Pen is mighty as visitors put to the sword

Richard Wilson

SELF-EXPRESSION, whether borne of exuberance or exasperation, was a recurring theme during this latest procession at Ibrox.

Protests against the board, gaining momentum through old-fashioned leafleting campaigns as well as the now-inevitable use of the internet, reached a new level on Saturday with the grandest exhibitions of dissent yet being shown in the 18th and 72nd minutes, nods to the club's foundation in 1872.

To suggest this is akin to the storming of the Bastille is premature, but more and more Rangers fans, never ones entirely comfortable with demanding necks on the guillotine, are warming to the idea of one way or another forcing out those inhabiting the boardroom. The centrepoint of the demonstration was the corner of the stadium between the Main Stand and the Broomloan Road Stand - and the unfurling of banners which read 'Spivs Out', 'No More Lies', 'Action Not Apathy' and 'Give Us Our Rangers Back' was well orchestrated.

What may worry the likes of chief executive Craig Mather, as the temperature builds ahead of next month's AGM, is that these messages were not restricted to that area of the ground. They were raised throughout all four stands at the appointed time, with one or two perhaps a little too close for comfort to the directors' box and the stoic types in the posh seats.

It would be disingenuous to suggest the chants of 'Sack The Board' and 'Get Out Of Our Club' emanated from all corners of the arena, but there was enough widespread applause to suggest the views expressed are gaining enough support to be taken seriously. This was not all clenched fists, stern faces and 'Wolfie' Smith politics, though. Passions are running high but they come out in positive ways, too, and the wonderfully chaotic half-time parade in honour of the armed forces was quite something to witness. Around 400 servicemen and women marched into the ground in perfect order behind a massed pipe band. But the minute they set foot on the hallowed turf all semblance of order dissolved.

Squaddies were bouncing up and down on the trackside with the spotty adolescents of the Union Bears fans group, RAF pilots were queuing up for photos beside the substitutes as well as Broxi Bear, and there were a couple of Navy men you would swear were trying to get up the tunnel.

One fellow who certainly shared the enthusiasm and joy of those soldiers and sailors revelling in their moment in the spotlight was central defender Bilel Mohsni. The 26-year-old French-Tunisian completed this rout with the most spectacular overhead kick in stoppage time and decided to embark upon a one-man lap of honour after the final whistle.

Channelling the spirit of the afternoon, he was in no mood to keep his thoughts to himself. Despite being just in the door, he is already talking of the possibility of at least matching Rangers' record league win of 10-0 against Hibernian in December 1898, and more. "It's possible we could score double figures in a game at Ibrox this season," he said. "Stenhousemuir have some good players and try to play football, but they caught us on a great day.

"That was the best goal I've ever scored and it was a special day, because my parents, my brother and some friends had travelled over from France. I enjoyed my celebrations. All I want to talk about with regard to the fans, though, is the relationship we have with them. There is a very close bond between every player and the supporters. If we play our best, we could win every game as we have good players in every position. I think we have the team to win every game."

Mohsni did not hold back either when criticising last week's award of the SPFL League One manager of the month prize to Stenhousemuir's Martyn Corrigan. "It's just a pity Ally McCoist didn't get it," he said. "How many goals do you want us to score in one game before he gets recognised - 100? I know the Stenhousemuir manager got the award, so this was a good way for the manager to respond to that. People seem to ignore the job that Ally McCoist is doing and he should get more praise."

His side did him proud here. Jon Daly scored four goals to complement other efforts of varying quality from Andy Little, Lee Wallace, substitute David Templeton and Mohsni.

Ian Black also made an effective return from his suspension for gambling against his own team and will have been happy to emerge from the 90 minutes without any perceptible criticism from the stands.

"I lost seven goals to Rangers in the cup when I was with Dunfermline and also lost seven at Parkhead, but I'd never lost eight before," said visiting goalkeeper Chris Smith. "It was, without doubt, my worst ever day."

Two positive stories from both Martin Lyndsay and Richard Wilson, both highlighting the work of the squad on the pitch and the Rangers support.

Saturday was a special day for me and no doubt many other thousands of fans, to be a part of the protest and let our voices be heard, to witness the troops and let our voices be heard and of course to watch our team play like they did and again to hear our voices heard.

The protest orchestrated from the Son's of Struth may be in its infancy but overall I believe it was well received and momentum can almost certainly move forward, and as for Mr McCoist continuing to applaud the fans, well done sir!

Footnote...well done Bilel Moshni

I've been a bit pessimistic recently with the AGM on the horizon.

This week-end is the first time for a while I have felt a lifting of the spirits, hopefully it is just the beginning.

It was also the most I have enjoyed our football for a couple of years.

Agree completely chilled bear, really hope the squad can push on and deliver football like that consistently throughout the season, don't get me wrong with the exception of a couple of games this season the football is vastly improved on last season, but Saturday's game was excellent. Controlled passing not giving Stenhousemuir any time on the ball, players actively moving into space. It was great to see.

I think most will have pessimistic thoughts with regards to the AGM , how will the accounts look? Will the board be changed? Will it stay status Quo? Also can the support become more united and use their voice. Lots of things to play out yet and a long way to go.

I get a strange sensation when reading positive Articles about Rangers these days. I can't quite put my finger on it. Surprise comes first, then the waiting for the jibe or slanderous remark sets in...by the end of the article I'm left wondering if the journo (usually Wilson) knows what he's doing and that he may never work in Scotland again if he keeps it up!