Former Rangers defender Arthur Numan hopes the Ibrox side play Celtic in this season's Scottish Cup despite fearing Ally McCoist's men would lose.

Rangers and Celtic have fourth round ties to contend with against Falkirk and Hearts, respectively.

"It would be great to see Rangers play against Celtic," Numan told BBC Radio Scotland.

"But on the other hand, Celtic at the moment are a little bit too strong. But in the cup, everything is possible."

The 45-time capped Netherlands international won the Scottish Cup three times with Rangers during his time at Ibrox between 1998 and 2003.

"It's not realistic if you compare the Rangers team with Celtic," he said.

"Celtic have a far better team, the better players and more experienced players. Rangers have a team full of youngsters who can only learn from this.

"To be honest, I'm already looking forward to Rangers and Celtic playing against each other.

"I've played so many games. I've been involved in World Cups, European Championships, Champions League.

"But to be honest the atmosphere between Rangers and Celtic, to me, is still the best. Hopefully within two years' time they [Rangers] will be playing in the Premier League again."

Numan has followed Rangers' League One progress with interest this season and is delighted to see them hold a commanding lead at the top of the division.

And he hopes the youngsters playing in the first team benefit from being exposed to so much football early on.

"They are flying [in League One] but I didn't expect anything less than that," added Numan.

"They [the youngsters] get an opportunity to play for Rangers, of course not against the best teams in Scotland, but they can prove every week that they're good enough to play for Rangers."

Would maybe be a season too early for us but I would take them at Ibrox.

So Mr Numan, Rangers have a team full of youngsters who can only learn from this, really? What a load of shit.

Which team full of youngsters? Not a starting 11 with 9 spl veterans, a little wee guy called Mohsni, an established international and an overall ton of experience like we fielded to scrape past Dunfermline at home?

Bell; Foster, McCulloch, Mohsni, Wallace; Black; Peralta, Law, Templeton; Little, Daly

We do, however, have some youngsters in the squad. But they are not fit for our manager's purpose and is the reason we are running scared of Forfar. Not so sure McCoist will be looking to play his buddy Neil's bhoys anytime soon.

We don't have a team full of youngsters this year.

Well, if you count youngsters as under 24, we've only got a squad of 15. There are 12 more under 24.

I think Celtic have a much larger and more experienced squad probably about three to four times our wage bill. I'm not interested in playing them yet (especially as they have become the scummiest club in history) and don't think it's a level playing field. I'm happy to wait two more years when we should be bolstering our squad to challenge them.

I would assume that Numan is not exactly up to scratch with our state right now ... and was goaded into the question by the usual suspects. I for one hope that we won't meet the Yahoos anytime soon. That said, sending them tumbling out of the Cup in the same week as they wave good-bye to the CL has some appeal.

Anyway, that will be a poisonous affair beyond compare ... and you hope that ground security and policing will be at 200%.

I would assume that Numan is not exactly up to scratch with our state right now ... and was goaded into the question by the usual suspects. I for one hope that we won't meet the Yahoos anytime soon. That said, sending them tumbling out of the Cup in the same week as they wave good-bye to the CL has some appeal.

Anyway, that will be a poisonous affair beyond compare ... and you hope that ground security and policing will be at 200%.

They will be out of the CL long before we could possibly meet them in the cup. But let's not kid ourselves, drawing them in the cup would be a nightmare.