You cite John McLelland (for one) as being managerial material, yet doubt whether Stuart McCall would have been any good.

Where the hell is the logic in that argument?

Astonishing rubbish which takes away from any good points you make (which aren't many).

Beetle, you are a newbie to the forum but in 14 posts I have seen you twice accuse folks of being stupid or posting rubbish.

Not sure what you are accustomed to elsewhere but Gersnet prides itself on reasoned, respectful debate.

Please follow those expectations.

And.... Welcome aboard

You cite John McLelland (for one) as being managerial material, yet doubt whether Stuart McCall would have been any good.

Where the hell is the logic in that argument?

Astonishing rubbish which takes away from any good points you make (which aren't many).

Hello Beetle Bailey and well done you've only been here for 14 posts and have already figured out I mainly post rubbish, takes most people at least a couple of weeks before they suss me out.

John McClelland was captain of Rangers and captain of Northern Ireland as well as playing at two World Cup Finals. Being made captain of a club the size of Rangers as well as his country when they had a very good team suggests several different managers recognised leadership qualities in him. It also suggests his fellow players looked to him as someone to listen too. That was why I thought he'd go on and become a good manager.

Stuart McCall was never captain of his club or country. Whilst he was a selfless player I never noticed any obvious leadership qualities in his play or signs of great tactical awareness. He came across as one-of-the-boys, fond of a drink a prank and a party and the video footage of him dancing then falling off the car roof when down south, whilst endearing, didn't suggest he was someone you were going to entrust the transfer budget too.

Listen, I really liked McCall as a player and I'm delighted he's gone on and proved himself a good manager, I just didn't expect it or notice any signs he'd go that way when he was a player.

As you point out the players I thought would become good managers didn't so it pretty much underlines what I'd figured out a good number of years ago namely that I don't know a great deal about football.