Guest Dummiesoot
His shot stopping was the equal of Schmeichel, for sure but he didn't command the box nearly as well and his positioning was sometimes open to question. For me, Schmeichel is about the best I've ever seen and a level above Goram

Schmeichel went through a few seasons getting lobbed regularly and did not command his box at all. Atvthe same time Goram was the best one on one goalie out there and also he was by far the most comfortable with the pass back rule. I won't disagree about how good Schmeichel was for a long time he was number one.

Gascoigne was definitely world class and Laudrup was close too.

The De Boer brothers were also world class on their day (maybe not with us).

I would argue that Arthur Numan was up there too - one of the best international full backs at the time.

Laudrup was a far better player than Gascoigne. Laudrup was voted 5th best player in the world at one point.

Cooper, without question.

And I honestly believed if the Scottish game had not crippled him, Durrant would have been one of the players of the 90's.

I doubt he'd have been in a blue shirt. Probably at Man U or Bayern Munich, I should think (or Arsenal when Wnger took over! How he woudl have shone in one of Arsene's teams). BT Sports carry the Bundesliga and they have a wad of players who do just what Durrant did, making the runs from midfield into the box and scoring. But he was so good at it! Ghosting forward, either foot really...when you watch a Marko Marin, or a Shurrle, they're not any better than Durrant was when he was assaulted.

The great lost Scottish player, I think, and the only one of two who would be called World Class.

And of course Andy Ruud Gullit would agree with you re Coop.

The term world class is probably the most discussed term in football arguments , what actually is world class , is it the ability to get into any world team and improve it , can " world class players " transcend times , ie would Sir Stanley Mathews get the plaudits today when every player is an athlete ,

In every era how many world class players can there actually be , enough for 1 team , 2 teams etc etc if you get my meaning.

Many people including Frankie extol the virtues of Gazza as the biggest signing in Scottish football history and whilst that may be so , if you strip it down to pure footballing terms imho Laudrup was a far better player and would get into most teams ahead of Gazza,

but its all about opinions

In my life time only Laudrup, Frank De Boer and Gattuso would be world class IMO. Arguably Gio too. But Gattuso was not world class yet at us and F De Boer was a class act but well beyond his best years.

It was actually quite interesting how poor F De Boer was in his later years yet breezed the SPL without breaking sweat.

Cooper, without question.

And I honestly believed if the Scottish game had not crippled him, Durrant would have been one of the players of the 90's.

The great lost Scottish player, I think, and the only one of two who would be called World Class.

You wouldn't include Denis Law or Kenny Dalglish?

In my life time only Laudrup, Frank De Boer and Gattuso would be world class IMO. Arguably Gio too. But Gattuso was not world class yet at us and F De Boer was a class act but well beyond his best years.

It was actually quite interesting how poor F De Boer was in his later years yet breezed the SPL without breaking sweat.

I'm with you on Frank de Boer and Laudrup; but don't think Gattuso was in the same League.

What a combination we had at the end of the season 2003/04 with FdeB and Henning Berg; combined ages 68.75 at the centre of our defence.

Schmeichel went through a few seasons getting lobbed regularly and did not command his box at all. Atvthe same time Goram was the best one on one goalie out there and also he was by far the most comfortable with the pass back rule. I won't disagree about how good Schmeichel was for a long time he was number one.

Goram was an outstanding shot-stopper for sure but Schmeichel was voted the 4th and 5th best PLAYER (not goalkeeper, player) in the world in 1992 and 1993 and the best goalkeeper in the world in those years.

The IFFHS ranked Schmeichel among the top ten keepers of the 20th century in 2000, and in 2001, Schmeichel won a public poll held by Reuters, when the majority of the 200,000 participants voted him as the best goalkeeper ever, ahead of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks. (source - Wikipedia).

Sorry but Goram was not at that level.