Black gets a 10 match ban with 7 of them suspended

STV - 12 September 2013 00:01 BST

Rangers midfielder Ian Black will go before a Scottish Football Association committee on Thursday to answer accusations of betting against his own club on three occasions.

The former Inverness CT and Hearts player is accused of putting money on his team to not win matches between March 4, 2006 and July 28, 2013.

Black is also accused of betting on a further ten games in which the club he was playing for were involved in, as well as betting on a further 147 games not involving his team.

It is not known which specific fixtures he is accused of placing bets on which involved the clubs he was registered with.

The Scottish FA have stated that there is no evidence to suggest the player acted in a manner or influenced proceedings during a game which led to him making money.

STV understands the most recent match Black bet upon was Rangers' tie with Albion Rovers in the Ramsdens Cup on July 28, 2013. Rangers won the game 4-0.

It is also understood that the player's actions came to light through his use of a Ladbrokes phone account.

Footballers registered in Scotland are prohibited by the Scottish FA from betting on any football match.

If found guilty, players can be fined from £500 to £1,000,000 and can be either suspended or expelled from playing professional football.

They are also not allowed to "behave in a manner, during or in connection with a match in which the party has participated or has any influence, either direct or indirect, which could give rise to an event in which they or any third party benefits financially through betting".

The Scottish FA however have made clear there is "no evidence" to suggest Black has breached the second rule.

When the allegations were first made, a Rangers spokesperson said: "The club is aware of the SFA's notice of complaint and are currently investigating the matter."

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/239202-rangers-ian-black-to-go-before-sfa-committee-over-betting-claims/

So what do we think? Will he get hammered?

Well it is involving a Rangers player!,and everything that can be thrown at Rangers has been,or attempted!.You just don't know with this corrupt cabal what they will do?. They do need cash so a heavy fine and a few games ban is most probable.

It's going to come down to his word against theres, I doubt there are many witnesses to this. As Frankie says if he denies it was him and can prove someone close to him had access to his account I can't see him getting anything but a slap on the wrists or perhaps even vindicated.

Inside info Frankie?

No, just seems the most obvious defence.

I guess it will depend on what records Ladbrokes keep - e.g. do they keep all voice calls as evidence and are they permitted to release such information to bodies such as the SFA. If not, Blacky will just say it was my mate/brother that made the bets using his account, apologise for his lack of security and accept a fine/warning.

PS: Clearly I'm not allowing for any perceived SFA bad-feeling towards RFC in this possible solution. :whistle:

No, just seems the most obvious defence.

I guess it will depend on what records Ladbrokes keep - e.g. do they keep all voice calls as evidence and are they permitted to release such information to bodies such as the SFA. If not, Blacky will just say it was my mate/brother that made the bets using his account, apologise for his lack of security and accept a fine/warning.

PS: Clearly I'm not allowing for any perceived SFA bad-feeling towards RFC in this possible solution. :whistle:

That would be the most obvious defence, however I was just curious to whether you had heard anything as I was sure you mentioned you (or people you knew) knew of Black when he was at Hearts.