Leggat - BOYD BONUS BOMBSHELL AS MATHER AND STOCKBRIDGE SNUB FANS

KRIS Boyd dropped a bit of bombshell on Sky before Rangers took on Ayr United at Somerset Park on Sunday.

Boyd revealed that none of the Rangers stars who took the club on its glorious three-in-a-row run and on into the £20M Klondyke that is the Champions League got anywhere near the £200,000 bonus which was banked by Financial Director Brian Stockbridge for whatever part he thinks he played in Rangers winning the fourth tier league last season.

That just about puts the whole thing into perspective and shows why the vast and overwhelming majority of Rangers fans believe the current directors are spivs and want them out of the Blue Room to be replaced by men such as Paul Murray, who has never taken a brass farthing out of Rangers.

When Sky’s always excellent Scottish anchor, David Tanner quizzed Boyd about Stockbridge’s bonus bonanza he was presenting the former Ibrox hit man with an open goal. And big Boydie doesn’t miss those.

That Boyd revelation is something Rangers supporters might be glad to quiz £300,000-a-year chief executive officer Craig Mather and his £200,000-a-year, plus the same again in a bonus last time out, financial director Brian Stockbridge about.

Except that Mather and Stockbridge have refused to give them that chance after getting such a hot time from the couple of hundred supporters they faced a few weeks ago.

But that was before the Sons of Struth inspired match days’ demonstrations against the board kicked off and before the accounts were published showing an operating loss of £14.4M.

Now Mather and Stockbridge know that that rough ride they got the last time they met the fans would be nothing compared to the hostile reception they would face if they showed their faces in the lion’s den again.

Which is why many believe they have refused to repeat the meeting.

Instead, on Thursday they are due to meet not a few hundred supporters, but a mere six of them. They will sit down in private conclave with two representatives from each of the three main supporters’ groups, the Association, the Assembly and the Trust.

And even that is more than they wanted to do in the first place. For I can reveal that the first request from the Rangers board was that they would meet one representative of each of those three major organisations, at three separate meetings. An offer the three groups saw as an ambush and rightly snubbed.

But what about Thursday’s meeting? Will it turn out to be some sort of ambush too? Will the two executive directors, Mather and Stockbridge both be there? Will non executive directors be there too? Will James Easdale be there? Will Sandy Easdale, who is not a plc director, but who sits on the football board only, be there?

My advice to the office bearers of the Association, the Assembly and the Trust would be to get cast list sorted out in advance of the meeting and to refuse to go ahead with the meeting if the board deviate from what they agree in advance.

It is bad enough that Rangers are in turmoil. Respected financial figures predict the current board will run out of money by this time next year. There is also a Court of Session case, as the current directors’ reluctance to take part in a proper open democratic election is challenged by good men and true. Now Mather refuses to again stand in front of the same few hundred supporters he tried to sweet talk a few weeks ago.

While financial director Stockbridge refuses to try to explain away what it was he did to help Rangers win the fourth tier in Scottish football which deserved a £200,000 bonus, which as Kris Boyd has revealed, was a lot more than any of the players who helped Rangers win three-in-a-row SPL titles and take Rangers to the promised land of the Champions League, including a money spinning clash with Manchester United, ever got.

Completely twisting the facts here to suit his argument.

I thought Boyd was being very diplomatic when asked about his wages - he seemed quite embarrassed by the question. Although he did say the bonus was not as high as £200,000 he did not seem outraged or shocked by that figure.

Although Stockbridge took home a £200,000 bonus Boyd probably took home more in 6 months than Stockbridge does in a year.

We already knew about the "generous bonuses" these guys award themselves for doing nothing. All Leggate does is give it a bit of context and make a peice out of it. It's a pretty standard trick of the Journalists trade - produce a few hundred words and fill a space out of nothing.

When Sky’s always excellent Scottish anchor, David Tanner

Who's been up all night working that one out?

From afar the off field stuff has been confusing and misleading me for a while now but the bonuses paid to Mather and Stockbridge is pretty easy to suss and has done nothing but anger me. I just didn't trust Mather from day one and Ive never even seen Stockbridge.

Yes ... I reckon Boyd was on a 15k a week contract or the like, not to mention Whittaker or Ferguson (who allegedly got 2,5m from the EBTs). We all have different ideas about what our CEO et al should get for their work, but I doubt that any CEO of a similar company as ours receives much less (in wages alone)

Yes ... I reckon Boyd was on a 15k a week contract or the like, not to mention Whittaker or Ferguson (who allegedly got 2,5m from the EBTs). We all have different ideas about what our CEO et al should get for their work, but I doubt that any CEO of a similar company as ours receives much less (in wages alone)

I doubt many CEOs get a whopping bonus for the type of financial results we've had. Some do due to greedy directors fleecing the shareholders but it never goes down well. If we'd made a 10m gross profit then maybe a 200k bonus might be in order...

There's a rumour doing the rounds if true, proves that Edmiston drive is paved with gold for these Spivs. Last home game a friend of mine was in the directors box ans he saw a fifty pound note lying on the stairs to directors lounge, he was in the process of picking it when Stockpile stepped on it, Mather said to him "are you going to pick that up" and Stockpile replied "no it's my day off"

I doubt many CEOs get a whopping bonus for the type of financial results we've had. Some do due to greedy directors fleecing the shareholders but it never goes down well. If we'd made a 10m gross profit then maybe a 200k bonus might be in order...

Doesn't that depend on the plan that was set out at the start of the financial year? There was never any doubt that we would end this year with a loss. How the money was spend is another matter and needs to be addressed. Still, its a bit rich for Boyd and Ferguson to point at the money e.g. Mather gets for doing his job.