Guest Belt & Braces

I would be in favour of down sizing Murray Park to something a little more streamline.

When was the last time we got good money for one of our own home grown players ? Hutton ?

That was a good pay day but it came off the back of impressive Champions League performances.

I believe that for as long as we're in the lower levels of Scottish football, we'll find it difficult to bring people in and sell them for a good profit without Champions League performances, this is why Celtic are still able to play in the worst league in Europe yet get sound money for above average players.

So I believe the solution is to downsize but increase good scouting, something we've lacked for quite sometime. Although nobody in that boardroom would want to downsize something that is registered as '' World class '' by Fifa.

Looks like we're stuck with it.

I wouldn't say 'downsizing' MP is a good idea.

Certainly, get the place running more efficiently but downsizing would send out the wrong signals.

MP has produced many good players, the problem is that 9/10, we don't benefit from the sales as either, we've let them go at a fraction of the price that their sold for a few years later or they walk out on a Bosman.

Rangers have produced, Steven Dobie, Chris Burke, Allan McGregor, Gary McKenzie, Alan Hutton who are all playing at decent levels, Hutton stands out as the only one we got decent dough for. Not to mention the tens of other players all still playing in the lower echelons of the UK leagues.

Nowadays, we've produced Macleod and Crawford, 2 guys who look like they've got a decent chance, we've got Storey and Hardie in the 16's who look exciting.

If anything, the budget at MP should be ringfenced as it's more important than ever that we get the youth part working properly.

Rangers will receive compensation for any players we bring through so all is not lost.

unless we can sell them onto the likes of the EPL then the amounts won't be worthwhile. No point in producing players for St Mirren, Partick Thistle etc. Simply not worth it.

We're always going to do that to some extent, Rab, because of how close such clubs are to us.

I suppose you're right Andy but MP really does need to start paying for itself big time by producing young players capable of challenging for a first team place long before they're 21. Like Ajax for example.

If it doesn't then it should be 'streamlined' as an earlier comment suggested. It must cost an absolute fortune in running costs at a time when we will undoubtedly be looking for areas to cut in the not too distant future.

I suppose you're right Andy but MP really does need to start paying for itself big time by producing young players capable of challenging for a first team place long before they're 21. Like Ajax for example.

distant future.

As we have about five in that category maybe we're better example than Ajax?

As we have about five in that category maybe we're better example than Ajax?

not so sure I'd agree. Other than Lewis McLeod how many of the current young players are as good as you say do you think ? and why did Ally go for experienced players during the summer e.g Daly ?

totally believe in if you're good enough you're old enough and recently Lewis McLeod is the only one who has consistently delivered against that adage. We hear that Crawford shows up fantastically in training but he's not in the game enough on a Saturday/Sunday to merit a regular starting place.

these fringe, young guys need to step up and knock the door down, because they are getting more opportunities whilst we're in the lower leagues. there is talent their, it is consistency that is the issue, which seems to be a problem for youth players to deliver upon.

as for the septic comments; most of their transfers have been of the Jelavic sort, buy in from an obscure country/club and develop for a couple of years and then sell for a much bigger fee, their youth system is no better than ours, the one where I think I've seen most recent sell on youth talent has been Dundee Utd, in Scotland anyway, not sure of the reason for that.

Couple of things here.....

1. The new turf isn't all paid for by Rangers. They got lotto funding and other funding.

2. The quality of training facilities also get graded and the higher you are graded the better opportunity you have of getting funding for other projects.

3. The outdoor astro turf isn't used by the first team. It is used by the youth teams, most often the younger groups.

I was there tonight and the group I watched had some very talented players and the session was very high quality in my opinion.