Freedom of speech will never go out of fashion.

Let's say our fans dramatically and unison stop singing the songs which are considered offensive or even illegal....do you think that will be the end of it and we'll be left alone? No chance, they'll go after Blue Blue Sea of Ibrox and all the other "clean" songs for tenuous reasons and eventually they will be tarnished. Rinse and repeat, throw in some political weight, some NUJ members hemorraghing printed bile and bingo onto the next one.

The tit-for tat culture and perma offended mindset has to change.

Been trying to make the same point for a long time now.

A lot of hyperbolic pish getting trotted out on this subject. They will "go after" the blue sea of Ibrox, really, does anybody actually believe that possible let alone remotely likely?

It's not hard guys, we just stop singing songs about scumbag drug gang extortionist terrorists. It's really that simple. It would certainly enhance my match day experience that's for sure.

I know I'm in the minority and will probably take abuse for this, but '...join the YCV with a rifle and a pistol in my hand'.

Do people really think lyrics like this are appropriate to sing? We are Rangers, we should stick to songs celebrating our club and it's history.

Guest Belt & Braces
I know I'm in the minority and will probably take abuse for this, but '...join the YCV with a rifle and a pistol in my hand'.

Do people really think lyrics like this are appropriate to sing? We are Rangers, we should stick to songs celebrating our club and it's history.

The problem is Bigy is that there are too many who believe that in order to be a good Ranger you have to be a good protestant/unionist and vice versa. Thus that is our history in their eyes.

Freedom of speech will never go out of fashion.

Let's say our fans dramatically and unison stop singing the songs which are considered offensive or even illegal....do you think that will be the end of it and we'll be left alone? No chance, they'll go after Blue Blue Sea of Ibrox and all the other "clean" songs for tenuous reasons and eventually they will be tarnished. Rinse and repeat, throw in some political weight, some NUJ members hemorraghing printed bile and bingo onto the next one.

The tit-for tat culture and perma offended mindset has to change.

What do you base that on, is there any evidence that'll happen? I've seen this argument put forward before but it seems to be based on fear rather than anything else.

A lot of hyperbolic pish getting trotted out on this subject. They will "go after" the blue sea of Ibrox, really, does anybody actually believe that possible let alone remotely likely?

It's not hard guys, we just stop singing songs about scumbag drug gang extortionist terrorists. It's really that simple. It would certainly enhance my match day experience that's for sure.

Bow to the mock offended brigade then?

:facepalm:

you seem an educated person Andy,, ( mabie except your political alliances, but i'm sure that's your choice and not your education ).. but that mate is just total nonsense

Or at least you might need to broaden your view a little to the real world, i'm sure ive had this conversation with you before too...

The emblems and standards some of the flute bands et all march have dedicated to the Battle of the Somme and other various UK history, and they have been marching with these since before your 1984....

Except it's not nonsense. I've been going for a decade and a half longer than Andy and was brought up in a Rangers environment as well.

I don't recall references to, or songs about, the UVF starting until the 1980s, maybe late 70s and never, until the last few years, was there and suggestion that the songs were in praise of the WWI soldiers. It was widely accepted that chants of UV - UVF and songs in their honour were a tribute to the sectarian murder gang of the Troubles.

I'm not disputing that flute bands have references to the original UVF, by the way.

This stuff about our UVF songs being about WWI is a direct response to the Celtic support claiming that BotoB etc were sung in honour of the original IRA and not the murder squads of the Troubles - and equally transparent.

Bow to the mock offended brigade then?

Eh? Why do you want to sing songs about "scumbag drug gang extortionist terrorists"? Seriously what part of your culture or heritage do they represent? How is that bowing to anyone?