Rangers already have a football 'philosophy'. It's called winning. Tactics, and personnel, are adapted to achieve this goal.

I'd like to know if those of you who argue for a football 'philosophy' think that it entails the following points:

1. A particular style of play should be maintained even at the expense of winning.

2. Playing the same formation each week.

3. Playing the senior team formation throughout the youth teams.

In response to the points above:

(1) That is my point really. Had we been in the top flight that argument would have been fully justified, but in the lower tiers? Really? Are we honestly saying that we are in danger of losing ground against the sides we are currently playing against by adapting our style of play. I would argue that the players we have would see us through that.

(2) Why not - if you get it right? Within reason of course. There has to be an element of flexibility.

(3) Yes - I would say so.

This is not a cheap shot at McCoist. It's a genuine belief that we will rue this wasted opportunity in years to come. It's the first time in all my years following Rangers that I can honestly say I don't know what our preferred formation\style of play is.

It's pretty safe to say we have won our second title on the way back up, and yes the road has been smoother this year compared to last. Yet I personally feel uninspired by how it is being accomplished, and I'm interested in what the consensus is. When we agreed as a support that we would rather start at the bottom than be handed some 'charity' i.e. a halfway house (did you notice the clamour of the press to praise the Rangers support for that? No I didn't either) I think we all saw an opportunity to create a football philosophy, a new ethos, away from the pressures of playing in the same league as them.

OK, after a while last season, it was clear that it wasn't going to be that easy. So get the first season over and then start to see something new. No? Am I just in the wrong mood but are there any signs that we are going to accomplish any of this by the time we get back to the top?

Already Ally is talking about "needing millions to do better than top six"!!! I watched our route one football to beat East Fife. I watched Nicky Law excited at the start of the season talk about how we were going to play a very high line due to our superior fitness and always be on the front foot. Nicky started on fire, scoring great goals, and then what? Ally tells him to lie a bit deeper and the rest is there to see....

If it is better than my mood is telling me then I'm open to criticism - no problem. Can anyone say hand on heart though that these won't be wasted years?

Good post, we have already wasted 2 years and will waste another 2 en route to the SPL where we will be found out, over spending and rushing to find excuses and people to blame for the problem when we have known from the start what the problem is. It's just that no one has any will or desire to change it. People see us winning and think everything is ok, i say it's papering over the cracks and all is not ok. What we have done to Nicky Law is nothing short of scandalous. And if i was David Templeton, young Fraser Aird or Barrie McKay and seen centre midfielders playing where i should be i would be raging.

I think people are unrealistic about what they thought three seasons in the lower leagues would bring.

When do you ever seen a team progress through three consecutive leagues and not strengthen with a better quality of player. I understand people wanted to see good young players coming through whilst playing nice attractive passing football - this was never going to be the case.

I do however feel we could have spent a little wiser and saved ourselves some money but that may have put off a lot of fans turning up week in week out and in turn caused us as a club to go backwards.

Overall I am relatively happy with what I am seeing.

On another note I see the Clyde super scoreboard are still claiming that we would struggle in the top 6 in the premier league.

Do I have to remind people that the likes of Barcelona and Ajax have both recently been beaten by Celtic?

But I can see the team talk now - "Right, I want you to go out and play like Barcelona. Lewis, you're Messi."

Can we actually give an example where we don't have to get into half a billion pounds worth of debt to emulate? Or with regards to Dortmund, have to raise £300m income in order to spend over £100m on the team.

It's like being annoyed a tennis coach doesn't seem to be teaching your reasonably talented son to play like Andy Murray.

And here was me thinking that everyone wanted us to play like Queen of the South - oh but wait, aren't we doing better than that? Ok, that moan backfired, so let's upgrade our comparison to Barcelona, you can't argue with that one.

I would love someone on here to use this philosophy for some Sunday league team and take the country by storm. After all, it sounds so easy...

Do I have to remind people that the likes of Barcelona and Ajax have both recently been beaten by Celtic?

But I can see the team talk now - "Right, I want you to go out and play like Barcelona. Lewis, you're Messi."

Can we actually give an example where we don't have to get into half a billion pounds worth of debt to emulate? Or with regards to Dortmund, have to raise £300m income in order to spend over £100m on the team.

It's like being annoyed a tennis coach doesn't seem to be teaching your reasonably talented son to play like Andy Murray.

And here was me thinking that everyone wanted us to play like Queen of the South - oh but wait, aren't we doing better than that? Ok, that moan backfired, so let's upgrade our comparison to Barcelona, you can't argue with that one.

I would love someone on here to use this philosophy for some Sunday league team and take the country by storm. After all, it sounds so easy...

Sure, just copy Celtic. Their European record is to be admired and they have Scottish football completely sewn up.

In reality we should be taking bits from all the successful clubs around the world and finding what aspects would suit our club and what will work here. Of course we need the staff to make that work.