Anxiety

Guest Night Owl

Guest Night Owl

Got an emergency appointment today after taking what I now know to be an anxiety attack. Wasn't fun and the Doc was well impressed with the number of beats my heart was thrashing out.

Not something I want to experience again any time soon, so was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have any experience of it or know someone who has ( other than me ) :P

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks on how to beat it.

cheers.

Guest Night Owl
I had this about 26 years ago mate, wife rushed me to the Glasgow Royal - I thought it was a heart attack - was laid out on a hospital bed for a couple of hours with things attached to me, turned out it was nowt, never happened since. Here's to good health :cheers:

Thats good to hear. It felt like someone was inside my heart thumping my chest with a sledge hammer..I got a course of meds to keep my ticker from racing, but my checkover showed I'm not suffering from an illness etc so I suppose thats good.

After taking me meds earlier tonight you wouldn't believe I was crawling out my skin during that attack, because I now look/feel like that Rabbit from the Magic Round about.

By asking the question it looks like you're already on the right path, bud :)

Two people very close to me have suffered from it. The thing to understand that it is not a symptom of a weak character or any other such nonsense. It's as much an illness as the flu or the winter vomiting virus and should be regarded in the same way. There's no magic bullet but a number of things done together can help. What those things are varies from person to person.

First thing I'd do is look at TM (seriously). Everybody who has done it benefits enormously.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201310/transcendental-meditation-treatment-anxiety

Another major thing is to evaluate your diet . A lot of common foodstuffs contain additives which increase stress levels. The more natural and organic your diet is, the better you'll feel. It'll take a few weeks for the effects to be noticed, but they will be.

Guest Night Owl

Thanks for that Papa Bear.

I'm starting a drastic clean up of my diet tomorrow. I'm looking into TM and finding it interesting.

Here is hoping I can get a good nights sleep tonight and start a fresh in the morning.

I'm beginning to understand that it's a combination of environmental triggers as well as a faulty flight or fight signal to the brain which then releases adrenaline.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for that Papa Bear.

I'm starting a drastic clean up of my diet tomorrow. I'm looking into TM and finding it interesting.

Here is hoping I can get a good nights sleep tonight and start a fresh in the morning.

I'm beginning to understand that it's a combination of environmental triggers as well as a faulty flight or fight signal to the brain which then releases adrenaline.

Thanks for the info!

Another big one is talking. We generally don't do that very well as guys, but if you can find or create the opportunity to talk to people who have been through it, that helps a lot as well. The two loved ones of mine who had attacks are both women, so there was no problem as far as talking was concerned in either case ;).

Millions of people are suffering from this now and we're going to have to start looking at what's causing this 21st century disease and how we can prevent it. Personally, I reckon it has a lot to do with the increasingly unnatural work and social enviroment that we are being forced to accommodate.

Guest Night Owl
Another big one is talking. We generally don't do that very well as guys, but if you can find or create the opportunity to talk to people who have been through it, that helps a lot as well. The two loved ones of mine who had attacks are both women, so there was no problem as far as talking was concerned in either case ;).

Millions of people are suffering from this now and we're going to have to start looking at what's causing this 21st century disease and how we can prevent it. Personally, I reckon it has a lot to do with the increasingly unnatural work and social enviroment that we are being forced to accommodate.

Yeah I know what you mean about the working environment.

From forests and jungles to concrete boxes with serious levels of sensory stimulation overload.

What a crazy world this is.

Guest Night Owl

Been reading up on the score with these Bedranol slow release capsule I've been given.... Gotta love the internet when researching side effects etc..... Read about one woman having full blown spiders out the wall psychosis on 5mg when I was sitting there about to take my first 80mg hit LOL!!!!!!

Turns out a lot of people take these things for a whole load of reasons. From social anxiety disorder, public speaking, business appointments etc, even stage performers like comedians,singers and what not take them,bit of an eye opener.

Currently looking into Neuroplasticity and how the brain triggers fight or flight and turns it into a full blown anxiety attack. Really cool stuff.