LEE WALLACE last night insisted former Hearts team-mate Marius Zaliukas would be a massive hit at Ibrox if he decides to join Rangers.

Light Blues left back Wallace played in the same Tynecastle back four as the Lithuanian, who is mulling over a contract offer from the League One leaders.

Zaliukas is back home in Lithuania and has not played since May when he left Hearts after seven successful years.

Gers boss Ally McCoist is keen to land the player as he builds a team designed to compete when Rangers get back to the top flight and Wallace believes Zaliukas fits that bill.

He said: “He’ll be great. I’ve obviously spoken to the manager a couple of times earlier in the season and Marius was in training last week. I caught him just at the end of the international break.

“The manager knew about him and we’ve spoken about him and I told him that I’ve played with him for a number of years at Hearts and he’s clocked up a big amount of appearances.

“We just had a brief chat and spoke about the experiences we had at Hearts.

“He’s got a wealth of experience in the SPL and has lifted the Scottish Cup. He’s a great centre half and he’s good in both boxes so we know his qualities. I’m not quite sure what’s going on behind the scenes but if he comes in he’ll certainly add strength to the team.

“He’ll be back home in Lithuania now thinking over the deal but hopefully I’ll see him soon.

“I’m a wee bit surprised he doesn’t have a club because he is a great player and had great qualities.

“He’s a top centre back and would add solidity to the team because he’s a powerful defender who is very dominant in the air. We’ll see what happens.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ibrox-star-lee-wallace-insists-2296408?

depends how much you pay them.

I've no doubt it would be less than their wage bill, but is this really the way we want the Club to be run. We are a basket case.

As if it's going to make us a better team anyway, Ally could have Messi etc. and we would still play players out of position.

For me the question should be, can we buy someone better for less money in the next 3 to 4 transfer windows? If not, there is no point paying a premium now for a "freebie" then need to spend loads on a new centre half.

I do worry that we've pushed the boat out on getting the freebies just because we could sign them now, and not necessarily because they were the best long term option. In saying that we could all see the team needed strengthened. Time will tell whether Ally was right or not!