Why do we have to sing about Celtic at all?

Can we not just sing about Rangers

Or Penny Arcade or Blowing Bubbles ... indeed ;-) . The point with some songs that have come under the scrutiny is that they are great rousing stuff ingrained into the Rangers songbook, like Derry's Walls' "No Surrender". And while it is sure a good point that we should drop certain imagery and mindsets (whic, I would boldy claim, most of those who sing these songs have already done), it should be us who have a say in what we sing too. Hence the best way to deal with the affair is to speak with the relevant people (Strathclyde Police et al) and agree on certain points. As long as some agenda-driven politicians and bigotted privateers do it for us, we'll always be on the receiving end.

BTW, there is a great little loyalist song that would go down well with many on here too, I assume, as one can easily say that all that is sung can be said about the Bears and Rangers and the admin year* ....

*Especially the 2nd verse.

Or Penny Arcade or Blowing Bubbles ... indeed ;-) . The point with some songs that have come under the scrutiny is that they are great rousing stuff ingrained into the Rangers songbook, like Derry's Walls' "No Surrender". And while it is sure a good point that we should drop certain imagery and mindsets (whic, I would boldy claim, most of those who sing these songs have already done), it should be us who have a say in what we sing too. Hence the best way to deal with the affair is to speak with the relevant people (Strathclyde Police et al) and agree on certain points. As long as some agenda-driven politicians and bigotted privateers do it for us, we'll always be on the receiving end.

BTW, there is a great little loyalist song that would go down well with many on here too, I assume, as one can easily say that all that is sung can be said about the Bears and Rangers and the admin year* ....

*Especially the 2nd verse.

Indeed

But ultimately I don't show my love for something by singing about my hatred for something else.

Different song that was never sung at a Rangers game,

The original song came from our matches, the additional verses came a short time later but the association with us was already made. Anyone who hadn't heard the 'song' and Googled it found that version. Whether we sung all the words or not the song was tainted from that point on.

That argument falls down when you look at the Celtic fans romanticising the famine every week. If it's acceptable for Scottish Celtic fans to sing about it every week then it's also acceptable for Rangers fans to take the piss out of them for doing so.

I agree, and had we kept it for Celtic games then I'd be defending it too. We didn't and the rest is history. I'm all for mocking the faux 'Irishness' of Celtic fans, it's absolutely fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Nobody was laughing at the famine. they were laughing at the Celtic fans for pretending they were Irish and for singing about the famine when they are Scottish.

Again I agree, but that's not how it seemed over there. There was literally disbelief something they take so seriously could be used as a chant at a football match. This annoyance wasn't just from your Celtic supporting, republican friendly Irish either. Those with no interest in football or politics were appalled too, and when Governments start asking questions of other governments then the games a bogey. No way was someone from the UK or Scottish government going to 'defend' the chant when it became clear how much offence it was causing.

They would have still used the same arguments and been successful. It was irrelevant whether we only sung it Celtic fans or everyone. The spin would have still been put on it and accepted by all non-bears and many of our own support as well.

With respect you don't know that.

amms, at least twice you make mention to the idea that this is the reality we find ourselves in and so we must fall into line.

I didn't say 'fall into line', don't misquote me. You can either deal with reality or you can complain that things aren't how you want them to be. Let me know how you get on with the latter because it'll give you ulcers and make you bitter.

I still disagree. As is rightly pointed out corrupt politicians and a biased media set the agenda and the rules. But I don't think we have to just sit back and go that's the status quo we must march to their tune.

We as a support must find a way to have a day in the agenda being set so it is not all one sided.

I don't feel my "culture" is under threat. I feel my right to enjoy the football, to engage in banter, to have fun and express myself is under threat. There is a battle whether people want to acknowledge it or not.

I'm not overly fucked about political or terrorist songs. I don't care about TFS.

I care about what they represent. They are attacking any expression of support, and chance of creating atmosphere at Ibrox.

I'm sorry that's nonsense. If that's all the songs we've got and the only way we've got of creating an atmosphere we might as well give up and go home.

BD as torn your argument on TFS to shreds.

I disagree.

There was nothing wrong with that song but the media, politicians etc ensure it was outlawed. You can claim that "normal" people dismissed the other attacks mentioned but the arguments persist and once they have removed the easier targets they won't be slow in going after anything else they don't like. They'll be back for Penny Arcade and anything else.

You've nothing at all to back that up, there is no evidence that'll happen and frankly it's preposterous.

There is a clear and obvious propaganda war against anything we do and to ignore that is foolhardy.

I'm sorry I totally disagree. The biggest threat to Rangers is from ourselves, we inflict far more damage to our club and our support than all the Celtic fans in world combined. Sort ourselves out and we've nothing to fear.

Well, it looks like going round in circles time.

My only remaining point to make is that some fans must have a really low opinion of their fellow Bears to think they would give in to some twit complaining about Penny Arcade. The leap in logic from 'songs about terrorists don't do us any favours' to 'you would give in to what is, frankly, lunacy' (someone complaining about PA) needs you to think the absolute worst of people, it really does.

The original song came from our matches, the additional verses came a short time later but the association with us was already made. Anyone who hadn't heard the 'song' and Googled it found that version. Whether we sung all the words or not the song was tainted from that point on.

It wasn't a case of adding verses. It's a different song. What was sung by the Rangers fans "why don't you go home x 2 etc" doesn't feature in the other one.

With respect you don't know that.

What part don't I know?

I don't know that the Celtic fans will sing about the IRA at some point this season. I don't know that some rangers fans will not complain about some songs that other rangers fans sing at some point in the next 6 months, I can't say for sure but both points are virtual certainties, pretty much like the points I made. However if you disagree then that's fair enough.

I summarised a point you made and it is there in your posts and many others. I neither quoted nor misquoted anyone.

I think examples with Penny Arcade and many others show it is not preposterous and is in fact their end game.

'Fall into line' has a very different connotation than deal with reality. That wasn't a summary it was editorialised.

They were laughed out the room by everybody when the Penny Arcade nonsense was mentioned, indeed I don't even know who mentioned it, do you? I'm sorry, I can see no evidence to back up this concern of yours.

It wasn't a case of adding verses. It's a different song. What was sung by the Rangers fans "why don't you go home x 2 etc" doesn't feature in the other one.

Not in the version I saw and heard, it was clearly 'Why Don't You Go Home' with some mental verses added.

What part don't I know?

I don't know that the Celtic fans will sing about the IRA at some point this season. I don't know that some rangers fans will not complain about some songs that other rangers fans sing at some point in the next 6 months, I can't say for sure but both points are virtual certainties, pretty much like the points I made. However if you disagree then that's fair enough.

You don't know they'd have been successful had no one changed the song and had we only sung it against the Tims. I've no idea what your last paragraph is supposed to prove.