Tom English: Lawwell’s SFA appointment causes stir

I posted this in the footie thread,however I think it has a place here as he says ''He’s in charge of the biggest and most successful club in the country''.

IF THERE was a Richter scale for Twitter then the news that Peter Lawwell had been appointed to the main board of the Scottish Football Association would have measured about a 5.5, the digital equivalent of a mighty earthquake.

When the news came through on Tuesday there was a sudden tremor online, a reverberation that could have only meant one thing. Something had happened in Old Firm land. Again.

There are very sound reasons why Lawwell should be on the SFA board. He’s in charge of the biggest and most successful club in the country. He’s run the finances of that club expertly. He has contacts and knowledge and experience.

If it was any other country in the world then there wouldn’t have been such a hubbub about his nomination.

The gist of the argument against it appears to be this: He’s Celtic and therefore anti-Rangers. He’ll have too much control. He’ll feather the nest of his own club and shaft the rest. Suspicion and conspiracy and poison, too, but not a lot in the way of commonsense.

On Twitter the other night we waited for something that went beyond the usual one-eyed hysteria, some level of criticism of the appointment that had any merit. Eventually, a point was made quietly. And it was an interesting point, whether you agreed with it or not. Is it right that Lawwell should sit on a board that exists to protect Scotland’s footballing interests when his own club have argued for so long that the sooner they leave Scotland the better?

That’s a legitimate talking point. Much of the rest of the reaction to Lawwell’s new role was depressingly predictable, though. After the online earthquake of Tuesday, the after-shocks will continue in cyberland for some time to come.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/tom-english-lawwell-s-sfa-appointment-causes-stir-1-3076647?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Historically who's won more honours - US OR THEM? answer that Mr English.

And where will they go if they leave Scottish football ? England ? don't make me laugh........ The English now know all about them & their vile anti-British support

Run the finances expertly ? only if you call one of their three companies being loaded with debt I suppose. They need CL football to have any chance of breaking even

maybe he'll use all these 'contacts and knowledge and expertise' to get his chum at the SPFL a sponsor. Or do successful businesses steer clear or sponsoring corrupt organisations run by people like Liewell ?

Another ridiculous article from a third rate journalist working for a declining newspaper who won't even produce their sales figures

Edited by RANGERRAB

He'll qualify this by saying Celtic have won the European Cup which in some people's eyes is an indication of more success than others. I'm not so sure but it can be argued that we're both right.

This is just another example of journalists baiting fans for a reaction. Best ignored.

I can only imagine the outcry from both the Celtic fans and the rest of the country if a direct rangers man was appointed to such a prominent position within the sfa. The reaction to Gordon Smith was bad enough! One would expect the two sets of old firm fans to cry out about the other, however from my limited experience and memory, would anyone even suggest that that there would be anything other than vehement opposition from the others if it were a Murray/Bain candidate?

I can only imagine the outcry from both the Celtic fans and the rest of the country if a direct rangers man was appointed to such a prominent position within the sfa. The reaction to Gordon Smith was bad enough! One would expect the two sets of old firm fans to cry out about the other, however from my limited experience and memory, would anyone even suggest that that there would be anything other than vehement opposition from the others if it were a Murray/Bain candidate?

At the end of the day, experience, profile and quality should be the main considerations.

In that respect, both the CEOs of Rangers and Celtic should be directly involved with the running of the game more often than not.