ALLY McCOIST has welcomed Kenny Miller back to Murray Park to use facilities as he recovers from recent knee surgery.

But even though the manager hopes to sign another striker in January, he insists the 33-year-old’s presence at the training ground isn’t necessarily a precursor to a move back to the club.

Miller has been getting treatment at Auchenhowie over the last few days and he’s a player McCoist is a huge admirer of.

Indeed, he has spoken in the past about being keen to recruit the forward again and would likely be interested if he became available.

For the moment, however, Miller remains a Vancouver Whitecaps player – and McCoist has stressed the arrangement in place is simply to help the ex-Scotland star get back to fitness.

“It’s great to see Kenny back,” McCoist said. “We’ve got an open-door policy for our former players see a lot of the guys coming back to pay us a visit.

“We’ve offered Kenny the rehabilitation services we’ve got so Stevie Walker and the physios are looking after him in the afternoons.

“I had a good chat with Kenny this week and he has had a knee operation. He looks well considering it wasn’t that long ago.

“He’s as enthusiastic as ever and he’s in good form so he’s talking about getting back playing as soon as possible.

“Kenny is still contracted to Vancouver and do you know something? I haven’t even spoken to him about his situation there.

“The most important thing for him is that he gets himself fit again and back playing, wherever that may be.

“I won’t lie to you. I wouldn’t mind strengthening our forward area and especially now that Andy Little looks like being out for months rather than weeks.

“We haven’t touched on any conversations like that at all with Kenny though and he is with another club at this point in any case.”

McCoist feels his forward line needs strengthening after a broken cheekbone and jaw sidelined Little until next year.

Only Jon Daly and Nicky Clark are operating as recognised strikers at present in the senior squad, with Lee McCulloch playing much more often in defence these days.

The club’s second-top scorer with 10 goals, McCulloch is clearly capable of moving forward if he needs to.

McCoist doesn’t want to unsettle his side more than he has to though and added: “The skipper has been terrific for us at the back so we’ve only really got Nicky and Jon up front.

“If we can, that’s an area where we’d like to strengthen and I’d be reluctant to move Lee back up front for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he’s playing very well where he is.

“We’ve also got somebody up front in Jon who is battering in all sorts of goals at the minute so it’s an option to us but I wouldn’t be too keen on doing it.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5574-kennys-here-to-recover

We’ve got an open-door policy for our former players

I hope one or two are excluded from that list, namely Naismith and Whittaker.

The more transfer windows that pass the older Miller gets and Ive always been a fan of him but he has already lost a yard of pace and having knee operations isn't going to make him any quicker. I wouldn't like him to come back and have a bit of a poor spell.

Tbf, Daly & Miller would be blinding..for about 18 months, tops.

More likely 2 games without scoring before the piranhas go for the kill.

But, from my point of view, I'd go for it. If the money isn't daft, it's a no brainer.

I'd like to see him back.

I hope one or two are excluded from that list, namely Naismith and Whittaker.

The more transfer windows that pass the older Miller gets and Ive always been a fan of him but he has already lost a yard of pace and having knee operations isn't going to make him any quicker. I wouldn't like him to come back and have a bit of a poor spell.

I can see him having a long career like Kevin Phillips.

It would need to be some sort of pay-per-game contract, especially if he's had a knee operation. McCoist is increasingly showing himself to be a manager who prefers an experienced team rather than giving youngsters their opportunity. Perhaps after last season he feels the young players we have aren't good enough to take us back to the top. I'd tend to agree with him unfortunately.