't think anyone is getting too carried away just yet.

The more you look back at it, giving Levein the job was just crazy. I think it was Gordon Smith who has to carry the can for that one, though I'll be happy to blame Regan given half a chance.

I mean, Levein's c.v read like a check list of danger signals:

No major club experience

No surprising Cup success at a smaller club

Feeble attempt at managing in England

History of greeting in public when his team lost

Inability to shave or dress as befits a man in his late 40's

Worrying east coast accent, eh

Add to that minor data like being unable to organise a defence, enable his team to pass to each other or possess a backbone (cf: Lee Wallace) and his appointment remains a mystery, unlike his subsequent disappearance into the footballing void.

You'd feel he's more likely to feature against Macedonia than Belgium, but It'd be interesting to see if the Tartan Army have grown up yet should he appear at Hampden.
The response of the Scotland fans will be very interesting indeed. I'm not optimistic, although I'd settle for indifference as that would be progress compared to booing.

Wallace deserves his chance. His class is obvious.

I hope he gets the armband for us soon as I think he can become one of our greatest ever. He leads by example, a quality footballer.

Okay, i'm in a contrary mood. Seriously, playing in Division Three is no preparation for playing international football though, is it? I like Wallace, he's easily one of our best players and reaching his peak, but should he be getting picked for Scotland? I've no issue with the young players getting into the under 19s and under 21 sides but full internationals should be playing at as high a level as possible. I'm pleased for him but it doesn't say much for the quality of player available.

Interesting that outside the timmy players in the squad there are only TWO players representing the SPFL Premiership.

Who was it that said 'these exciting times' when speaking of the top SPFL division?

give me a clue. Was it dummy Doncaster?

Another worrying aspect is digging up players from the lower English leagues who are eligible thro' a distant Scottish relative. The question needs asked whether these players will be good enough to get 2nd place in a qualifying group and into playoffs(Scotland realistically won't win a group). I have my doubts I have to say.