Barry Ferguson - Me and Le Guen and Pickled Onion Monster Munch

What about the training schedule Barry? We're you ok with that? And did you wise up before the Scotland booze scandal? no....

Regardless of how much we all want Rangers to win, he went against the manager who may have been building things...right or wrong, he should have respected his manager and he proved he couldn't. How is a new era going to be build when its fighting against an old one.

Sorry Barry, I don't buy it....we all want Rangers to win but not your style. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned John Brown, and we have all seen how embarrassing he is.

Imagine Frank Lampard coming out with something like this :facepalm:

Pickled Onion Crisps :nuts:

Edited by Gribz

There's absolutely no way the situation was as simple as this wee article makes out. Trying to suggest that such a complex situation with a whole series of events and unusual parameters boiled down to one dressing room tiff and a liking of monster munch is a fucking joke.

I've always thought PLG's biggest mistake when he came to Rangers was bringing in such a large staff of French. It was total overkill because they practically built a French colony at Murray Park with PLG, his assistants, coaches, medical and backroom staff. On top of that, he signed a whole bunch of French players to add to the ones already at the club and instantly created a large French contingent in the dressing rooms. After PLG left, between the January and Summer transfer windows Walter shipped out no fewer than NINE French players, which I think speaks volumes.

There's no doubt that it just didn't work out for PLG at Rangers. We can debate the reasons for this but in the near future I would like to see us go for a foreign manager(with a decent CV of course) with mostly scottish coaches & scottish backroom staff. Many of the top English clubs do this very successfully. Whether we like it or not Scottish football is not highly-regarded throughout Europe and I believe we would benefit from the ideas and know-how from elsewhere.

I am always leery when you hear just one side of the story. As the saying goes, there are always three sides to any dispute. What Barry says, what Le Guen says and the truth. We will probably never know the truth.

What we do know is that Le Guen was not prepared for the 'goldfish bowl' that is football in the West of Scotland, that he lost the fans and lost the dressing room. Murray chose to back the players and the fans. Was it a mistake? We will never know. But not long after we did make it to the UEFA Cup final and for that experience I will always be grateful.

weren't a few of said french played big ecks?

Yes, it's a bit strange looking back now because under Eck we signed 12 players in the summer of 2005 and 5 of them were French (Bernard, Rodriguez, N'Guessan, Fanfan & Hemdani).

When PLG arrived he brought in another 4 (Clement, Letizi, Stanger & Ponroy), but he released Bernard & Fanfan, so I got the figures mixed up a bit. :D

Anyway, when Walter took over from PLG in the January, he shipped out a whole bunch of the French players. Not as many as I thought, but enough for my point to still stand.

Clement, Letizi, Rodriguez, N'Guessan & Stanger all left, so Walter shipped out mainly French players that January, which is no coincidence and suggests he was breaking up the large French player contingent which had been formed.

IIRC, some of the French players weren't happy about what had just happened with PLG, so Walter probably had no choice in order to fix problems in the dressing room.

What we do know is that Le Guen was not prepared for the 'goldfish bowl' that is football in the West of Scotland, that he lost the fans and lost the dressing room. Murray chose to back the players and the fans. Was it a mistake? We will never know. But not long after we did make it to the UEFA Cup final and for that experience I will always be grateful.

We dont know Murray backed the players. Murray was reportedly prepared to back PLG if he wanted to stay but the manager didn't have the stomach for it. An equally plausible option imo.

Anyway, when Walter took over from PLG in the January, he shipped out a whole bunch of the French players. Not as many as I thought, but enough for my point to still stand.

Clement, Letizi, Rodriguez, N'Guessan & Stanger all left, so Walter shipped out mainly French players that January, which is no coincidence and suggests he was breaking up the large French player contingent which had been formed.

IIRC, some of the French players weren't happy about what had just happened with PLG, so Walter probably had no choice in order to fix problems in the dressing room.

Breaking up the french contingent or just getting rid of the dross in our squad.

Clement apart I wouldnt be unhappy to have seen them leave and Clement wasnt any better than Thomson.

Letizi was god damn fucking awful. Woods, Gorman, Klos, Charbonnier, Niemi, Wattereus, McGregor. Letizi is a joke compared to them. One of PLG's worst of numerous errors. Favouring a useless player over McGregor who would prove to be a far superior keeper.

Rodrigues wasnt the worst, but no great miss. The other two, who cares.

Clement indeed wanted to go as soon as his father figures did. About as much guts and stomach as his manager.

Maybe Walter was breaking up a french clique but i'm not convinced.

As far as I can make out Ferguson just confirmed that all the things he was being criticised for at the time were completly true. He did undermine the manager and did operate against team instructions. In my opinion his behaviour at the time was atrocious and PLG's failure to properly deal with him at the time was part of his ultimate downfall. I we'll remember a midweek game at Ibrox when Baz should have been subbed after ten minutes because he clearly wasn't doing what he was supposed to do. There are faults on both sides but Ferguson's behaviour was terrible in my opinion.