Ross County and St Johnstone apologise for no minute's silence

Ross County and St Johnstone have apologised for not observing a minute's silence ahead of their Scottish Premiership matches on Saturday.

In a statement issued on Remembrance Sunday, the Dingwall club said the issue was "an error of omission arising from a failure to address changes in staff responsibilities".

The Perth Saints' apology referred to "an oversight".

There were silences held at two of six Scottish Premiership games on Saturday.

One was observed at Aberdeen's home match against Hearts and at Motherwell, where Dundee United were the visitors.

St Johnstone striker Nigel Hasselbaink holds off Kilmarnock's Mark O'Hara

St Johnstone faced Kilmarnock in the Scottish Premiership on Saturday

However, in addition to County, who hosted Celtic, and St Johnstone, who were playing Kilmarnock, there was no silence at Easter Road, where Hibernian met Inverness CT, or at Firhill, where Partick Thistle took on St Mirren.

The Jags had offered free admission to the match to all serving Armed Forces personnel.

Some Hibs players wore poppies on their jerseys.

Ross County say the matter is being dealt with internally.

Their statement added: "As a club we are both honoured and humbled by the sacrifice of the men and women who have given of themselves for the benefit of others in times of war and conflict, particularly throughout the past 99 years and even more so as we approach the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War."

St Johnstone published an apology on their website on Saturday.

The statement said: "This very important occasion has always been acknowledged by the club in the past and, as is the case every year, poppies have been on sale at McDiarmid Park in the run-up to Remembrance Day.

"We offer apologies to any supporters who were disappointed at the lack of a silence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24893073

I disagree a bit, I think Alexscott's point about expecting support for the forces as a whole being forthcoming - and being visibly forthcoming, or else - is a valid and unsettling one & I don't like it one bit. My issue is with the expression of such a dissenting view during Remembrance Sunday itself - I just think that is being rude to those people who don't swallow the media line but for whatever private reasons of their own find solace in the two minute's silence.

There is a legitimate debate to be had, but surely not on this day of all days.

I would refine that arguement even more (or nit-pick, if you prefer) and say that there is no better day than today to discuss what and who we are remembering.

We as a culture have become enamoured with war, (almost certainly because we don't suffer from those wars in any tangible way) and at some point we really will have to examine this fetishistic relationship we have with militarism.

Yes, by all means, let us remember those who died in the service of their country (among them my maternal grandfather who died fighting the Japanese) but let's remember, too, the other victims of war the great majority of whom are and always will be civilians. The poppy should, more than anything, represent a recognition of the waste and shamefulness of war and represent an apology to all of those who have died in them.

Where I wholeheartedly agree is that the two minute's silence is *not* the time for this debate and anyone who desecrates those two minutes is committing breach of the peace and should be punished to the full extent allowed by law, imho.

It is interesting the responses to this post on different forums. On RM there are a small minority who agree with abandoning the ceremony if it is likely to be disrupted - I really cant understand that line of reasoning - it seems like completely acquiescing to the rule of mob.

Not that is ever likely to happen due to fixture arranging - but imagine if there was an OF game at Ibrox on the weekend of Remembrance - by the aforementioned line of reasoning we should forego the ceremony.

I'm not overly fussed if people choose not to wear poppies or observe silences but I do so myself not out of misplaced loyalty to my country (or its military) but out of respect to the millions of people killed in wars that allowed us to make such decisions nowadays.

I use the minutes silence to remember families members who were killed in service and to appreciate how lucky I am not to have suffered the same fate our kin did when called up just one or two generations ago. 60 years ago we'd perhaps been a bit more appreciative of our freedoms than we are now.

Like others, I see the above as just good manners more than enough else. If some choose it to hijack it to promote their own political cause then so be it - won't affect me.

I have no doubt that Celtic pleaded with Ross County and the match day police team to omit the minute's silence on Saturday. It's a grotesque game that Celtic play with their degenerate fans and the rest of the world, very rarely will they even criticise their own let alone throw them to the wolves of public opinion.

To the guys who are not so enamored with Remembrance tributes I can only try to bring some perspective to the table, it need not be any more than 60 seconds of respect for dead people, is that too much to ask from ANY civilsied society? Rangers do it with a little more pomp and ceremony granted but it's always respectful. The worrying aspect of Celtic's defiance is that it's now become more than a simple act of respect, it's become a political and quasi-religious issue. the more they try to bury the dirty little secrets of their support the more they demonstrate that they have something to hide.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being Irish or catholic.

This is solely about sectarianism and support for republican terrorism.

Even though many celtic fans will shake their heads in disbelief at the actions of their fellow fans, their club has sold them out yet again by tacitly condoning their vile actions.

No doubt in the next day or two, we will see the cfc public relations swing in to action with some kind of gesture to win over those decent fans who were also disgusted like everyone else.

However, as what happens every year, they won't have to try too hard.

A vile club with vile supporters.

It is interesting the responses to this post on different forums. On RM there are a small minority who agree with abandoning the ceremony if it is likely to be disrupted - I really cant understand that line of reasoning - it seems like completely acquiescing to the rule of mob.

Quite so.

The police are refectly able and willing to use video recording to identify people singing sectarian songs and then bring them before a judge. There is no reason on earth they couldn't do exactly the same and lift every person found to be disrupting the minute's silence on the grounds of it being an action liable to cause a breach of the peace.