Rangers fans' chief Drew Roberton claims...

........................unified Ibrox support won't stop protesting until board are overthrown

ROBERTON, spokesman for the Rangers Supporters' Association, believes fans are united in their stance for the first time in decades and warns the club's hierarchy their mood is not about to change.

RANGERS fans’ chief Drew Roberton insists the Ibrox support is as unified as it’s ever been – and won’t stop protesting until the current board are overthrown.

Walter Smith admitted this week he’s never seen protests like the ones he witnessed at Somerset Park on Sunday when Gers fans made their feelings known live on TV about what they think of the hierarchy at their club.

In the past, they’ve been guilty of being fractious and split on most issues at Rangers. But now, Roberton is adamant all fans are unanimous in their views that major changes must take place at the agm on October 24.

There is a movement – initiated by billionaire Jim McColl and businessman Paul Murray – to oust chief executive Craig Mather, finance director Brian Stockbridge and board member Bryan Smart.

Judging by the banners unfurled during the 2-0 victory over Ayr at the weekend, the supporters have made their minds up as well.

Roberton, spokesman for the Rangers Supporters’ Association, believes it’s the first time in decades fans have been united in their stance. And he warned the boardroom’s current incumbents their mood isn’t about to change any time soon.

He told Record Sport: “The feeling among the fans is very clear. They want change and the protests won’t let up until they get it. The strength of feeling among the support and continued protests have actually surprised me.

“Over the years, Rangers fans have generally been angry today and over it tomorrow. But now the fans have the bit between their teeth. These protests will not go away between now and the agm, at the very least.

“They want certain people out. And the best way to do that is to make it known to shareholders they are unhappy with the board.

“In all my years watching Rangers I’ve never known as many fans to be united on one particular subject.

“They made their feelings clear at Ayr. No matter how they try to dress it up, the figures in the annual accounts – considering the money brought in – just don’t look good. I think that will continue until the likes of Mather and Stockbridge are out the door.”

With the agm looming, the general perception is Rangers’ future will lie in the hands of the institutional investors and the big “money men” associated with the club. But Roberton says that’s not the case and is certain ordinary fans have a crucial role to play.

He said: “It’s vitally important that the support sticks together because, of the total shareholding, ordinary punters have around 12 per cent of it.

“Come the agm that 12 per cent could sway the vote. People probably think fans on the street can’t influence it but they can. If certain votes are close, the fans’ 12 per cent could have a huge bearing.”

Roberton would welcome further investment – but only if the cash is used to benefit the club and current boss Ally McCoist.

So, after Mather and Stockbridge returned from a meeting with Dave King, Roberton urged fans to be careful what they wish for.

He said: “A lot of fans are sceptical now about people with that kind of money because they ask, ‘If you were that interested why didn’t you put your hand in your pocket when the club was available?’

“But I don’t think anyone has the right to expect people to spend their money on a club just because you think they should. Especially when you’re unsure where exactly that money will go.

“My view is King is thinking along similar lines to McColl, in that he doesn’t want to pay any money to see the likes of Mather and Stockbridge go.

“I’m assuming King wants change at boardroom level but, like McColl, he wants money he puts in to go towards the club, not the people running it. Whether it’s King or anyone else, our view is there’s a drastic need for change.

“But it’s difficult to nail colours to anyone’s mast because, after what we’ve been through already at Rangers, you could be made to look stupid in six months time.”

That’s why Roberton feels Walter Smith refused to condemn the likes of Mather but suggested money raised over the summer has been used to serve individuals, as opposed to the club itself.

He added: “Walter was clever with his comments this week. He’s alluding to certain things and allowing fans to make their own mind up.

“But he has already backed the requisitioners so, from that point of view, his stance is clear.

“When he resigned from the board he seemed to be behind Mather. But I’m not sure if he’s changed his mind on that now.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fans-chief-drew-roberton-2355770

He doesn't speak for me.

These people never do speak for anyone other than their organisations and, usually, these organisations are representative of fan opinion which is why the media tend to use them over and above the odd individual fan.

That's not to say their opinion is right or any more valid than anyone else's but the 'doesn't speak for me' stuff is fairly tedious.

These people never do speak for anyone other than their organisations and, usually, these organisations are representative of fan opinion which is why the media tend to use them over and above the odd individual fan.

That's not to say their opinion is right or any more valid than anyone else's but the 'doesn't speak for me' stuff is fairly tedious.

I don't say it too often but this particular article is at least bordering on him making it sound like he speaks for the whole support.

I don't say it too often but this particular article is at least bordering on him making it sound like he speaks for the whole support.

Of course the article will imply that. After all, that's the media's job.

The simple fact is though that he doesn't and that's obvious to anyone.

Of course the article will imply that. After all, that's the media's job.

The simple fact is though that he doesn't and that's obvious to anyone.

I think in these situations they should also make it clear themselves via quotes that they aren't speaking for everyone.

But it is a bit of a small annoyance i'll admit. :)

I think in these situations they should also make it clear themselves via quotes that they aren't speaking for everyone.

But it is a bit of a small annoyance i'll admit. :)

I'd have thought the average Rangers fan reading such articles was more than capable of determining the source and attribution of such quotes.

If not, I'll respectfully suggest delivering such info with a cherry on top would make no difference whatsoever. As well as removing much needed space for the most interesting stuff.

I'd have thought the average Rangers fan reading such articles was more than capable of determining the source and attribution of such quotes.

If not, I'll respectfully suggest delivering such info with a cherry on top would make no difference whatsoever. As well as removing much needed space for the most interesting stuff.

It's him that's chosen to speak to the Daily Record though Frankie.