Looking back to history for guidance today can be a thankless task. Every argument in favour of something can be interpreted another way by someone else. None the less as Andy superbly points out if we really do want to look forward we are going to have to do some unpalatable things.

Now well into my forties I've learned in life that you rarely get everything you want. Almost always you have to make concessions, sometimes big, sometimes small, sometimes easily and sometimes through gritted teeth. Like a number of people on here and in our support I spent some time living in Northern Ireland. My time there coincided with the end of the first IRA ceasefire and the Docklands bomb, the Omagh bombing, Drumcree and it's aftermath, the murder of the Quinn family in Ballymoney, the vote and signing of the Good Friday Agreement and the creation of a parliament and government in Stormont. As a Glaswegian 'Prod' I thought I'd a fair handle on Northern Ireland before I went there, I knew who were the good guys and who were the bad. It didn't take me long to realise that it wasn't as black and white as I'd thought, there were shades of grey everywhere.

To move that small part of the world forward many, many people had to make some very difficult decisions. They had to agree to work with people they had previously struggled to acknowledge were even human beings. Sometimes with good reason too. I remember meeting Jeffrey Donaldson once, he was (and remains) a high profile mainstream Unionist politician. Like most politicians I felt he was self-serving and I also felt the hardline he adopted was counter-productive. It was only when I heard his story, his background and personal tragedy did I begin to understand his views. When you are faced with the option of 'doing business' with the person you hold personally responsible for the murder of members of your family then a certain amount of reticence is understandable.

For all its faults Northern Ireland is a safer, more prosperous and better society today than it was in 1996 when I first went there. Belfast city centre is unrecognisable now to the semi-derelict ghost town it became every evening in the 1990s. It's not Utopia, it still faces social and economic problems and only a fool would think the cultural issues have simply vanished, they clearly haven't, however through engagement and the sacrifice of long held 'principles' progress is being made. Most importantly many people have forgiven, not forgotten, but have allowed the anger and resentment and their desire for 'justice' to be secondary to moving everything else forward.

We've nothing like the issues with the rest of Scottish football that a significant proportion of the people of Northern Ireland had with each other, but they managed to accept the previously unacceptable and move on. At some point, I believe, we'll need to do that too. The sooner it happens the better it'll be for us.

A last lesson from the past. At one time Queens Park were the most powerful, influential and admired football club in Scotland, if not the UK. They pioneered passing football, they helped create the Scottish FA and international football was all their invention. They dominated the game, they were the establishment. They had history (Queens Park were already 33 years old by the turn of the century) they had influence and they had money. What Queens didn't have was a vision of the future that matched the rest of Scottish football. Whilst the world was going professional Queens were sticking to their principles, were refusing to be involved the 'new' league structure preferring to stick to the cup competitions only.

As ridiculous as it might seem today Queens Park could have remained the dominant force in this country. Had they embraced professionalism their geographic location, influential 'members' and players and their history of success and innovation would surely have seen them remain the dominant Glasgow club. As Celtic became the successful club they did in the early 20th century it would surely have been Queens Park, not Rangers, who the non-Celtic-minded looked too for a champion.

We'll never know for sure. But we should always remember that a south-side Glasgow football club, once recognised as one of the best in world, innovative and progressive allowed the world to pass it by because it didn't want to embrace how the rest of the country was feeling. Anyone who thinks it couldn't happen to us should remember that we all thought that about administration and failed CVAs at one time too.

Lastly, making a sacrifice, carrying out those first few steps forward doesn't mean everything is forgotten. It'll never be forgotten, the last couple of years will remain a scar on Rangers face for years to come. But we've a duty to try and bring this to an end. We live in the period of football that history will judge as the worst ever in Scotland. Our professional game is in tatters. Our administrators are useless, our clubs are self-serving, our players even more so. Our national side are a joke and our children know more about Real Madrid and Manchester City than the clubs we play each week.

If we genuinely care about Rangers, about football and specifically football in this country we will have to play our part in fixing it. That will involve us engaging with people who dislike us, a lot. That will involve us putting what has happened behind us, not forgetting, but not allowing it to cloud our feelings towards those we might see as responsible for much of it.

Rangers support can change position, regain our place as the pre-eminent football club in this country and lead from the front. Or we can wait for someone else to make the first move. We should be prepared for the reality that they might not of course and consider what that might actually mean for us.

PS Be grateful that we've got posters like Andy Steel and D'Art who provide , free of charge, well written, thought provoking streams of consciousness to challenge firmly held views. Be grateful the team who provide Gersnet and admin it actively encourage them. Echo-chambers are not what we need at this time.

free of charge, well written, thought provoking streams of consciousness

I wish I knew how to get rich off writing on Rangers forums!!

You can add your own name to that list, btw. The Queen's Park analogy is superb, sir, superb.

Andy

I think something we discussed the other day may be a factor - money. There are clearly a few Bears adamant they will never return to an SPL (you know what I mean) ground so long as the status quo remains.

I have no idea how widespread such an attitude is, though I share it myself, given the amount of revenue Dundee United lost over the Scottish Cup tie this may be a determining factor.

An(other) excellent piece, amms.

In principle I agree with every word you've written, (except for the bit about the national team being a joke) but neither you nor Andy have addressed the core issue; namely, we can be as willing and as ready to 'make peace' as we want to be, but if the other side is still shooting at us, what is the point in trying?

First of all they have to recognise that there is a problem and that we are actually as sinned against as we are sinners, then they have to recognise their culpability in that problem, then they have to make amends. Until such time as they are willing to join us at the negotiating table, we should try to make life as difficult as possible for all of those clubs, individuals and organisations who have shown themselves to be, to quote the title of the thread, enemies.

Bringing a state of conflict to an end is, as you both say, not only desirable, it is essential. In any conflict where one of the sides is not wiped out there has to be bitter compromise; that's accepted. However, so far They refuse to accept any narrative other that the Huns did wrong/cheated/stole/swindled and until such time as they do accept their own wrongdoing it is unrealistic to expect us to swallow our pride and pretend nothing has happened.

To quote someone from these parts, "Even on our knees we're still taller than them". We can all take a period of beingon our knees whilst we recover our strength, but asking us to get onto our belly is a step too far.

Hmmm, annoyingly good points, gentlemen.

I certainly won't be going to any former SPL grounds, and I doubt if I'll bother going to any away games from now on. Ironically, given the whining from home fans about how they hate the atmosphere when Rangers visit, I find the hostility we receive wearying. Given I've no ties with any Orangey bits, smashing or otherwise, I get somewhat bored at being labelled a dirty Orange bastard for two hours. So truce or not, my money will be staying in Rangers coffers. Of course, if it's safe there is another matter!

At the very least, all those fans who for years have whined about how they refuse to follow their local team when the bogitts are in town will have the chance to fill their stadia to the rafters if fewer and fewer Bluenoses follow on to away games. Ha!

How to make peace with someone shooting at you is rather harder to answer, alas. Perhaps by forming alliances with the shooter's allies and sneaking round on him from the back?

Amms

I think thats an excellent piece. However (and you probably sensed this was coming)...

We'll never know for sure. But we should always remember that a south-side Glasgow football club, once recognised as one of the best in world, innovative and progressive allowed the world to pass it by because it didn't want to embrace how the rest of the country was feeling

If we were to do that we would look upon ourselves with considerable disdain and malevolence. When you read "Follow we will" and the narration onconduct of the SFA/SPL you can draw one of 2 conclusions :- either they were grossly incompetent or they exercised considerable negative bias towards our club. Notwithstanding which option you choose neither is acceptable and something has to give.

Rather than such a desire to see enforced change being based on revenge - it far more basic than that - its about our survival. With the same individuals in place who is to say we will not be at their mercy again some time in the future ?

Amms

I think thats an excellent piece. However (and you probably sensed this was coming)...

If we were to do that we would look upon ourselves with considerable disdain and malevolence. When you read "Follow we will" and the narration onconduct of the SFA/SPL you can draw one of 2 conclusions :- either they were grossly incompetent or they exercised considerable negative bias towards our club. Notwithstanding which option you choose neither is acceptable and something has to give.

Rather than such a desire to see enforced change being based on revenge - it far more basic than that - its about our survival. With the same individuals in place who is to say we will not be at their mercy again some time in the future ?

It's a good point. I suppose we need to sort out our boardroom and club to ensure 'they' don't get the opportunity to try and kill us again.

I think being actively involved in the sport and its leadership is imperative for our future survival. I also think having better relationships at all levels with our fellow clubs is also in our long term interest (and theirs).

I read and enjoyed (and indeed reviewed) Follow We Will and agree the that we were very badly served by our association, league and fellow clubs. We can't do anything about that now, all we can do is ensure it doesn't happen again.

We can only affect change from the inside, remaining outside simply means our voice will continue to be ignored.

An(other) excellent piece, amms.

In principle I agree with every word you've written, (except for the bit about the national team being a joke) but neither you nor Andy have addressed the core issue; namely, we can be as willing and as ready to 'make peace' as we want to be, but if the other side is still shooting at us, what is the point in trying?

First of all they have to recognise that there is a problem and that we are actually as sinned against as we are sinners, then they have to recognise their culpability in that problem, then they have to make amends. Until such time as they are willing to join us at the negotiating table, we should try to make life as difficult as possible for all of those clubs, individuals and organisations who have shown themselves to be, to quote the title of the thread, enemies.

Bringing a state of conflict to an end is, as you both say, not only desirable, it is essential. In any conflict where one of the sides is not wiped out there has to be bitter compromise; that's accepted. However, so far They refuse to accept any narrative other that the Huns did wrong/cheated/stole/swindled and until such time as they do accept their own wrongdoing it is unrealistic to expect us to swallow our pride and pretend nothing has happened.

To quote someone from these parts, "Even on our knees we're still taller than them". We can all take a period of beingon our knees whilst we recover our strength, but asking us to get onto our belly is a step too far.

Well that's the problem, who makes the first move. Someone always has to make the first move and nobody wants to. But I'd ask you this, later, after peace breaks out, who remembers who made the first move, indeed who cares?

Well that's the problem, who makes the first move. Someone always has to make the first move and nobody wants to. But I'd ask you this, later, after peace breaks out, who remembers who made the first move, indeed who cares?

You're just not getting this, mate.

We could make the first move by marching openly towards them, proudly in seried ranks, like a platoon of Prussian dragoons heading for Napoleonic canon. We could sneak up covertly like a spy in a Czech railway siding, offering hushed conversations and discreet agreements. We could bedeck ourselves in garlands of bourgainvillea and announce our intentions by sashaying up to Hamden like a troop of Mexican dancing girls to the beat of a mariachi band - it makes no differentce.

They are simply not interested in making or receiving a first move.

They are not interested in anything other than our emasculation and humiliation.

They are not interested in peace because they have not yet suffered.