Regarding the centre-back positions

Regarding the centre-back positions:

I think we have a potentially perfect partnership with Faure & Mohsni and I'll be extremely disappointed in the manager if he doesn't give that partnership a proper chance. Both players are French born with French being their first language, so there is no issue with a language or communication barrier between them. They are clearly both very good players, so I see absolutely no reason for not trying to develop a strong partnership between them. The opportunity is so perfect that it would almost be a crime to NOT give that partnership a proper chance.

Faure came from a great youth system background, having spent his whole youth career at Lyon and he was being honed into a future French international, having played well over 40 games for the French international youth teams between 2007 & 2011. If we keep him with us and give him the games and experience on our journey back to the top flight, then when we're back up there he could potentially start to get French call-ups and caps which would leave us with a very valuable asset. If it was up to me, the lad would get a new 4 year deal and be getting a regular game at centre-back for us instead of Jig.

Mohsni doesn't have the same youth pedigree as Faure, but I've been impressed with most of what I've seen from him and it's easy to see why he was plucked from the depths of part-time lower French leagues 3 years ago to move to Southend and play for Paul Sturrock. Over the past year or so, there's been some quite big clubs sniffing around him and taking him on trial, including West Ham and Birmingham. West Ham even made Southend and offer for him which was rejected!

So there we have it... two French gems who could be our perfect 1st choice centre-back partnership and have great potential sell-on value if we need cash when we're back in the top flight. If Ally doesn't see that golden opportunity and nurture their partnership, he and I are falling out!

Edited by Zappa

Faure's early season form at centre half was solid. He looks decent in that position so I would be keen to see this partnership given a chance. However, Jig is pretty much guaranteed to start when fit. He's not mobile enough to play in midfield any more and Daly is probably preferred up top. So unless Jig or Daly are out for prolonged periods, I can't see this happening much this season.

Guest Belt & Braces

I would like to see them handle '' top flight opposition '' before I put any expectation on those two lads, despite the early signs being positive.

Why did he leave France anyway? you need to ask that question

Not sure Rab. His contract ran out at Lyon last summer (2012).

Despite not making it into the Lyon first team there was certainly interest in him from one or two other top flight French clubs, but he came over to the UK on trial at Leeds Utd last summer, then we snapped him up.

Also worth noting that he played in the French under-20 team which finished in fourth place at the 2011 U-20 World Cup.

Hard to judge anyone whilst playing at this level. It's just too easy.

It'll become more difficult as we move up through the leagues obviously, but surely that gives us the perfect opportunity to develop a strong centre-back partnership between the likes of Faure & Mohsni? That's ideally what I'd like to see Ally doing, but as stewarty says, unless Jig or Daly are out injured, it might be unlikely to happen.

Agree with Zappa, at least give them a try. McCulloch will be another 2 years older when we get back to the SPL so will be even slower and surely wont have a place in the team then unless its upfront.

McCulloch will be another 2 years older when we get back to the SPL so will be even slower and surely wont have a place in the team then unless its upfront.

Exactly Gribz. Jig will be 37 as we head into our first season back in the top flight and he'll turn 38 in the May at the end of that season. Unlike Davie Weir, he doesn't have 20 years of centre-back experience to draw from and fall back on as he gets older.