Fire up the rolls & slice, pour a cuppa and enjoy/suffer the latest epistle from your local Handwringer in Chief.

Liberal democracy is a good thing.

It certainly has its faults, but overall a system which allows you to disagree with it without consequence is always preferable to one which imposes penalty on speech or thought. You might think, given the experience of the 20th century, that this is a lesson humanity has finally learned, but alas the lesson of history is that mistakes are seldom, if ever, absorbed.

These thoughts came to mind last week as I re-read my copy of Clive James's wonderful 'Cultural Amnesia', a collection of essays on the effects of totalitarianism on humanity and the humanities in the last century. As always with Mr James, it is genius written with the lightest of touches: the best kind of teaching. You can pick up a copy for about £3 on Amazon and I'd heartily recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cultural-Amnesia-Necessary-Memories-History/dp/039333354X

The defence of freedom of speech was quite the hot potato this week, with some idiot celtc fans feeling the need to compare a 14th century bandido with a 20th century murderer. As if the 700 years in between hadn't taught the Irish anything; no, they were fit to be subjected to medieval methods of warfare. If only they could see how insulting they are to the people they stupidly profess to defend!

And in fairness, loud had been the opprobrium from on high within Parkhead. Mr Lawwell don't like it, Mr Lennon don't like it, and surely the final nail for celtc fans, even Mr Spiers, he don't like it. But what is it they don't like, exactly? Well, the timing and the place. Not the picture of a mentally unbalanced killer with a persecution complex added to a natural penchant for psychosis on banners, but the doing of it in such a way as to embarrass celtc fc.

In what was probably a throwaway but nonetheless revealing comment last week, Mr Spiers was of the opinion that 'there are rights and wrongs about the IRA but the football is not the place' to discuss them. I have spend a few days trying to think what the 'rights ' of the IRA were and have drawn a blank. Perhaps some other readers can write in with their solutions to this problem. A free bus ride around Belfast town centre, loudly setting out your thesis, will be the prize. On the rare occasions I think about Ireland, I guess that in the long run of history, it will probably end up as the one country. Not exactly plan 'A' to make you popular in amongst the Vanguard Bears, but there it is. But if it happens, it will be through democracy, not violence. Terrorism is always wrong.

So here's where poor Clive James is roped in to educate the wretched Mr Spiers and his pals in the east. Terrorism is always wrong. Whether it be Bobby Sands or, as we discovered last week, some madmen in the British Army running about acting like an Argentine death squad, it is always wrong. And using it to score cheap points is always wrong, and not just on the grounds of timing - on the grounds that rehabilitating terrorists in the way that celtc fans and the BBC have done this week ('IRA hunger striker' is so much less aggressive than 'terrorist murderer', isn't it?) is dangerous to democracy.

As the lessons of the 20th century showed us, we need to be on our guard against those who would deny free speech. It may seem hypocritcal to ask for free speech and then deny it for the Green Brigade, but with the freedom to speak comes the need to speak with responsibility. No more throwaway remarks about 'rights and wrongs', some things are always wrong. You don't have to be a cynic to wonder where the Scottish Journalist's Book of Adjectives to Describe Current Buns went this week: no 'vile', no 'songs of hate', no 'embarrassment to Scotland in the 21st century', 'no sectarian bitterness', no quotes from Peter Kearney about how awful it all is. Just 'rights and wrongs' and 'maybe the wrong time and place'.

We can only hope that such lunatics as Bobby Sands never return to our shores to demonstrate to the likes of Mr Spiers just how thin the divide between liberal democracy and terror in our society is. Hopefully he will get 'Cultural Amnesia' for his Christmas - one way or another, he, and the celtc fans, need to get the message: terrorism is always wrong.

But, as always, there's a but. And while it has been lovely to bask in the reflected inglory of the other mob this week, we must be careful what we wish for.

For should the amazing happen and Vincent Lunny actually dare chib celtc for once, you can bet he will be on uber-Orange alert for something to even up the score. And we will give him the ammo he needs, I fear. 'What's the handwringer moaning about now?' I hear you ask. Well...

'Super Rangers' for a start. It is going to have to go, and it would be better if we did it rather than had another war. But even that is a bit old hat, and I'm not keen to have that same argument over again. What's bugging me is maybe something that Lunny wouldn't notice, but a super sensitive handwringer such as myself does.

When big Daly got us off the mark against Arbroath, about 50 Bears chose to express their happiness with a burst of The Sash. You may think that a coincidence: I don't. I think it was a classless and tasteless riposte, along the lines of 'Aye, well, you may have scored, but don't think we're going anywhere!' At least they left out the add on, which about 10 Bears didn't at kick off. Nevertheless, what a nice touch to thank a model professional. I hope they get over it, and soon.

Now, I actually think that reducing the idiot rump of our fan base to about 70 or 80 away fans is something pretty amazing, and the club and most of the fans ought to be congratulated for it. But they won't, you know they won't. In a society which falls over itself to avoid offending the sensibilities of IRA supporters you know that as long as one Bluenose yells FTP we will be hauled up. We could easily lose the musical two fingers to Jon Daly, and we should lose the forbidden line in Super Rangers. It will make them look worse, and that's always good! And especially, we could lose the UVF tribute lines....terrorism is ALWAYS wrong, remember.

Weirdly, in Scotland support for terrorism seems to be considered slightly less offensive than what I stubbornly believe is meaningless yells from football fans with a drink in them. You'll never persuade me that the Green Brigade were all steaming when they rattled up what must have been the least catchy slogan last week, and you'll never persuade me that the vast majority of 'sectarian' events in Scotland are little more than Rangers-Celtic tittle tattle.

But that's how the chips are falling, thanks in part to liberal consciences like Mr Spiers'. We can't let distaste for the like of him push us away from defending liberal democracy, but there are one or two things we could do to make it better. It may make you feel slightly sick to actually have to tell people this is 2013: it should do. But Mr Lawwell, Mr Lennon, Mr Spiers, and our own hero-worshippers: terrorism is always wrong.

Edited by andy steel

At their previous home game against Abergreen a similar banner was on display about the H Block and an association between Bobby Sands & William Wallace. Yet neither the SFA or SPFL said anything until after their AC Milan game when UEFA almost immediately launched an investigation.It was as if they now had to do something because UEFA were going to do something.

Why was that? Are the SFA & SPFL afraid to take any action against Celtc? Are they corrupt? And what about the so-called authorities in Scotland too? Why do they constantly do nothing about this club's support and its blatant show of support for outlawed terrorist organisations ?

Is it only UEFA who will take the lead ?

Fire up the rolls & slice, pour a cuppa and enjoy/suffer the latest epistle from your local Handwringer in Chief.

For should the amazing happen and Vincent Lunny actually dare chib celtc for once, you can bet he will be on uber-Orange alert for something to even up the score. And we will give him the ammo he needs, I fear. 'What's the handwringer moaning about now?' I hear you ask. Well...

Andy,

Your not wrong. Here's tomorrow's Scotsman with the inimitable Tom English. The idiot who threw the flare has allowed English to use the first five paragraphs of his article to minimise the damage done by the GB and put it on an equal footing with the behaviour yesterday of part of our support. It just hands Lunny what he needs to escape doing his job properly. Either way Rangers will pay for that nonsense.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/falkirk-0-2-rangers-scottish-cup-win-for-gers-1-3215167

Where do you start with a charlatan like Spiers ?

I wonder if the liberal conscience of Spiers, which saw the rights & wrongsof the IRA, has arguments with anti-sectarian crusader Spiers or the Spiers who gave testimony to the Scottish government when they were re-thinking Offensive Behaviour at Football Matches legislation ?

I find it hard to think of anyone I detest more than him. George Galloway comes very close, but at least he is consistent if nothing else.

Do they sing the sash everytime Daly scores?

I didn't know that, idiots if true.

I doubt it, but I don't regard that as being idiotic. And while I am at it, I'm no great fan of the "Ultra's" attitude when it comes to their version of supporting the club, i.e. singing songs no matter what happens on the park or in spite of what could harm the club. For what I did hear was Fathers Advice and that line about "joining the YCV", which caused some upheaval of late (not least when being equated with their IRAoke).

As for freedom of speech. We should not get fooled here. Political or semi-political statements are, AFAIK, not allowed at football grounds, be it under SFA/SPFL or UEFA jurisdiction. Likewise, any club (or concert hall, opera house, or pub) can set their own "law of the land" rules in motion within their ground's premises, be it smoking, drinking alcohol, or chanting unsavoury songs. Anyone getting entry by default agrees to this "law of the land" and is willingly acting against it. What he's allowed in his own home or in Hyde Park does not matter.

Furthermore, freedom of speech does not include being free to act against the law. And when it comes to H-Block folk or other terrorist, the law is pretty clear ...

Terrorist Act 2006 (opens PDF):

PART 1

OFFENCES

Encouragement etc. of terrorism

1 Encouragement of terrorism

-- (1) This section applies to a statement that is likely to be understood by some or all of the members of the public to whom it is published as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to them to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism or Convention offences.

-- (2) A person commits an offence if—

--- (a) he publishes a statement to which this section applies or causes another to publish such a statement; and

--- (b) at the time he publishes it or causes it to be published, he—

(i) intends members of the public to be directly or indirectly encouraged or otherwise induced by the statement to commit, prepare or instigate acts of terrorism or Convention offences; or

(ii) is reckless as to whether members of the public will be directly or indirectly encouraged or otherwise induced by the statement

to commit, prepare or instigate such acts or offences.

-- (3) For the purposes of this section, the statements that are likely to be understood by members of the public as indirectly encouraging the commission or preparation of acts of terrorism or Convention offences include every statement which—

--- (a) glorifies the commission or preparation (whether in the past, in the future or generally) of such acts or offences; and

--- (b) is a statement from which those members of the public could reasonably be expected to infer that what is being glorified is being glorified as conduct that should be emulated by them in existing circumstances.

-- (4) For the purposes of this section the questions how a statement is likely to be understood and what members of the public could reasonably be expected to infer from it must be determined having regard both—

--- (a) to the contents of the statement as a whole; and

--- (b) to the circumstances and manner of its publication.

-- (5) It is irrelevant for the purposes of subsections (1) to (3)—

--- (a) whether anything mentioned in those subsections relates to the commission, preparation or instigation of one or more particular acts of terrorism or Convention offences, of acts of terrorism or Convention offences of a particular description or of acts of terrorism or Convention offences generally; and,

--- (b) whether any person is in fact encouraged or induced by the statement to commit, prepare or instigate any such act or offence.

Some of our support are just as bad as them, if not in the same volume thankfully.

I long for the day when our less learned fans finally wake up to the damage that they inflict on us with every Bobby Sands chant or Irish folk song.